Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,025
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, FishinRod, JoshMI, canyoncreek, Jason D, Chris Steelman, phinfan, Sunil, jludwig, Fishingadventure), 1,351 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#230281 08/09/10 02:10 PM
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That is a darn cute pup Scott. I think Omaha would make a good name. laugh

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Too many syllables. wink I'm trying to come up with a name that is easy to say loudly and is one syllable (I'll consider two syllable names as well, but one is my preference)

Try saying Kate loud, then Babe. If you were far away, you would hear all of Kate, but you'd lose the "B" in Babe and end up hearing "abe".

Reason for that is their name is the signal that they should retrieve the bird. Some retrieves are started from a ways away, and they might be upwind from you where the sound doesn't carry too well. I dunno if I'll trial her or not, but in trials two dogs are run side by side, and if both dogs go after the bird when the first dog is sent on the retrieve, the 2nd dog is out of the trial right there and then. Both dogs are supposed to sit at the gunshot or at the handlers whistle to "hup" or sit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sue is a good short name

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Lunker
Lunker
She looks like a "Lucy" to me.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I always heard that you want the name to be 2 syllables and the commands to be just 1. She looks like a Miss Kitty to me or maybe Cisco. Good looking pooch at any rate.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I recently got my wife's elderly aunt a rescue dog (against a lot of family advice). He was severely abused, having no fur or skin on his back when rescued from four years of being chained outside. Over about two months, the rescuers did an incredible job with this little guy. He is half-pug and half-Pekingese. They convinced him to think of himself as seriously regal -- he prances rather than running. He has made it know to all that he is very self-important. When he greets a visitor, he puffs out his chest, waiting for recognition. He looks kind of like Yoda. The silly little dog is all black, with some gray on his chin. My wife decided he looks like a piece of recently lit charcoal.

We decided to evaluate names from friends and relatives over seven days before giving him a new name.

My wife's suggestion was adopted. He now has the regal name of "Kingsford." Most of our pets have had some very unusual names. As far back as I can remember, all have had a one or two syllable names that stuck.

Anyway, if your little friend was at our house, we'd probably wait until at least next Friday or Saturday to decide on a final name for that wonderful little critter. She really won the affection of everyone at our house, maybe even our cat. She is far too precious to have an ordinary name.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks guys. I'm not rushing into things by any means! She can have a very unordinary long registered name, but she needs a good "call" name. "Cal" was California Dreamin'.

Cisco, most of the commands will be made with a Spaniel whistle

The only voice commands in the field would be the dog's name to tell it to retrieve the bird, hup, here, over, and back. The last 3 are also used in conjunction with hand signals.

If the dog is trained well, you will only hear an occasional beep on the whistle (if at all) and the dog's name called for the retrieve. Not having to give any commands usually means that the dog is really, really trained, or the trainer doesn't have a clue as to what's going on and is hoping that the dog will carry the day. grin

Out of the field, the sky is the limit. A short list of the words that my dogs knew is: inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs, bone, ball, toy, kennel, hurry up (potty on command), O.K., leave it, no bird, give, here, hup, heel, lay down, put your head down, and of course NO. Cal would only retrieve if his name was called. He wouldn't go if someone (even me) yelled "Carl", "Cat", or any other name except his. "Carlos" would cause him to take a step or 2 but he'd stop as soon as he heard the 2nd syllable. (Then he'd look at me as if to say "Why the .ell did you do that?") grin

One beep on the whistle was hup, two beeps means turn the other way, 3 beeps means "here", 5 beeps means "quit what you're doing right now and get your .ss over here RIGHT NOW!"

She's already starting to learn that the hand with the palm facing her and down at my right side means "here".

It'd be a whole lot easier with a trained dog listening to the commands so she'd see what that "noise" meant. I've been told "your dogs mind you better than my kids mind me." wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Looks like an "Oreo with milk" to me. Call her treat whistle

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's thinking out of the box! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Scott,

I miss her already! Bring her back cry

Mikey

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
That is a darn cute pup Scott.

You got the right Omaha. Wow she's a darling!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Scott, sorry I wasn't around when you came through to pick her up. She looks like a little cutie pie! I hope she turns out to be a great hunter for you. How about the Name Dolly? If you wanna stick with a one syllable name, go with Doll?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: the stick
She looks like a "Lucy" to me.

Exactly what my 8 year old daughter said as she was being crawled all over by this adorable little pup last Saturday!

That's 2 for Lucy!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
T
T
Beautiful Dog!!!! Is that a Brittany?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How about Missy? Yeah I know it's not one syllable but hey... grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: tyler0421
Beautiful Dog!!!! Is that a Brittany?

English Springer Spaniel - from the field side of the family tree. There's a lot of FC/AFC/NFC/MH in the pedigree. She's related to Reba going back a few generations. In the pedigree there is Sunrise Zoomer, Badgercourt Druid, Sunrise Zinger, Pondviews Windy Acres Yankee.

Mikey, wait 'till I bring her over when Sid and Mom is there - then tell them there are still 2 not spoken for..... grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
T
Still two left? You have any contact information? I am looking into getting another bird dog. I had a brittany for a while. Unfortunatly he was taken from us when he got out and ran across a busy intersection. He was a very good bird dog and quick learner!

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Julie Hogan is the breeder.

Tell her how you found out about her. My name is Scott, and they named the pup Cherry.

[url=http://www.waggintailsjunction.com/][/url]

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
She's related to Reba going back a few generations.

I dont' believe you. She doesn't look anything like Reba MacEntire. Much cuter. grin

Fingerling
Fingerling
Great looking pup.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Hey this is Friz's daughter here!
So esshup and the un-named puppy came over yesterday. She's "cute as a button," as dad said. I think she's absolutly adorable, and suggested the name Carnival or Carnival Spirit, with the nickname Car. She's also very lively, but not misbehaved. She comes when you whistle, and stayed near us while we were touring our ponds. She's also curious, and likes to stick her nose into everything (including our pond) and chased, attacked, and sucessfully destroying/razed/shredded/annihlated a little tree brunch. As we were walking by the pond, we suddenly heard high-pitched yipping, like a child crying, and turned to find the poor puppy at the bottom of a hole. It wasn't deep to us, but it was over her head. We rescude her and found that while she was favoring one leg, she didn't seem to have broken anything. She was carried the rest of the way, but before she left we tested her out again and she was walking fine, though she still ran with a slight limp. We were happy to learn today that the vet said she was fine.
We inspected the progress of our new pond, and it's coming along nicely. We also visited the fish in our other pond and saw many small fish that appear to be baby minnows and/or misquito fish. We did not see any redears or golden shiners. Dad's very worried about them. I told him they're just at the bottom and center of the pond were we can't see them, like they're supposed to be.
Good Night!
-Friz's daughter

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tell dad not to worry. The larger fish are probably in deeper water due to the heat just as you suspect. Redears are bottom oriented anyway.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Hi Cecil
Thank you for the YP info, it's already on it's way back to you.
Regards,
Friz

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, the mosquito fish are better at breeding than rabbits when there are no predators in the pond!

No worse for the wear for sure. She followed me around my pond today, and even into the water when I waded out. She swam for about 5' in distance. She likes AquaMax fish food too.....

Last edited by esshup; 08/11/10 10:19 PM. Reason: added pup info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 12:25 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length