Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,762
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
7 members (Steve Clubb, Fishingadventure, simon, Boondoggle, esshup, Snipe, Bigtrh24), 782 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
I have a bass pond that I'm in the process of fixing the bass overcrowding problem in. I also have another pond that has lots of small bluegill. I'm planning to get some of the bluegill out with a bait casting net and traps and feed them to the bass. I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a way to train bass to eat bluegill like this on command. Like is there some way to injure a bluegill to make it thrash/twitch/swim around on the surface until a bass comes and makes of meal of it (hopefully with a big splash).

1 3/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and 1/10 acre ponds in NE Smith County, East Texas.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I noticed some LMB cruising near shore when the feeder went off, and chasing some small BG. I took a small BG, hooked it near the tail with the small hook that I was catching them on, and dangled it at the waters surface. The LMB came and grabbed it, and I pulled the hook out of the BG. It got to the point that I'd really have to yank the BG out of the water when I was catching them or the LMB would beat me to them.

Try cutting the tail and the upper fin off one of the small BG with scissors and see how that goes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Try cutting off various fins to see how that works. It won't take the bass long to figure out the BG are easy pickins when you toss them in.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I know that there is a video out there when a couple of guys are hand feeding SMB with fish while they are snorkeling. I don't remember where I saw it, though.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
I know that there is a video out there when a couple of guys are hand feeding SMB with fish while they are snorkeling. I don't remember where I saw it, though.

Handfeeding with what, fish? Remember Coach. Remember!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
It was Nate's bunch.

It doesn't take much maiming of a BG for a bass to have easy pickins. Clip top part or bottom part of tail, or one side fin. If the bass are lazy feed hogs like mine, catch some bluegill; pinch them gently behind the eyes. They will swim erraticly like;...well if you were pinched on the medula oblongata by a 500# gorilla.
PS...catching BG in a cast net is a hit and mostly miss proposition.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/17/10 11:04 PM.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Maybe my pond is just super-overcrowded with bluegill. I can throw the baitcasting net anywhere in it and catch 20-30 little bluegill pretty much every time.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Has anyone ever tried stuffing enough floating fish food pellets into a bluegill's mouth/gut to make it over-buoyant for this purpose? I may try that this weekend in addition to the fin cutting and eye pinching techniques.

Last edited by Nathan Payne; 03/18/10 10:20 AM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
perfect time of year to catch a bunch of small lmb spawners before feeding any bg to the rest.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Nathan Payne
Has anyone ever tried stuffing enough floating fish food pellets into a bluegill's mouth/gut to make it over-buoyant for this purpose? I may try that this weekend in addition to the fin cutting and eye pinching techniques.

Stuffed Bluegill...its whats for dinner tonite!

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Bass are very trainable. When i walk down tho the pond you can literally see the water parting as the bass come when they see me from a distance. I freak people out by whistling to them and tell them I am calling my bass. they will follow me all the way arounf the pond. I use rigging wire pushed through bream and attached to a line and telescopic pole to feed the bass sometimes or just squeeze the bg or bream and chunk them to the bass. Now when I trim fat from chicken or clean out the freezer of old meat, the bass literally love it if broken into proper sizes. Fun to watch.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Don't want to hijack thread, but welcome gotta nuddn.
Where are you from in GA?

Just do it...
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I think it is awesome to cut small yoy up to 8" and fed them bigger bass, most ponds here are bass crowded anyways. On the fin clip thing be agressive I have had clients catch bass where we clipped a few fins, we now clip all of em even tail fin and they can still swim.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
bg have to be close to the top natural food for lmb already. I cannot see why they would have to be trained to eat what they naturally do. I throw hundreds sometimes thousands in different ponds over a season. The bass go into a frenzy. Sometimes boiling and fighting over the bg, two attacking the same fish. A few of my ponds the lmb are just stacked though. I have seen them do the same with crawdads, and even cut chunks of American Shad. As far as feeding by hand, depends how hungry the fish are, and how long you have been around them. I know a few guys that treat them like pets. Never fish for them. They readily hand feed, up to 10 lbers.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 04/03/10 11:52 AM.
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Edgar,

I am from Vidalia Ga

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
How long does it take to train LMB to come for their meal? I've been getting BG from my two traps twice a day for the last week or so and done different variations of clipping, pinching, stuffing, and just tossing and have seen a few get taken by my hungry bass. But more often than not nothing happens. (I'm sure they eventually get eaten though.) I wasn't expecting to train them in one week. But if anyone has experience in this, I'd love to know more or less how long it takes before I'll be able to toss a BG in and watch a bass devour it every time.

I haven't tried the rigging wire thing yet. How do you 'hook' the BG so that it comes off easily when the LMB takes it?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Time it takes will depend on several things including how hungry bass are as PFrog suggests. Another thing that will deter is how hard the bass have been fished in the past which would produce some negative influence of humans. The LMB will have to "learn" to overcome this "shyness". I think you are correct, damaged BG are getting eaten sooner or later maybe often later. Greg G provides good insight as to trimming of fins of feeder fish. It may take 3-6 wks or more for LMB to be conditioned/learn to take the dead ones off the top. Forage fish food shortages definately will enhance training time of the LMB. Pellet trained bass who are used to human feeding will train to eat BG a lot quicker than hard fished "wild" bass. Generally the longer and more regularly you do add the wounded BG the more conditioned the bass will become. Over a year or two more and more new, younger recruited bass will enter/learn the feeding foray. Pond size and number of feedig locations should also have an affect on feed training.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/26/10 12:35 PM.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Just to give you an update on this. I've been emptying my three traps at least once day (sometimes 3-4) and throwing them into the same spot in the bass pond. And it's now like a few of you said. The bass are there waiting for me. And they go crazy when I start throwing the BG in. My original reason for doing this was to not 'waste' the bluegill as I was draining another overcrowded BG pond. I've had so much fun doing it that I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of all the BG and making it a catfish pond. Now I wish I had a third pond just to raise BG to feed to the bass.

C
C
Resurrecting an old thread.
I've been trapping BG with my new clover leaf trap. Feeding the bass is the highlight of my day!!

Been hoping to catch a GSF but so far, struck out. That trap works very well.

C
C
Clay, did you already post a picture of your trap? Did you make it yourself? How about bait and how long you keep it out before checking it?

Then when you feed the bass do you impair the BG motion in any way?

Thanks
CC

C
C
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Clay, did you already post a picture of your trap? Did you make it yourself? How about bait and how long you keep it out before checking it?

Then when you feed the bass do you impair the BG motion in any way?

Thanks
CC

I bought the trap.

www.reeltexasoutdoors.com/collections/bait-fish-traps/products/clover-perch-trap-bait-fish-trap

I use tractor supply catfish chow for bait. $12.99 per 50 lbs. It's the McDonald's of fish food.
I leave it out a couple hours and usually give it two soaks.

I cut the tail nearly off with my pocket knife before tossing them in.
The bass follow me around the pond now.
I'm experimenting with BG sizes.
I'm shocked at how large a BG a LMB can consume.

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 09/05/18 04:32 AM.
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
This old thread I started popped up in my email today. Here's a video I made a while back of me feeding the bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNeATshNSk

S
S
Cool video. I have a couple I hand feed sometimes but the water is not very clear and they have to beat the CC so they don't always get one.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you are disabling sunfish for feeding to bass, it helps to use a pair of sharp scissors to trim fins - clean, fast cuts.

A
A
Even better if you could catch small skinny LMB and feed them to the bigguns.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 10:35 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward