Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,362 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I have a new 2 acre pond that was completed right before winter. It is in central Michigan. The snow has melted and the pond is about 75% full. The water is a beautiful clear blue green color that you can see pretty deep. Sand has been placed around the edges of the entire pond and below that is nice clay. Except for the areas that I want to stay all sand for a beach I plan on putting some rye grass seed - but right now there are zero weeds or cover around the pond, no plants and no structure in the pond. In the summer the pond will be expanded and about another acre of pond will be added. Sand is being taken off the property and a second pond will be dug and then tied in. I do not want two ponds just one very big one. Here are some questions. In the expanded pond area I will add structure for fish and the current pond area has none. Will fish live even though there are no plants currently on the edges of the pond? Will fish live with no structure? Will fish reproduce with no structure? I do have a nice area for the bluegill to spawn. The fish I want to put in for now are bluegill and minnows and maybe some catfish. Then later add the bass after the bluegill are established. When the two ponds are tied in a island will be left in the middle. Of course the first pond's water level will go way down when this happens. Is this going to be too much of a shock for the fish? Should I wait until the expansion is done before adding fish? I am pretty certain that the water level in the new larger pond will be deep enough before it freezes for the fish to make it through the winter. Just do not want to wait another year to get the fish going. Pics of the pond are on some of my other posts. Any other recommendations?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll see if I can help.

Originally Posted By: PatrickMell
I have a new 2 acre pond that was completed right before winter. It is in central Michigan. The snow has melted and the pond is about 75% full. The water is a beautiful clear blue green color that you can see pretty deep. Sand has been placed around the edges of the entire pond and below that is nice clay. Except for the areas that I want to stay all sand for a beach I plan on putting some rye grass seed - but right now there are zero weeds or cover around the pond, no plants and no structure in the pond. In the summer the pond will be expanded and about another acre of pond will be added. Sand is being taken off the property and a second pond will be dug and then tied in. I do not want two ponds just one very big one. Here are some questions. In the expanded pond area I will add structure for fish and the current pond area has none. Will fish live even though there are no plants currently on the edges of the pond? Yes, the fish will do just fine, with the exception of fish that need cover to lay their eggs on, or spawn in, such as YP and GHS, they will have a hard time reproducing, GHS more so than YP. Will fish live with no structure? Will fish reproduce with no structure? Yes and yes. I do have a nice area for the bluegill to spawn. The fish I want to put in for now are bluegill and minnows and maybe some catfish. Then later add the bass after the bluegill are established. When the two ponds are tied in a island will be left in the middle. Of course the first pond's water level will go way down when this happens. Is this going to be too much of a shock for the fish? I don't think so, I did the exact same thing when I renovated my pond. Is the pond a groundwater pond, or does it rely on runoff to fill it? Should I wait until the expansion is done before adding fish? I think you can add the fish when you want, although I might be tempted to wait on stocking the cats so the forage base is built up. I am pretty certain that the water level in the new larger pond will be deep enough before it freezes for the fish to make it through the winter. Just do not want to wait another year to get the fish going. Pics of the pond are on some of my other posts. Any other recommendations? The minnows that you are stocking won't be able to spawn unless you put the appropriate cover in the pond. GSH use grassy areas to spawn, FHM use the underside of objects in shallow water to spawn. If you stock 2"-3" BG this year, it probably won't be until next year until they are big enough and the water temp is right for them to pull off a successful spawn. LMB prefer food that's 1/4 to 1/3 their body size, so keep that in mind when it's time to stock the LMB in regards to the other fish in the pond. What are the goals for your pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
esshup hit that right.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For FHM spawning and some fish structure / habitat you can use waste pieces of concrete, clay tile or building block /bricks. Any flat surfaces under water work well for FHM spawning. Consider Imlay Fish Farm Imlay MI for your fish. Cool water fish such as yellow perch and smallmouth bass and maybe a few walleye will also do well in your pond as an alternative to bluegill-LMB. MI tends to have a little cooler weather than more southern US and the typical warm water fishery. LMB and SMB usually are not successful where they both spawn well when they are together. It is best to choose one or the other.

Unless your pond is truly unique expect to see some type rooted vegetation on the bottom soon, even if it is Chara (not a true rooted plant). Chara beds are very common in new ponds, even in MI. Soft waters of MI get a similar looking plant called Nitella. One or two of the common "pondweeds" (Potamogeton) are another large group of submerged weeds that will soon arrive in your new pond. Waterfowl ofter deliver the seeds in their manure.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/23/10 09:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One thing about SMB/LMB in a pond. If you think even for a second that you'd want SMB, go with them first. You can always change it to a LMB pond without going thru a lot of work, but that's not the case if you start with LMB and want SMB in the future.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
The goal of the pond is to have a recreational area for the kids to swim, boat and fish. Like to have fish that we could catch and eat on weekends that we go to the pond. Bass to catch for fun. I really like perch to eat. On another part of this forum I asked similar questions and a guy recommended that I take a large number of hay bales (smaller square ones) and spread them around and in the pond. Also take some full or half hay bales and toss them in the middle. This he said would provide a place for minnows to hide and spawn and for food to grow on and speed up the process. Good idea? With regard to the cats what exactly is the "forage base"? If things were done right how many years would it take to get some good size fish?

Bill I thought I read that it is not good to put walleye in a pond if you want to have big bass? Is this true? For eating - walleye is my favorite but there is nothing like the fun of catching a bass. Was just going to go with large mouth bass.

This property that my pond is on is right across from a 7000 acre lake that we have our cottage on. My friends fish it all day and catch lots of fish. I can catch 30 bluegill in an hour of my dock. Is it OK if I throw those bluegill (mostly small ones)and some of the medium and large fish that we catch in the pond? I have read that some people say do not do it because of disease. Will this throw the bond off balance?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: PatrickMell
The goal of the pond is to have a recreational area for the kids to swim, boat and fish. Like to have fish that we could catch and eat on weekends that we go to the pond. Bass to catch for fun. I really like perch to eat. On another part of this forum I asked similar questions and a guy recommended that I take a large number of hay bales (smaller square ones) and spread them around and in the pond. Also take some full or half hay bales and toss them in the middle. This he said would provide a place for minnows to hide and spawn and for food to grow on and speed up the process. Good idea? With regard to the cats what exactly is the "forage base"? If things were done right how many years would it take to get some good size fish? I haven't used hay bales, so I can't give any suggestions there. The best "forage base" for cats is an automated pellet feeder. What's your defination of "good sized fish"? I've stocked 6"-9" CC in the Spring and have caught them at 14"-16" in the early Fall. I've seen crayfish, and small minnows in their stomachs.

Bill I thought I read that it is not good to put walleye in a pond if you want to have big bass? Is this true? For eating - walleye is my favorite but there is nothing like the fun of catching a bass. Was just going to go with large mouth bass.

This property that my pond is on is right across from a 7000 acre lake that we have our cottage on. My friends fish it all day and catch lots of fish. I can catch 30 bluegill in an hour of my dock. Is it OK if I throw those bluegill (mostly small ones)and some of the medium and large fish that we catch in the pond? I have read that some people say do not do it because of disease. Will this throw the bond off balance? My biggest concern about transferring fish (been there, done that and paid the price of admission) isn't disease, it's invasive plants. Even with putting the fish in a large cooler with well water, I still brought Eurasian Water Milfoil to the pond. You have to be 100% sure of your fish identification skills to do it. I will be transferring fish again this year, but I will be using a 3 container dip system, with salted water to minimize any nasties going into the pond. When fishing BG on the beds, it's easy to catch Males, but not so easy to catch females. Depending on your goals, that's either good or bad. Transferring fish is the cheapest way to get larger specimens, but like jignpig has mentioned, they might not be the fastest growing ones.

Once you start stocking your pond, I strongly suggest keeping a journal, expecially a stocking journal. That way it'll be easier to keep track of just how many of what fish are going into the pond. Set stocking goals at the start, review them at least yearly, and monitor the fish in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
There is milfoil in the lake and they spray the lake a few times a year for weeds and it is pretty much under control. Where I fish there are pretty much no weeds if that matters. I do not want that in the pond. Its so easy to catch the fish that I would hate to pay for them. I am a rookie and will need to do more research and figure out how to idetify fish. I have no idea how to tell if the fish is a male or female. Catch lots of small perch and BG off the dock. I think if I put the fish in a 5 gal bucket with well water in it that should keep the weeds out. I think if I am careful I will be fine. So far I have built a 2 acre - soon to be 3 acre- beautiful pond for zero cost (in trade for sand and trees). I will buy some fish but for now would rather not until the addition to the pond is complete.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I thought that too about the well water, transferring the fish, netting them out and placing them in the pond. I made sure that the well water that the fish were transported in didn't get dumped into the pond. I ended up buying Diquat from Greg Grimes to kill 2 stands of Milfoil in the pond. The lake that I transferred fish from has Milfoil, and it is sprayed like your lake as well.

I'm planning on transferring the fish from the lake to the pond site in well water, then to a holding tank. Let them swim around for a while, net out and place in another holding tank. Repeat that procedure again before they finally go into the pond. The holding tanks will have a mild salt solution in them. IIRC a 2% solution. But, the salt solution won't kill the plants.

I was even careful not to put the well water into the pond when I transferred the fish and somehow the Milfoil still showed up. My pond isn't connected to any other BOW, and nothing was brought to the pond other than the fish that I transferred.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM