Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,133
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne), 945 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
So the end result of Condello's contest thread gave me an idea.

Here's my idea:

Let's take a rather generic multipurpose lure and start at one of the forum member's pond. After the lure has successfully caught a fish at the pond then that member would mail the lure to another forum member who after catching a fish on his/her pond in turn ships the lure to another forum member. (Hence the traveling lure).

There would have to be rules or guidelines:

1. A photo must be taken of the forum member holding the fish.

2. The lure can only remain in any one place for a given length of time. This should be long enough so that fishing can occur. If however no fish is caught, at the end of the time period (yet to be determined) then the lure must be forwarded. If a person does not catch a fish then they still must post a story about fishing with lure and post a photo of them holding the lure at their pond site.

3. Once a fish is caught the lure is forwarded to the next forum member.

4. We will create a thread about the "Traveling Lure" and the thread will include photos and the fishing stories.

5. If the lure get's lost (which is quite likely to happen given my fishing ability) then we will have to decide what to do.

I'd like any and all ideas feedback. The mailing of the lure could be timed to ensure that forum members would have the lure when they are at their property (to assist absentee owners like myself).

I would think that the lure would have to be durable and multipurpose (I'm open to any and all suggestions).

What do you folks think?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I like the idea JHAP. Maybe need 2 or 3 lures that would work in all areas of the country. Nothing too much so the mailing cost doesn't get too bad. Or maybe take a vote as to what specific lure gets chosen?
Good idea!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mann's Baby Minus One or some sort of Rapala would be my choice for this situation. Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.

Lunker
Lunker
What a great idea! Geeze, it has been so long, I forgot my password and how to post...... Back problems, on the upswing.

I vote for the Johnson's weedless silver spoon with white pork rind. It was the best for fishing in Lake St. Clair for Smallmouth and Pike.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cisco
I like the idea JHAP. Maybe need 2 or 3 lures that would work in all areas of the country. Nothing too much so the mailing cost doesn't get too bad. Or maybe take a vote as to what specific lure gets chosen?
Good idea!

That's a possiblility Cisco, perhaps a package of 2 or 3 lures. I'd prefer if it could be one lure but it might be problematic getting one lure to work across the country. The US postal service has those priority mail flat rate boxes. We could easily fit one or several lures in a box and it will ship anywhere in the continential US for about $5.00.

Originally Posted By: n8ly
Mann's Baby Minus One or some sort of Rapala would be my choice for this situation. Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.

I like the looks of that the Mann's Baby minus one! I don't want to saddle anyone with this. It will purely voluntary participation. Nate, you and Bruce and George have exponentially more experience in fishing waters across the US than I do. If we could get a consensus between some of our more experienced fishermen that would be great! Perhaps we should set up an expert panel, eliminate down to 5 lures and chose perhaps a collection of 3 lures. Once a consensus is reached, I'll buy the lure(s) and put them in a plastic box or something and ship it to the first participant.

Originally Posted By: 2catmom
What a great idea! Geeze, it has been so long, I forgot my password and how to post...... Back problems, on the upswing.

I vote for the Johnson's weedless silver spoon with white pork rind. It was the best for fishing in Lake St. Clair for Smallmouth and Pike.

Sorry to hear about your back issues 2cat!

I'm completely open to suggestions as to the lure. At my pond the most successful lures have been the Rapala X-rap surface lure and a Rooster Tail. But I'm probably the worst fisherman on this site.

I think this is gonna be fun! Plus it has the makings of a Pond Boss article written all over it!

More lure feedback please!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
First off, great idea!

Secondly - a stick bait like a Rapala or any inline spinner [Panther Martin, Mepps, Blue Fox, Rooster Tail] with barbs pinched on the treble[s] will catch everything that swims, including BG.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great input TJ, and I don't have any problems with folks crimping the barbs, I do that on every lure on my pond.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
What if each paticipant swaps the lure with one of their own? For example, first person sends a lure and the recepient sends the next person a different lure?

Would this be more exciting or ruin the entire idea? Also the member would be forced to think about what might work in the receipient's pond. Unless it ruins the novelty of the travelling lure, it seems like it may make it more challenging and exciting?

What say you JHAP?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
... I don't have any problems with folks crimping the barbs, I do that on every lure on my pond.

No doubt afraid of GSF reprisals if'n you don't. \:o

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
can we start a shipping donate tab? \:D

I vote beetle spin or Mr. Twister. Use the same safety pin, but can add the color, shape of the rubber.

then again, the folks up nort, with all those toothy fishes, may need a BIG Rapala, (or for Peacock bass)

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/14/10 04:35 PM.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
The Brotherhood & Sisterhood of the Traveling Lure

sounds like a chick flick.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The only problem I see is that TOM G is going to end up in the pokey after trying to mail dynamite.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: s_montgomery
What if each paticipant swaps the lure with one of their own? For example, first person sends a lure and the recepient sends the next person a different lure?

Would this be more exciting or ruin the entire idea? Also the member would be forced to think about what might work in the receipient's pond. Unless it ruins the novelty of the travelling lure, it seems like it may make it more challenging and exciting?

What say you JHAP?

Hmmm, that idea has real merit. Perhaps we can save that idea for Round 2. For this one I'd like to see the same lure or group of lures travel. But I like the way you think. We could have a lot of fun with a lure swap thread.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
No doubt afraid of GSF reprisals if'n you don't. \:o

Absolutely, I want no harm to come to any beloved GSF during this contest.

Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
The Brotherhood & Sisterhood of the Traveling Lure

sounds like a chick flick.

It does. How about "Fellowship of the Lure." No that sounds too corny. Ok so we need to work on a better name for this process as well.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
The only problem I see is that TOM G is going to end up in the pokey after trying to mail dynamite.

It is unlikely that this would be either the first time or the last time for that occurrence.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What about starting the lure's travels, and when it goes to the next person they add a lure to the box? Person has to catch one fish on each lure, add one and the next person has to catch 3 fish, etc.? Quite a number of lures can fit in those flat rate boxes. Maybe by the time it all ends, the whole mess of lures can be auctioned off at the next conference and the $ donated to the Jesse West Foundation?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I like this idea too.And I wasnt thinking of mailing any dinamyte.However,the fish I caught in the box would probably get the next persons attention. \:o

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.

OK, I’m in if I can fish my “Gutless Frog”, restricted to private ponds infested with water primrose and lily pads ….

Last edited by george1; 03/15/10 08:19 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What happens to the person who's line breaks and the big fish swims off with the lure ? \:D

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Have you got a gun?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
That is an awesome fly George!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I love the idea, JHAP. How's about "Lore of the Traveling Lure" since there'll be stories with each use?

Your idea of single lure is fun - the one lure will have a load of stories at the end of whatever time frame you choose. With a single lure, it just seems like it would be a lot cooler in terms of being the next person in line to use it, thinking of the energy residing in it from all of our brothers and sisters on the forum who have used it before us (no that's not some new age bull crap about aura and karma and all that jazz, just a fun way of giving the lure a little personality! ) Maybe it could even be auctioned off at the next PB Convention.

Count me in.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't want this to become complicated, I want this to be fun.

I'm thinking one of two processes either one single lure or a box of three different types of lures (including one of George's “Gutless Frog” if he is willing to part with one). I'm leaning toward the box of three lures just so each recipient has a better chance of catching a fish.

I have found some great wooden boxes at reasonable prices (about $10). Something like this that is 4" by 6". I'll check to see what fits in a flat rate shipping box.

At the end of the event the box of lures will be available for auction here on the site (assuming that this is OK with the boss). I'd like it to be an on-line auction so everyone would have a chance to bid on the box. All proceeds will go to the Jesse West Foundation (assuming this is Ok with Ewest).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What if the fish I catch is bigger than the box?Is it OK to put that box in a bigger box along with the fish?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
No Tom. Don't mail the fish, don't mail the dynamite, mail the lure and only the lure (oh and the box). So to recap, box and lures get mailed, fish and dynamite please keep to yourself.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dang it, I've always wanted to try a DuPont Spinner!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JHAP -- you choose the lure and we'll find some darn way to catch a SD fish on it!! \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday