Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,935
Posts557,705
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
13 members (e_stallman, Augie, Abaggs, homewardbound, FireIsHot, FishinRod, Mainer, canyoncreek, catscratch, Sunil, Donatello, Shorthose, Theo Gallus), 785 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
RT:

Have you used stain on high traffic areas before? I prefer to get the concrete colored as it's delivered, it seems to last longer, fades more evenly and any chipped areas don't show. Yeah, it costs a bit more but in the end it's not that much more $$ for the results.

I'm sure the powder stain is more durable as stated, but not sure you can get the marble look with the powder stain that is achieved with the acid etch stain as I have applied but I am certainly no expert on the subject. I have only done a few DIY powder stain projects with sacrete and the color was more uniform or solid looking.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Well RockyT, that is indeed an extreme project to battle solar problems. I hate to see it happen to such a unique and beautiful home design, but something tells me to hang tight and wait to see what that architecturally overactive mind of yours will come up with next. I mean that in a good way.
Is the sail cloth going to be something that goes up and down based on seasons?

Actually the intent of the design is to be able to open and close it anytime you wish. I have invisioned putting two mast at the top corners on each side of the windows to pull the sail across and attach and secure them in the open position. The material is a very high end solar panel. From inside the house you can still see the open ski thru it. If all fails I'll just cut them up and make traditional sun screens out of them. I would have done that to begin with but I wanted something that opened and closed. So I can still star gaze from my lazyboy.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is some project !! Not sure I would want to go up in that lift if any wind was blowing. My mom had floors like that which she liked very much.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: ewest
That is some project !! Not sure I would want to go up in that lift if any wind was blowing. My mom had floors like that which she liked very much.

Living next to a muddy pond I would have nothing else. Especially with young ones running in and out.

FYI the wind gust was 25+ at ground level that day. I took one ride to the 30 ft peak and that was enough for me. I grabbed the camera and the hired help took over the lift ride for the rest of the day.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I installed the driveway just before all the ice hit. Looks like next week will be in the 70's. Time for the framing to begin fingers crossed.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I may have found a new career path at 50. I'm inspired to become a POST POLISHER. It took about 35 minutes first time out. The pressue washer really does the trick. 1 down 3 to go.

This is the plan I have for them.

Sorry Jeff thats all I have for this week. You will have to go over to the other forum if you want to talk cars.

Bski I have never used the widgets but I'm headed to lowes today to purchase some. Framing is suppose to start Wed weather in the 70's all week. It looked like your place around here past 2 weeks.

Last edited by rockytopper; 02/13/11 08:36 AM.

F
F
POST POLISHING IS FAST BECOMING A LOST ART...PROUD-UH-YA!!!

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Sorry Jeff thats all I have for this week. You will have to go over to the other forum if you want to talk cars.

laugh laugh laugh
I can live with that.

So you debarked (or polished) that truck entirely with a pressure washer?

That's pretty cool!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
F
F

So you debarked (or polished) that truck entirely with a pressure washer?

I Hate a truck with bark all over it!

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight

I Hate a truck with bark all over it!

My neighbor had a truck with bark all over it, however it was still attached to the tree when it fell eek

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Meant to say truNk, but of course you all knew that already.

PS:
My neighbor has a very barky little dog, wish I could de-bark that with a pressure washer.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
The framming has begun. After 2 days it is coming along nicely.Rooms are defined and second floor joist are installed.

Last edited by rockytopper; 02/17/11 08:04 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another new "view to die for", in the making. I've always loved that wooden roller coaster look. Tons of wood woven together with your own hands is a special feeling. Very nice, RockyT.

ps; what do you mean by "widgets" from Lowes?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Another new "view to die for", in the making. I've always loved that wooden roller coaster look. Tons of wood woven together with your own hands is a special feeling. Very nice, RockyT.

ps; what do you mean by "widgets" from Lowes?

Bski I am refering to the concrete ancor bolts you used for your interior walls. I left out the J-bolts when my slab was poured because some things where undefined. I am installing them now. I drilled common ancors for the porch post but are using the tricon bolts for the main walls. I was affraid the slab had set to long to shoot nails in the bottom plate but thus far it has not been an issue. I will still install the widgets next to doors and every 4 ft OC out side walls.
Thanks
Rocky

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
LOL...you mean wedgits. You nut, you.
They work great, don't they? Amazingly simple concept. A decent hammer drill is the key.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
A couple of more days of framing and it is starting to look like a house now.

The 12x50 back porch is going to be nice.

After seeing it framed we have moved the fireplace to another wall and incorporated a bay window between the french patio doors to enhance the view of the pond. It really makes a big difference in the feel and openess of the room.

Last edited by rockytopper; 02/23/11 10:55 AM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
"I may have found a new career path at 50. I'm inspired to become a POST POLISHER"

Oh yeah, you're an old "post polisher" from waaaaaay back. I still remember coming home and finding the VCR left on. Oh, the HORROR! =O

Wolfman
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
After day 4 the framing it is looking like a house.

Last edited by rockytopper; 02/24/11 02:39 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You have a very inquisitive inspector, there. Is she tough, or a creme puff?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
You have a very inquisitive inspector, there. Is she tough, or a creme puff?

I'm going to plead the 5th on that one.........

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Plead the 5th, drink a 5th, either method works when dealing with an inspector.

The house is looking great Rocky!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R

The home is pretty much dried in and I could not be happier with the result. I also finished the gate. We will add an opener in the future.

We would probably be done but I made the mistake of letting the framing crew fish. Seems like they have spent more time with a rod in their hand than a nail gun. The crappie and bass have been very active lately.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03/05/11 07:50 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Advantech (or equivalent) roof sheathing?

L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
Your house is looking great. Awesome pics.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks everyone. I may have messed up the inspector wants to move and I can't fit my big shop on this site. It's a long hike to the barn from this location.

Advantech (or equivalent) roof sheathing?

Bski I don't have the brand name handy but I used 5/8 cdx ply with radiant barrier facing inward. What you see in the pic is a roofing moisture barrier sold by Mccoys. Suppose to hold up to exposure much longer than felt will un covered. I was not sure how long it would be before we got the metal on. I have never used this product before but it survived our first high wind gust night before last without issue.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03/07/11 09:45 AM.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by Abaggs - 04/16/24 08:57 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by catscratch - 04/16/24 06:54 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?