Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217187 05/15/10 10:49 AM
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
New 1/3 acre pond construction couple months ago. Has a big old tree in the bottom and I added two pvc trees as well as some stacked pallets in about 3 feet of water. Added a 2.5 pounds of fatheads 2 weeks ago. Already see frogs and turtles calling the new place home. I want a BG/LMB pond with the emphasis on BG for the kids to catch.

I've read many posts on BG and understand I want it bass heavy to have nice BG. The place I got my minnows have CNBG and assume this is the way to go.

Do I get my BG in now (RC who posts here said that they have only 2.5 inch CNBG now) and bass next Spring? If not, what's the correct time frame?

How many of each?

I don't live at the place yet, will build next year on the property, so I can't feed consistently. Not looking for trophies of anything just want a healthy pond that the kids can fish.

FWIW the pond is muddy. I assume its going to be this way until we get some ground cover planted around the pond. Its a muddy mess when it rains. The planting will have to wait a little while, still have to have the bulldozers out one more time for a drainage issue.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
First, TigerFan, congrats on the pond's completion. Can't wait for mine to be done.

You say you want emphasis on the BG for the kids to catch. From that understanding, wouldn't you want your pond to be BG heavy, not LMB heavy? You want quantity of BG for the kids to catch? If that's what you want, you want to aim towards a trophy LMB pond. Tons of BG, fewer, but bigger, LMB. However, you could go LMB heavy and it would still be a wonderful kids' pond. I'm considering doing this as well, a LMB heavy pond for the kids to catch them over and over again, with the occasional large BG thrown in.

It is generally suggested to wait 6 months to a year after forage (FHM & BG) to stock your predator(s) (LMB). Typical stocking quantities are 500 BG and 100 LMB per acre, but if you're going heavy on one and light on another, wait for an expert to give you more accurate numbers.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If your goal is to have a quality BG pond for fishing I'd stock the FHM now and personally wait til you get some cover around your pond before adding the BG and LMB. I'd then stock 150 BG and 40 LMB when the water finally clears up some and doesn't turn into a muddy mess after every rain. I'd also stock 50 RES as well. If you feed your fish you can expect to grow some very nice sized BG who will eagerly take your kids bait and have some feisty but hungry and easily caught bass to also entertain your kids.

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Appreciate the replys. Yea, I think I got my thinking off (which isn't hard) by reading the articles on getting big bluegill and then having a place for the kids to catch bluegill (more easily than not).

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If your goal is to have a quality BG pond for fishing I'd stock the FHM now and personally wait til you get some cover around your pond before adding the BG and LMB. I'd then stock 150 BG and 40 LMB when the water finally clears up some and doesn't turn into a muddy mess after every rain. I'd also stock 50 RES as well. If you feed your fish you can expect to grow some very nice sized BG who will eagerly take your kids bait and have some feisty but hungry and easily caught bass to also entertain your kids.

I know it's been over a year but finally have an order very similar to the above. However, while mowing around the pond last week I saw a snake that had caught a catfish about the length of your hand/wrist. Have no idea how these catfish made it in. Now see small swarms of the babies. Took a pole out there two days ago and caught 5 within 10 minutes, so I have more than just a few catfish.

My question is does this change what I should be putting in regarding the bass and bluegill?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My bet is, they are bullhead catfish. If you have a stream, even one that only runs during heavy rains that feeds your pond, the bullheads most likely either washed down stream from another pond, or they swam up stream from a pond or river.

Things really are not changed much... If they are in fact bullhead catfish, which if you take a photo of one we can confirm this and which species they are, it isn't the end of the world for your goals. Bullheads can be controlled by LMB predation, particularly if you keep aquatic vegetation to a minimum, much like you should do to keep the BG from stunting and reaching limited sizes.

If bullheads made there way into your pond, it is likely other species have as well. GSF are another species which seems to find it's way into ponds rather easily. I would recommend you purchase or construct a minnow trap and place it in your pond with bait(beef liver, dog food, fish pellets, etc). See what you catch... Set it about an hour before sunset and then pull the trap right about sunset. No need to set it more than an hour for what you are trying to do... If you do in fact catch bullheads, remove any and all you catch. Any other species caught, photograph and post on here so we can ID them for you.

Stocking fish in the heat of summer usually isn't the best idea... Particularly adult or subadult fish which is what I would recommend you stock. The above numbers I gave you still hold true. I would stock 5"+ BG and RES and the largest LMB you can source, at least 6" and up to 12" if you can find them... Do not remove any LMB until you see large numbers of skinny 6"-12" bass, then you can remove any that go over 14" making room for more smaller bass to take their place.

Continue to trap and fish for bullheads, removing all that are caught. Your kids will enjoy catching bullheads just as much as sunfish. Under bass predation along with the assistance of angling and trapping, 10"-14" bullheads is a reasonable expectation. They make entertaining angling for children as well as good eating IMO. I actually find bullheads better eating than CC.

Feeding your fish a quality pelleted feed will also increase growth rates for both your sunfish and bullheads. I would recommend it for what you are trying to accomplish. The addition of a handful, say 10-15 HSB can be added every year or every other year to add to the excitement for your children's angling if you decide to later on...

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Google image agrees on the bullhead catfish. As per the fish farm the order won't be filled until early fall. I need to check on size of LMB. Bad move if they are small? Will the catfish feast on the bass and BG if too small?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, the bullheads may eat your stocker fish. I am also still concerned that more than just bullheads found your pond as a new home... So to play it safe and to get a jump start on controlling the bullheads, stock advanced sized bass.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You can easily eliminate that ball of bullheads with a shotgun. Of course, they keep on coming.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/28/11 03:48 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!