Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (bmo, homewardbound, Bigtrh24, 4CornersPuddle, catscratch, Boondoggle, John Fitzgerald, Ibanez540r, FishinRod, Sunil, Angler8689, J. R.), 1,173 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213858 04/22/10 11:58 AM
O
OldBob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
This is my first post to the forum. I live in Virginia and we have a pond that is about 2 acres in size. This pond is shared by 4 other property owners (the first problem). The pond is only about 11 years old and was put in by the developer. As near as I can determine it was for fire fighting water supply which never seemed to materialize since the local fire stations say they have no interest in ever using it. The problem is the overflow pipe has been rusting out for about 2 years and the water level has dropped about 10-12 inches because of it. This past winter we had a huge storm that flooded the area and the debris that piled up on the trash rack along with the water pressure collapsed the riser so the water level is now down about 3 feet below normal. We are very interested in replacing the old drain system with the siphon system which I have read about on this forum. I have received the catalog from the Pond Dam Piping company that sells the material for the system. My question is; How can the old system be sealed so it will not leak and who does that type of work? Also how expensive is that process? Here is some more data concerning our pond; The current drain consists of 60 inch diameter corrugated galvanized culvert. The barrel is approx. 45 feet long. The watershed is approx. 100-150 acres consisting of woods, pasture, roads and roof tops. In addition to the drain problem the pond has filled in from dirt from all the run off. One end near the stream used to be 4 feet deep and is now about 1 foot. I personally think a front end loader would be a good way to dig it out after it has been drained.

I would appreciate any advice and counsel you can provide.

OldBob (and I am not kidding) smile

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Hi Bob - Welcome to the Pond Boss forum! I'm confident one the the forum experts will address these issues for you very soon. Just wanted to welcome you aboard, and we're looking forward to learning more about your pond and your management goals.

Hang tight, help is on the way.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but since it sounds like your planning to drain it: Could you just install the siphon, use it to lower the pond, remove 10' or so of the damaged overflow pipe and repack the trench with clay and also remove the silting while it's drained and equipment (I'm thinking track hoe) is on site?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I'm new at this too and just posted a similar situation. My pipe too is rusted and the water level is going down. I was told by the head of the "Safe Dams Dept." in Georgia that the old pipe underneath my dam needs to be filled with concrete after I install the siphon drain.
Now I just need info on how to make that permanent siphon drain.
It would take a lot of concrete to fill the pipe you have though.

O
OldBob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
Several days ago there was a discussion on another thread about this subject and a poster named Greg Grimes mentioned filling in the old system by a process called "high pressure grouting". He said it had to be done correctly to prevent leaks. I am looking for more details about how this process is done. If Greg is around maybe he can help give us the details and how to find a company that does it correctly. I have thought about filling in with concrete but at this point do not know if that is the proper/best way to do it. All responses are greatly appreciated.

OldBob

O
OldBob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
I have thought about your suggestion and I belive that may work. Especially if you repack the dam with a mixture of clay and bentonite

O
OldBob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
I have thought about your suggestion and I belive that may work. Especially if you repack the dam with a mixture of clay and bentonite. I believe the rest of the barrel on the down stream side would have to be filled in with clay also. Our plan would be to clean out the pond while it is drained. What ever we use to do that will depend on how soft the bottom is so we won't get the equipment mired down.
Oldbob

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use