Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,005
Posts558,414
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lina, Boondoggle, RobS, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,078 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#224913 07/05/10 09:45 PM
J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Hello all.

I have been posting, already, for a short while, but never really introduced myself properly.

I'm Jeff from Duluth Mn. I'm a city bus driver by day, and spend alot of my free time enjoying many hobbies. One of those hobbies is my small (approx 1/4 acre) pond.

My goal for the pond is simply for my enjoyment. I want it to have fish, which I have added. I have a pair of Ducks, which come back every year. This year they have 6 ducklings. I have many turtles, and a muskrat that shows himself occasionally. I've many birds that nest in the cattails. Lots of leeches, frogs, snails, and insects are present, too.

This variety is what I like. I know some of the wildlife present would be counterproductive for a dedicated fish pond, but fish are only a slice of the pie, for me, albeit a big slice. wink

The pond is not, nor will be, a swimming hole.

I do want to use the fish for personal consumption, and plan on many bluegill dinners when they are a harvestable size.

So, anyways, glad to be here. Have learned alot already. I'm not a big # poster, by any means, but will chime in when I can.

Take care.

Jeff

Lunker
Lunker
Glad to get all that info on you. As a fellow MN, I a glad to say that I am a Vikings fan. Although I watch the Twins, the Braves are my favorite baseball team. It sounds like you have a good pond going.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: the stick
Glad to get all that info on you. As a fellow MN, I a glad to say that I am a Vikings fan. Although I watch the Twins, the Braves are my favorite baseball team. It sounds like you have a good pond going.

You're forgiven. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Here is another "proper" welcome. The beauty of a personal pond is you get to make it what you want and it sounds like you have. Any pictures you can share with us?

J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Here's a couple of pics I had from before, although they don't give a real good view. Most of my pics are too large for the forum. I've since turned down my camera's settting so it'll take pics that will fit. May take some more, soon.

Jeff

Attached Images
pond and tree pics 002.JPG pond and tree pics 004.JPG
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Welcome fellow Minnesohtan! Despite what many of the uninformed will say you can grow nice fish in small ponds in MN.

Gotta get back to fishin!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome, Jeff. Aerator in your pond, eh (saw the upwelling in your pictures)??

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff - Welcome to Pond Boss from someone who grew up in and around the Twin Ports. I've been gone a long time, but still consider it home. For anyone who has never been there, it is incredibly beautiful, the people are wonderful, and the fish and fishing are fantastic. And what could more beautiful than a thunderstorm over the downtown harbor? (I borrowed this link from Jeff Krueger's page in today's Tribune.)

If you use Google's Picasa to post your forum photos, it has a very easy to use feature that converts your uploads to whatever size you would like them. It will also let you upload very large photos, but link to smaller sizes. Here is a link to using Picasa: Posting Using Picasa

Keep posting photos.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. The other thing about photos -- TJ who has been volunteering to upgrade the website has put in a feature that also automatically resizes large photos so they don't eat up lots of space.

Last edited by catmandoo; 07/11/10 07:48 PM. Reason: TJ and Photo Size

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Thanks again guys, and I definately do like living in Minnesota. Feel much like you do, Catmandoo, about it. Thanks for the heads up on that Picasa. I'll check it out.

Dave, I've two diaphram pumps that pump into 3 diffusers. Total is just over 5CFM.

The reason I have two is: The first(bigger) pump I put in my pole barn and ran air line to the pond. I tried to run it last winter but had troubles with the airline freezing up.

Rather than mess with changing it, and since I wanted one of the diffusers in a shallower area, I bought a smaller 1.8cfm pump and put it at the base of the dock, with the diffuser just off the tip of the dock.

My thinking is, once the other one starts freezing again up I'll shut it off for the winter. The pump at the dock, with a short airline(and diffuser in 4.5ft water) I'll run all winter.

I also like the idea of having a backup incase either of the pumps crap the bed.

J
J
Hey Jeffrey,

I'm Jimmy and I grew up in Minnesota. I grew up in Ogilvie, near Mora (about 1 1/2 hours north of the Twin Cities). I now live in Texas. I own 4 acres of land and I'm thinking about installing a pond. Anyways, I'm glad I discovered this forum. It's full of great information.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jimmy4Prez
Hey Jeffrey,

I'm Jimmy and I grew up in Minnesota. I grew up in Ogilvie, near Mora (about 1 1/2 hours north of the Twin Cities). I now live in Texas. I own 4 acres of land and I'm thinking about installing a pond. Anyways, I'm glad I discovered this forum. It's full of great information.

Welcome to Pond Boss, Jimmy4Prez! Why don't you start a new post and tell us about yourself and your ponds/dreams of ponds? Great to have you here!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by Boondoggle - 05/11/24 06:36 PM
Very sandy soil
by Boondoggle - 05/11/24 06:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/11/24 05:37 PM
How much feed?
by tim k - 05/11/24 04:55 PM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/11/24 01:49 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/11/24 11:19 AM
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 10:15 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Pat Williamson - 05/11/24 08:01 AM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food