Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#216984 05/14/10 08:47 AM
B
BonZoso Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to pond ownership and was just informed that I have about 2X the number of LMB in my pond. I'm going to start removing about 50 of them ( they hit a barbless fly like no getout) and store them until I can find a home for them. I'm thinking about a swimming pool with an aerator. Can anyone advise me with particulars (size of pool, pump and feeding) and how long I can keep this up. I hate the thought of just killing them. They are about 5-6" (stocked last spring at 2". Thanks for any help.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Depending on how many you put in, for how long, and the size of the pool you could run into ammonia toxicity problems even if you are aerating.

Is the pool close enough to the pond where you can run in pond water and overflow it back to the pond?

I'm sure you know chlorine is a big no no. Highly lethal to fish.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: BonZoso
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to pond ownership and was just informed that I have about 2X the number of LMB in my pond. I'm going to start removing about 50 of them ( they hit a barbless fly like no getout) and store them until I can find a home for them. I'm thinking about a swimming pool with an aerator. Can anyone advise me with particulars (size of pool, pump and feeding) and how long I can keep this up. I hate the thought of just killing them. They are about 5-6" (stocked last spring at 2". Thanks for any help.

HI BonZoso,

A swimming pool would not be my first choice.

I understand you do not want them to go to waste. Maybe you could sell them to someone close by, or even give them to someone.

Other than that, you are the proud parent of 50 LMB without a home.

If you are thinking of keeping these and raising them outside of the pond, I can help, but you need to do all the work.

I have two questions to start with:

1) Do you have a garage, pole barn, etc..., that can maintain, at the lowest winter temperature of no more than two weeks at 62F? It is OK if the temp spikes up, but 62F is critical.

2) What are the possible water sources?. Any water source you have, you basically have to degas it anyway, but it helps to know what is in it, so you know what to do.

What do you think you want to do?.

J

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OOOOh an RAS! shocked grin

Hey JKB I'm thinking of overwintering some feed trained smallies in my RAS next winter. What do you think?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
OOOOh an RAS! shocked grin

Hey JKB I'm thinking of overwintering some feed trained smallies in my RAS next winter. What do you think?

You already know how well your BG's are growing, they are going to be some stout, they are already are stout, what am I thinking!

Set up a second system. I saw two tanks on satellite that were sunk into your pond. (yeah I know where you live) If you have the room, toss some smallies in.

As I have said this before. If you do this correctly, you will never, ever, ever, regret the outcome!

But it takes a bit of work! Is that correct Cecil!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
From a conservative view, it would be cheaper to fish them out and release them into a local lake or pond than to go to the effort to save them for someone you have not even met or found yet.

I subscribe!
B
BonZoso Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
I'm just hoping to keep them until I can find someone to take them. Hopefully before next winter. Even though they are LMB it is illegal in PA to stock without a permit in any public waters.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Sell them back to the guy you bought them from smile

I subscribe!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: BonZoso
I'm just hoping to keep them until I can find someone to take them. Hopefully before next winter. Even though they are LMB it is illegal in PA to stock without a permit in any public waters.

Michigan has a public stocking program, which requires a permit, but they are free. And from what I have heard, not a real headache.

At least check into it further if you haven't already. It would be cool to think you caught one of your own fish in your favorite public lake.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
shocked grin

Set up a second system. I saw two tanks on satellite that were sunk into your pond. (yeah I know where you live)

shocked shocked shocked

I am seriously considering putting feed trained smallies in a tank this fall and then planting them into the pond when they get about 10 inches the following spring.

My problem is where to put the tank. I don't have a separate building. And now that winter's over I'm feeling the humidity produced by the tank in the basement. I may have to crank up a dehumidifier.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/15/10 10:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

If you crank up a dehumidifier, you could run a hose from the catch container right back into the RAS.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

If you crank up a dehumidifier, you could run a hose from the catch container right back into the RAS.

Hmmm... And yet another Rube Goldberg gadget!

Thanks Scot. Didn't think of that.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Esshup,

That is really not such a good idea.

Sorry Esshup!

(I know you were only joking)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We're jumping to too many conclusions. What size pond do you have; how many bluegill and how many lmb did you stock, and when? Give us specifics on when each species was stocked. I'm sure by the end of the warm period, they should be eating sized. Start feeding them with a high(42%) or more protein feed. Fish them out late fall and early spring before any spawn. One dollar, or so, per pound of fish flesh is a pretty good deal.
Or, as someone suggested; if truly overstocked at the recommendation of a merchant; then hold them accountable.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, I was serious. It's distilled water, it's O.K. to put back in there, isn't it?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
OK. I just read the 2nd yr. pond thread. They definitely overstocked you with lmb, but, the bluegill should spawn heavily all this year. The 6 inch bass are probably not going to spawn.
All your fish will go on the feed. I would grow them out some, then remove to the platter.
I dont think you would accomplish anything by removing them from a good habitat to which they are accustomed, to a pool. You may as well catch them and toss them over your shoulder.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB, I was serious. It's distilled water, it's O.K. to put back in there, isn't it?

That's what I was thinking too Scot. I guess we'll have to wait for JKB to come back.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

That's what I was thinking too Scot. I guess we'll have to wait for JKB to come back.

While technically it is distilled water, it is not purified to any degree that it would be safe. One should never drink it or give it to any pet or animal. The water itself could contain numerous types of bacteria, fungi, microbes and other nasty things. Think of the reservoir as a collection spot and breeding ground for all these yucky things. Plus the materials used in manufacture are not to NSF standards, so you really don't know what is in the condensate. I would not risk it.

I actually drank a glass of some RAS water once. I was playing around with some different micron rated filters to try some water polishing. I collected some water as it came out of the biofilter and ran it through a 25 micron and 5 micron filter, hey, it was like tap water.

Of course, I did not pee in the tank either laugh

Last edited by JKB; 05/16/10 03:56 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I see where you are coming from now. Good thinking.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

Of course, I did not pee in the tank either laugh

Why in the world would you think of such a thing? shocked

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM