Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,021
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (canyoncreek, jludwig, Fishingadventure, Pat Williamson, Boondoggle, Jason D, STG, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, JoshMI, gautprod), 1,206 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Just pump the well and see if you suck air. No substitute for an actual test. Replentishing rates will also vary over the year.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thanks!

Last edited by JKB; 02/27/10 10:28 AM.
A
Fingerling
Fingerling
A
I'm planning for some tomatoes, lettuce, and a variety of peppers this year. Will also put in some pumpkin and squash seeds for the fall harvest.We are also planning a pretty extensive herb garden. I find that fresh dill is one of my favorite herbs year-round!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It is already 2 months past time to plant onions and no one in my neck of the woods has a garden in yet because it has been to wet. The only person that attempted it (the garden guru in or neihborhood)set back and watched his rout in the ground and then get covered in 12 inches of snow.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
It is already 2 months past time to plant onions and no one in my neck of the woods has a garden in yet because it has been to wet. The only person that attempted it (the garden guru in or neihborhood)set back and watched his rout in the ground and then get covered in 12 inches of snow.

You can just buy Onion sets, and good to go.

Last edited by JKB; 03/18/10 03:32 AM.
W
W
"Im in the Nursery buissiness and for those of yall planting a garden outside I was gonna tell yall that you can put out a weed prevenative called Treflan and you won't have to do any weeding. It keeps the weed seeds from germinating. If your planting your garden from seeds then don't put it out until after the plants come up."

Thank you for this information, it will help me. I too love gardening, actually i have a little garden in the back of my house.

-------------
how to have a baby girl diet

Last edited by wandaschmick; 09/27/10 10:52 PM.
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Welcome to Pond Boss wandaschmick. Good group of folks here and the knowledge base is quite diverse and extensive. Thanks for the info on Treflan, I will be looking into it.

I too enjoy gardening. This is my second year at it. Although we had huge gardens when I was a kid, and I worked on a produce farm, it was never any fun, because it was work. Now, it has a whole new meaning.

I tried a few 4ft x 8ft raised beds this year in addition to the regular garden. I am now a believer in raised beds and high density planting. Hardly any weeds in the beds, easy to manage and uses less water. I got so many Anaheim Chile's this year I don't know what to do with them all. I've been putting them on everything. They go real good with brats and chicken.

I had a deer problem early on. They ate most of my cabbage, a number of bush bean and cucumber plants. The remedy I used was to put clumps of dog hair throughout the garden, then I put some dirty tee shirts and sweat pants on posts. No more deer! You could see where they walked around the garden, but never entered.

I also tried some companion planting, seems to work.

My new raised beds are going to be in the shape of a capital "E", overall size of 20ft long x 12ft wide.

I am also putting up a 10ft x 20ft greenhouse. Not an expensive one, but one of those starter units. Walmart and Sears has them for about 500.00. I also have a number of trees to remove to get better sun.

Another experiment I am going to try is a small Aquaponics System. Although I may just utilize the fish effluent in the raised beds and pump new water into the tanks.

An eventual small pond by the garden is a must.

It will be a few years to get it all setup. Big project for this fall is to remove the rest of the trees and stumps. Maybe while the backhoe is here have a small pond roughed in. Test holes were dry as a bone this year, so I am planning on a liner.

One bad thing about this year is we had virtually no bees, so pollination was very low to none at all. Not one pumpkin frown

Anyway, gardens are fun smile

Last edited by JKB; 09/22/10 08:18 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My garden was a bust this year. It flooded twice, each time suffocating the plants. I'll need to truck in a couple loads of black dirt and raise that area. I was think of maybe making a few raised beds.

JKB, what are your raised beds made from and how high did you make them? I could see doing that and installing a drip system. I just need to decide what route to go.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I made the raised beds out of those 3x4 landscape timbers. They were supposed to be 3x5's as the ad said, but when I got home the tape measure told me the truth. I bought a whole bundle from Home Depot, they were 1.97 each on sale. Should have checked Menards ad, they were on sale for 1.77 each. Could have save 20 some bucks, oh well.

I cut them to length and miter cut the ends with the 4" vertical and nailed them together. I went two high so the beds are only 8" deep.

Under the beds, I disked it up pretty good, scraped off some of the top soil (nice to have a tractor) threw some sand in, tilled it, limed it, and some 12-12-12, then I slightly compacted (back graded) it with the bucket (nice to have a tractor) smile

After that I set the beds in place and lined the bottom with cardboard. Earthworms love that stuff and the whole idea is that they compost from the bottom. I also have a simple method to keep the worms happily feeding on the cardboard. I still have to try it, but as with fish and gardens, it takes time!

I placed about an inch of my really coarse sand on top of the cardboard, then mixed up equal amounts of topsoil and compost. Added a large bag of Jiffy Potting Soil and about 1/3rd bag of peat moss, and this was mixed up really well, with water. It took about six hours from start, to have it planted and watered.
Anaheim Chili

This bed is as described above. It is only 4ft x 8ft and 8 inches deep. It has 18 Anaheim Pepper Plants, 10 Revolution F1 Bell Pepper Plants, Oregano, Calendula, South-port White and Tokyo Bunching Onions, and my favorite... Sweet Basil... They should make a mens cologne, aftershave, deodorant out of that stuff!

Last edited by JKB; 09/22/10 09:57 PM.
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: wandaschmick
" you can put out a weed prevenative called Treflan and you won't have to do any weeding. It keeps the weed seeds from germinating.

Wandasmick, will Treflan work (in the spring) as a preemergent for asparagus?

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bing
Originally Posted By: wandaschmick
" you can put out a weed prevenative called Treflan and you won't have to do any weeding. It keeps the weed seeds from germinating.

Wandasmick, will Treflan work (in the spring) as a preemergent for asparagus?

Bing

Good question. I have a couple Asparagus beds planted and plan more. I really do not have a weed issue with the raised beds. I would like to knock out another acre or two with a herbacide and plant something other than weeds.

Last edited by JKB; 09/23/10 12:49 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:57 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:52 AM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:46 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
Concrete pond construction