Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,996
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch), 1,375 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#239710 10/30/10 11:00 PM
M
manac Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Great site! Iam in the process of researching for a pond that I will be building in the spring ,lots of good info on here.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Manac and welcome to Pond Boss.

If you haven't already then I highly recommend that you purchase "Perfect Pond...Want One?" located here.

Thanks for joining up and posting!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Welcome aboard. We need more northern members! grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yellow perch, walleye, smallmouth and / or trout are all good options for your new pond.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
manac Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Not sure if my pond will be big enough for fish but would be nice. I have my own equipment to build it with so that will not be a problem, but would like to be able to take a dip in it also. Don't know of anyone around here ever building there own pond and I have asked around alot, so I will have many questions.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Several here have built their own ponds.
1. For dug ponds it is important to build a well compacted liner forming the basin that will minimize leakage and water loss while maintaining a full pond. This is not so imporatant for ponds with dams and they receive a steady water supply. Sheepsfoot rollers are specially designed for compacting soil.
2. Second important item is locate the pond so it has access to some sort of aeration - either electric or windmill (good wind exposure). Aeration improves water quality and helps increase the poundage of fish the pond can support. A real small pond with constant good water quality with proper management can support a surprising amount of fish. High organic loading to the pond from either internal (growths)or external (windblown) sources combined with lack of aeration causes most pond water quality problems.
3. Your pond does not have to be large (greater than 0.2ac) in your area to successfully raise a few quality fish. But in your location a depth greater than 15ft is a benefit (18'-20' best). Shallow ponds in areas of heavy snow cover and extended ice cover are prone to winter kill due to lack of sunlight getting through ice to water below. Keeping snow off 25% a small pond during winter will greatly reduce a chance winter fish kills. Snow greater then 3"-6" should not lay on most of the ice surface for longer than 2 weeks. Locate pond for easy access to remove snow (shoveling, machine or aeration).

4. You can grow YP, SMB, a few walleye or just some trout in a 0.2 ac pond. We here can provde advice and suggestions once the pond is built. Some trout can even be raised in 0.1 ac pond esp if the pond has regular inflow from spring water or ground water. You won't be able to grow lots of fishbut can definately grow a few quality fish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/01/10 05:20 PM.

M
manac Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My pond is going to be approx. .25 ac in size the dirt is of high quality water holding clay. There is a natural pond (slough) only 300 feet away that is feed by run off and holds approx 2 million gal of water it is only about 6 feet deep. I am hoping to use the slough in conjunction with the new pond by pumping water from the slough to the pond and then let it flow back to the slough. I am planning on aerating the pond and possible the slough also. This is being built in a condo corporation so the maintenance and power will be divided amongst everyone. The pond will be cleared of snow in winter for skating and curling. I am in the process of get pictures and also update pictures as I go.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B

That sounds like the plan will work and pond can grow good fish.

A
A
We raise trout year after year in a 30,000 gal pond. The problem is once you catch 1 or 2 fish in the summer the rest won't bite for a few hours. The secret is to use some shade on south side (conifer or something simular, and evaporative cooling devices such as a waterfall or surface aerator. We use a 1/4 hp kasco fountain (eagle nozzel on a timer to run whenever the temp is colder than 20 C. We also have a 50 gpm water pump on the water fall. The water has never reached above 21.5 deg C. Our 2 mill gal ponds get to the same temp.

Lorne Louden
Ackenberry Trout Farms

Lorne
Ackenberry Pond Pro Supplies
www.ackenberrytroutfarms.com
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Welcome to the PB forum Lorne, we need more trout people to share their experiences.
What species of trout do you raise at your trout farm?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to PB. You can raise fish in .25 acres.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: Ackenberry
We raise trout year after year in a 30,000 gal pond. The problem is once you catch 1 or 2 fish in the summer the rest won't bite for a few hours. The secret is to use some shade on south side (conifer or something simular, and evaporative cooling devices such as a waterfall or surface aerator. We use a 1/4 hp kasco fountain (eagle nozzel on a timer to run whenever the temp is colder than 20 C. We also have a 50 gpm water pump on the water fall. The water has never reached above 21.5 deg C. Our 2 mill gal ponds get to the same temp.

Lorne Louden
Ackenberry Trout Farms

I would be really interested in reading more about water cooling techniques from someone with first-hand experience. Any chance you could start up a thread to discuss your use of aeration, waterfalls, shade, and the like to keep pond water cool?

Last edited by txelen; 02/23/11 09:34 PM.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
me too...welcome Canucks! Two new CA PB members on one post - suhweet!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
A
We raise Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout and Grass Carp. We also have a 1100 sq foot retail store.

Lorne
A
A
Yes Ewest, but the fish must be fed at least a couple times a week. Originaly I thought the ammonia would get to high but this was not the case. Water temp in the summer was our only issue to deal with.
This is nothing compared to the problem of having up to 30 inches of ice on the pond. We had to develop insulated airline bundles to prevent air line freeze up once and for all.

Lorne

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner