Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,202
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
1 members (blueyss), 598 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jd2518 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
1st off i would like to thank all of you who share your knowledge/info/experiences (especially pictures) for all to see...there is much to be learned on this site (more than i can take in)...now down to business...i know most of my questions/concerns have been answered here before, but i thought it would be easier for me to keep up with any info given directly to me if i had 'my own' thread (hope that doesnt offend anyone) I just finished clearing my 5acres and plan on starting the pond process in sept/oct timeframe...it will be dug using the tractor/land level-dirt bucket method due the fact that i'm keeping the dirt to build my house/shop pad and this method offers the best compaction rate for the pads...plans are to have a 2-4 foot 'levee' around 3/4 of the pond (possibly the whole thing depending on how much of a slope i can get on the front of it)...it will be 100% well/rain filled and maintained (no watershed from ditch/creek/etc.) i plan on having an overflow pipe "tee'd" with another line with a valve so that i can manually drain if i have the need to do so (lots of rain forecasted or repairs, etc.) 8-10ft. deep with possibly 2-3 holes to be dug deeper (12-15ft.) with an excavator (1 hole will be @ the end of the '2 story' pier/dock to avoid injury from jumping from top deck...the other holes would be for 'structure' for the fish) I plan on having a 50' wide 'beach' area that will extend 30ish ft. out which will be buoyed off and no fishing allowed in that area...i plan on hauling in sand and pea gravel for the 'beach' area....i already have a huge tree trunk and large branches throw in for structure and am working on gathering more material after seeing some ideas that have worked for others here on PB......................

Last edited by jd2518; 04/18/10 12:47 PM.
J
jd2518 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
(hybrids optional on all below)(all suggestions appreciated)
large mouth bass
coppernose blues
blues
redear sunfish
channel or blue cat (i've heard that catfish in a pond have a tendency to keep the water muddy, is this an issue anyone has had?)
and of course FHM...I would rather have more of a 'catch decent fish most of the time and a trophy every now and then' pond as opposed to a 'lots of big fish out there but very seldom catch anything pond', if that makes any sense i'll also probably be throwing in some crawfish in there sometime unless someone here can coax me off of the idea...anyone have any problems using creosole soaked posts as 'pilings' for a pier? i plan on using some due to being able to get my hands on some around the house for little cost (i've never heard of anyone having problems)....more questions to come as they pop in my head

edit: any suggestions of what NOT TO DO..i've ready plenty of things TO DO, but was looking to avoid any hidden mistakes or unwanted consequences

Last edited by jd2518; 04/16/10 06:04 AM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum jd...

How large will the pond be?

J
jd2518 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

How large will the pond be?

Thanx for the welcome CJ...the pond will be 1 acre give or take 1/4 acre (it's in the subject line for anyone who may have missed it)....on the front 'beach' side i want to gently slope it down to about 5 foot depth (about 30-40 foot out from the 'bank' and 50 foot wide) and around the rest of it i hope to slope out to about 3 foot depth (5-8 foot out from the bank), sudden drop to about 5-8 foot depth(varying throughout the pond) and will add in a few 10-15 foot trenches or holes and use the dirt from the trenches to build a 'sunken island' or 2...i also have 4 or 5 standing trees (i think they're gum trees) that i will leave on an 'island' but i am trying to build the pond where the water level will be a few inches above the base of these trees (doesnt matter to me if they die)....for the berm around the beach i'm between using cinder blocks sunk in a few inches and coverd up with clay or some old pine trees (no branches, just stripped trunks) that have been down for years (trying to minimize spending, but i dont want to ruin the pond by being 'cheap').....also, since my 1st post, i read something about creosole being a carcinogen and being a NO-NO for my pond, so i'm exploring other options for the deck/pier......more to come

Last edited by jd2518; 04/17/10 09:03 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to PB. Let's do this in parts. What would you like to address first. There are beach threads here and pier/deck info and tons on fish - always based on your goals. Also lots on construction methods , structure and management.

Here are some beach links for starters.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=185747&fpart=1

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...true#Post127457

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...=true#Post41593

J
jd2518 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
thanx ewest...the threads with pics really help me visualize what's in my head as they are pretty much on point for the beach i was planning...please keep the info comin' on other aspects....i plan on digging the pond in october and then filling next spring, so i'll have the winter to place cover/spawning grounds and prepare the beach/dock area

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by FishinRod - 05/03/24 11:45 PM
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/03/24 07:53 PM