Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina
18,519 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,331
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
8 members (Boondoggle, Omaha, Brian from Texas, bmicek, Angler8689, Fishingadventure, FireIsHot, DPSMESA), 1,102 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236776 10/04/10 08:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi! I am excited to be a member of this forum as I just purchased some land in Point Blank Texas that is approximately 3 acres in size and was built back in the 40's.

The shape of the lake is like a horseshoe that wraps around 2 sides of my 18 acres of land.

My goal for the pond is to maximize fish yield of LMB. I have fished it and gotten a number of 2-3 pound crappie out of it, some blue gill, and a couple of red ear perch. The maximum depth is around 20 ft. The water color is a tea color but clear to almost 25 inches at this time. There is a fair amount of shallows that harbor batchs of stink weed (which I would love to reduce). I just got a moultrie feeder and believe by reading your forum that I should begin to feed the bluegill with Aquamax or something along that line (fishmeal content).

I am unclear about what my dissolved oxygen content is throughout the day / night so I am not sure if I need an airator or not.

I am really excited to find this forum as I am new to pond / fish management.

Attached Images
lake7small.jpg lake8Small.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Crossbow, Welcome! For some reason I was half expecting to see your location listed as TenPoint, Texas. grin

For maximum LMB management, you want to eliminate any and all predators other than LMB. That means crappie, etc. Pour the forage to them, making sure that they aren't overpopulated. They should be going to sleep with their mouths open and waking up with a full belly.

It's amazing on how much forage a single LMB needs to grow. To put one pound on a single LMB, you need roughly 10 pounds of forage.

Start a log book, get a good accurate scale that weighs in tenths of a pound and a tape measure or ruler. Record weights and lengths. They will bounce around from Spring to Fall/Winter, but after a year or so you'll get a feel for the pond, and how they are growing. Look in the archives for a Relative Weight Chart. See how the fish compare to the chart. You want them to weigh more than the weights vs. lengths in the chart.

Yes, feeding the BG and RES (Red Eared Sunfish = red eared perch) will help the LMB grow bigger. Pond Boss also sells a book called Raising Trophy Bass - it's worth the price.

Take and post some pictures of the LMB that you are catching - we like pictures.

I'm sure others with more experience than I have on raising large LMB will be chiming in shortly.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Crossbow and welcome to Pond Boss. Beautiful pond!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend that you purchase a book for your Library that is written by Bob Lusk. It's one of my favorites named "Raising Trophy Bass"

This book is a great reference guides. You can find it here in the Pond Boss Book Library.

Also check out some of the "Free Pond Boss Articles" (there is a clickable button at the left). There are quite a few discussing bass production.

Thanks for joining in and posting.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks. I ordered the book! Any advise on pond aerators? I would love to find a solar powered one that can handle up to 4 acres and I do not mind building it myself.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Welcome aboard!

Poke around this forum, just read and absorb for a while. You'll learn an immense amount, especially regarding some of the finer points of big LMB production: aeration, feeding, Florida genetics, tilapia, etc.

It looks as if you have a great pond, you should be able to grow beautiful fish.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome Crossbow.

I would think twice about a solar powered aerator. Dissolved oxygen(DO) crashes occur during times of still, cloudy, overcast weather. And, the low DO condition can kill in as little as 15 minutes. A couple of days without sun can render your aerator useless.

That is also a consideration regarding windmill aeration. Windmills have gotten much more efficient and can attract the slightest breeze.

However, IMO, a couple of days of no wind and no sun can be disastrous with anything but Reddy Kilowatt.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Welcome Crossbow from a fellow Texan.
"Point Blank, Texas"?
Isn't that not far from "Cut & Shoot, Texas"?
Gotta love it!
Looks like a nice pond from your pictures.
Good luck with your project.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I would think twice about a solar powered aerator. Dissolved oxygen(DO) crashes occur during times of still, cloudy, overcast weather. And, the low DO condition can kill in as little as 15 minutes. A couple of days without sun can render your aerator useless.

+1
And the only solution to combat this is to have the solar panels charge a bank of batteries. By the time you are done designing a solar aeration system that will properly aerate a 4 acre pond using a PV charged bank of batteries you will be into HUGE money. I went through this exercise a couple of years ago for my pond.

Do you have electricity within 1,000 feet of the pond?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Nice lookin' pond. Welcome to PBF.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Zep
Welcome Crossbow from a fellow Texan.
"Point Blank, Texas"?
Isn't that not far from "Cut & Shoot, Texas"?
Gotta love it!
Looks like a nice pond from your pictures.
Good luck with your project.

My farorite names for towns that are "pond related" are in Oklahoma....Nowata and Lotawata. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
8ball3290, BradVV, patcinkc, Teg
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/08/24 03:57 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 02:02 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023