Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,065
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,553
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
13 members (Boondoggle, JoshMI, Angler8689, Jason D, Snipe, esshup, Brian from Texas, Sunil, azteca, Jambi, Theo Gallus, tim k, Ibanez540r), 813 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#239394 10/27/10 04:15 PM
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
had to show y'all this fish. it's one of my babies that i'm trying to grow. this one is just off the charts. 4lbs. 5oz. at only 17.5"! from all that i've learned here and elsewhere, a healthy 17.5" bass is "supposed to" weigh anywhere from 3 to 3.3 pounds or about 3lbs. 5oz. using that as a standard. this fish weighed a whopping pound more than what it was supposed to at a mere 17.5"! don't mean to brag and i hope this ain't taken that way. it's just that i'm pretty stoked about this. looks like my plan is working! the part that i'm happiest about is that these are regular old 2 pound kentucky lake "mutt bass" that i'm starting with. barely 15" keepers. no special strains or genetics. here's a couple of pics. the first is a view from the top. a little hard to see due to the reflection (sorry ) but still easy to see this bass' overall shape. look how small the head is. look how thick the fish is. the next is a shot from the side. girth on this fish is just freakish. o.k., i'm done now. thanks for bearing with me. just hard not to get excited when you are able to produce fish like this. a big thanks to y'all for everything i've learned here. i still have to figure out how to calculate that "relative weight" thing though. never was very good at math.

Attached Images
10272 (2).JPG 10273 (2).JPG
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So what is your secret to grow these out like this?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
All I can say woo what a fatty. Nice job,

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is one healthy fish!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
You don't have to shut up if you keep posting pictures like that. wink. Wow.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice LMB !

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Don't shut up, keep up with the fish pictures and tips.

To calculate WR (relative weight) take the weight of your fish in pounds and tenths. Find what a fish that length is supposed to weigh. Divide your weight by the 100% WR of the fish in the chart. Your number is the WR in percentage. That fish has a WR of 130. (Boy, I hope I did that right!)

MRHELLO, if he told you what his secret was, then it wouldn't be a secret any more. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That's one of jignpig's pictures above.

What a hog!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Well I know that, but I figured we were all here to help each other out.

I am sure with the pond I have and my location I would have a hard time doing this anyway.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My guess is they have so much forage that they go to sleep with their mouths open and wake up with a full stomach.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
That must be the same thing I am doing.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Jignpig has previously hinted to how he manages his pond. He seems to literally have a personal relationship with each bass in there. He is very astute as to which bass are showing good growth rates, which are not. Which are male, which are female. He keeps the numbers of bass in his pond at well below carrying capacity by removing all slow growers and keeping those who perform well. Which as has been mentioned, means there is so much food the bass literally have forage fish swimming into their mouths. This management style may seem simple on paper, but requires a lot of work and the right "feel". The pictures of Jignpig's insanely fat bass prove he knows what he is doing...

I believe Nate also posted a few pictures of insanely fat bass from a lake he manages where bass numbers were kept very low. Again, simple concept on paper, not so simple to pull off. The use off all female bass may make the process a bit easier...

J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
thanks guys. as far as "secrets" go, i've really only held out on one big one - the particulars of my feeding program. i need y'all to understand something about that. it's not that i want to be selfish or stingy or secretive. far from it. anything i could say to help my fellow pond guys out on here, i gladly would and will. it's just that there is a very tedious balance to what i am doing. for all that i appear to have done right, there is one major problem. my fish die young. they grow like crazy for a while. they are jaw droppers with freakish proportions that a lot of folks would proudly hang on their walls. they reach lunker status at blazing speed - even some of the males. and i am able to continually keep multiple big fish in the pond at once, something that can be very hard under normal circumstances. but sadly, these lunkers usually seem to "burn out" and die prematurely. on top of that, they appear to be more "fragile" than regular old bass and i have to be careful when and how i handle them.

i believe this is due to the feeding program. i have been unable to obtain high quality food like aquamax. i have made do with what is available. as you can see from the pix, it works - big time. but like i said, success comes with a price - early mortality. to offset this, i keep a stacked population of fish in my program and recruit fish in as needed. that way when a big one does die, there are one or more behind it to take its place. i pretty much keep the same number of fish in the program at the same time - large, medium, and small sized. but it is not the same individual fish from year to year. inevitably fish die each year. fortunately my contingency plan of constantly recruiting new fish into the program acts as a continual buffer against the majority of the population crashing at once.

basically what that translates into is this. i could tell someone everyting i'm doing. if they chose to do it, they could have multiple big bass in their pond at once - 4's, 5's, and 6's easily. bigger in some cases. they would be some of the fattest, prettiest fish you ever saw. these bass would be super easy to catch for you and those you chose to educate about what you were doing. difficult if not almost impossible for anyone else to catch. but they would die. and they would die quicker than fish under ordinary circumstances. and if you weren't prepared for this inevitability, you and your pond would be set back a year or two.

that's why i don't just spill guts and tell what i'm feeding the fish. because done wrong, what i'm doing could actually set you back big time. and you can't take shortcuts. if you do, you will learn very quickly that mother nature does not like to be tinkered with and she can exact a heavy toll if you are unprepared for the challenges that arise. in other words, you can't just throw a bunch of _______________ in your pond for your fish to eat and call that good.

honestly, with what i am doing, initially GETTING a population big bass in your pond can be quick and easy. but continually KEEPING a population of big bass in your pond this way is anything but easy.

Last edited by jignpig; 10/28/10 07:17 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think what you are seeing is a result of the fast growth, and is normal for those conditions. While it would be nice to have each fish around longer right now, with selective breeding, I'll bet you improve on the longevity in a few years.

I'm satisfied with the information that I have read on the forum on how you do it, and my hat is off to you. I don't think I could do it. Keep it up, I sure am interested in the results, and the road trip to get there!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I bet he hand feeds thems frogs and crayfish with the pinchers off. grin

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm thinking Whoppers and French fries.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I guess the quote from Highlander is appropriate:

"....it's better to burn out than to fade away."

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
At any rate congrats, and keep the posts coming.

Thanks

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
So is the secret to catching your fish to use as bait whatever it is that you feed them? (You said it would be super easy to catch them if you knew how, but nearly impossible otherwise.)

1 3/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and 1/10 acre ponds in NE Smith County, East Texas.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:13 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!