Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 778 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#204610 02/17/10 04:30 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok so I am reading CJBS2003's post about "How many people really manage their ponds and maybe they would if they new about PB" My question is this.

I drove about 200 miles yesterday just in Arkansas and had to have seen at least 20 or more ponds. If I had a PB buisness card with all the neat info on it could I stop and hand some out? Or is that a no, no in some way? Could I make some Cards to distribute or is that illegal? I don't want to do anything wrong but I would have stopped at a few of them and tried to say hi and give them a card. You never know who may just join up right? Just wondering if that would be ok to do without getting into any trouble for it? Plus it would give me an oppurtunity to get to know another person here in Arkansas that has a pond.

Thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: RC51
Ok so I am reading CJBS2003's post about "How many people really manage their ponds and maybe they would if they new about PB" My question is this.

I drove about 200 miles yesterday just in Arkansas and had to have seen at least 20 or more ponds. If I had a PB buisness card with all the neat info on it could I stop and hand some out? Or is that a no, no in some way? Could I make some Cards to distribute or is that illegal? I don't want to do anything wrong but I would have stopped at a few of them and tried to say hi and give them a card. You never know who may just join up right? Just wondering if that would be ok to do without getting into any trouble for it? Plus it would give me an oppurtunity to get to know another person here in Arkansas that has a pond.

Thanks,

I would suggest asking the "Corporate Pond Boss" for some cards to pass out, or just tell someone about it, or write it on a piece of paper as a note.

Printing or publishing your own stuff without "Documentation as Permission from the exec's, with their signature", IS Fraud, because you have now taken a degree of control in something that is not yours to begin with.

Just ask if someone would send you a few cards to pass around. Being an excited and positive advocate of PB, someone may give you a few. Other than that, stick to word of mouth, Links, or hand written info.

If you wanted to print something out and pass it around, I would make sure it contained no more than: "www.pondboss.com". No logos, or other words without written permission from Corp.

Todd, care to clarify?

Last edited by JKB; 02/17/10 07:12 PM.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well that's what i am asking i guess. Is there anywhere where you can get Biz. Cards or Some kind of a Flyer you could give out? It would be a great way to introduce yourself to another pond person. I was just wondering.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
RC - I like the way you think. Check out my PM

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well that's what i am asking i guess. Is there anywhere where you can get Biz. Cards or Some kind of a Flyer you could give out? It would be a great way to introduce yourself to another pond person. I was just wondering.

Have to ask upstairs to see if they will send you promotional stuff. My guess, as a business, not going to get anything unless you were a business in line with their marketing. So don't hold your breath.

Could be wrong!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JKB

Thanks,

I would suggest asking the "Corporate Pond Boss" for some cards to pass out, or just tell someone about it, or write it on a piece of paper as a note.

Printing or publishing your own stuff without "Documentation as Permission from the exec's, with their signature", IS Fraud, because you have now taken a degree of control in something that is not yours to begin with.

Just ask if someone would send you a few cards to pass around. Being an excited and positive advocate of PB, someone may give you a few. Other than that, stick to word of mouth, Links, or hand written info.

If you wanted to print something out and pass it around, I would make sure it contained no more than: "www.pondboss.com". No logos, or other words without written permission from Corp.

Todd, care to clarify?

Appreciate you thinking of me. This is not my area, but PB and its logo are owned by Bob L. and Mike O., so they would have all say over the manner of promotion, for sure. I wouldn't even want to get into copyright discussions, but it would undoubtedly be best to get permission for such an idea. That said, I think it's a neat idea and one that maybe the PB powers-that-be could use to come up with even a simple PB promotional post card or something similar that we could order as members and just have to pass out as a reference if we found ourselves in a situation conducive to doing so. Easy marketing, cheap as all get-out to print in volume, and an easy way to promote the mag and forum.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've often thought about ways to help increase the Pond Boss subscribership and have discussed it w/ Lusk, Otto, and others in the past.

One consideration is the cost of marketing activities vs. the return. The magazine, itself, sustains on advertisements and subscribership. When you consider subscribership, we're talking about what, $35.00 per year per subscribtion?

So, it's a tough go. But the idea of having some cards to pass out is a very good idea.

One of Lusk's recent accomplishments was to get Bass Pro Shops to stock the magazine. I have not yet heard any numbers as far as increase in subsribership yet, but the Condello Pink Hat issue was a scorcher.

Drop Lusk a PM and ask him.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A pack of biz cards is ultra cheap to print. They could be delivered with the first issue of each year for existing custs and with the first issue (regardless of timing) for new subscribers.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
RC that is a good idea about Pond Boss cards, we all see places with ponds and a card would give us a good reason to stop and meet the owner, the worse that can happen is they sic their dog on you.
Another possibility is a small pamphlet with facts about fish and ponds while explaining the benefits of Pond Boss Mag.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I agree that cards are cheap in and of themselves, but there is an administraion cost involved with supporting such a program. Remember that the nut is not the $35.00 or so of a subscription, but the profit margin involved from that $35.00.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Sunil I will thanks. I also thought if a person had some older Mags you could give one to the person your talking to. Just so they could get an idea of what the magizine is all about. That may also help subscriptions.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Hey Guys,
Pond Boss depends on 'word of mouth' to expand our subscriber base. We don't advertise at all. We depend on the website and our readers.
As you will see in the next issue of the magazine, we've been thinking of ways to increase subscriber numbers. We need more people to help spread the word.
Bottom line. We would LOVE to provide anyone with brochures/cards, etc. for you to spread the word about Pond Boss.
I'm in Phoenix at the moment at a Purina dealer expo, but I'll call the office and visit with Gayle and ask her to design something (brochure, cards...something with good eye appeal) and communicate with you guys and get some tools for you.
Thanks so much for volunteering to help out. Pond Boss is a great resource for people.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks AP I was just trying to think of a quick easy way to introduce myself to some of these folks and tell them about the PB GEM I have! \:\) I have a neighbor just across from my pond that has a pond and I thought it would be a great way for me to get to know him and others.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bob thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to hearing from Gayle. I would be glad to spread the word when I can.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
I did a yahoo site explorer look @ pondboss.com, and including all of its pages, there are only 31 verified links to the site. That doesn't count yahoo answers, wikianswers etc, which are likely doing some good, but it is a very low #, especially considering the amount of content the site has.

It would do the site a world of good if more people linked here from pond/fishery related sites, and also if the site was listed in the common web directories, odp, dmoz, pegasus, etc. A yahoo directory listing would also be great, but honestly, it is a paid listing, and as Mr. Lusk states, advertising is not usually done other than word of mouth.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
 Originally Posted By: JKB

Thanks,

Todd, care to clarify?

Appreciate you thinking of me. This is not my area, but PB and its logo are owned by Bob L. and Mike O., so they would have all say over the manner of promotion, for sure. I wouldn't even want to get into copyright discussions, but it would undoubtedly be best to get permission for such an idea. That said, I think it's a neat idea and one that maybe the PB powers-that-be could use to come up with even a simple PB promotional post card or something similar that we could order as members and just have to pass out as a reference if we found ourselves in a situation conducive to doing so. Easy marketing, cheap as all get-out to print in volume, and an easy way to promote the mag and forum.

Thanks Todd.

My dimwitted suggestion is that, the ptb's, come up with something on the site that a subscriber could print out on their own printer should they decide to do so and distribute the material. It would have to look good in B&W and Color.

Let's say, RC51 printed this out on his own printer while logged in, passed it around, and a promotional code came up with RC51 on it when a new person subscribed. Give RC51 some brownie points towards discounts of PB Stuff.

Then you don't have to run the printing presses dry, spend a small fortune on promotional stuff that may end up in the garbage, not to consider the postage.

Dumb Idea, Let me know!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
JKB: I think that is an excellent idea.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah that is a good idea I agree with Bing on that one! Print them as you need / want them. That would be great! Cause there may be times you are going to a bigger event and might need more print outs and then maybe you just need a couple for your next outing. You could control how many you want and never really have to bug anyone at PB. The promo code would be cool too! Not a must but it would be pretty neat to be recognized if that person did join. Great idea JKB! Lets see what they come up with. I am curious now!

Last edited by RC51; 02/18/10 03:09 PM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
This does sound like a really great idea. Probably would be best to get opinions from members on what size would be easiest to carry with them. I know I carry some of my dad's business cards with me in my wallet at all times. Would we want something that size? Or like a full page flyer. What are everyones' thoughts.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Wallet size would be a good start.

1) They fit into wallets so nothing to really care for.

2) No one ever throws out a business card. They may get shuffled around a bit, but anything that size usually gets saved, and will eventually come up again.

3) You can all-way's stick them on a bulletin board in your local area, donut shop, gas station...

Lunker
Lunker
Gayle is an outstanding designer of things like this. I didn't realize she is off today, so I'll ask her to come online tomorrow and read this thread and start working you you all to get the materials you need.

Ironically, I've been thinking about a Pond Boss "Ambassador" program where we enlist your assistance in spreading the word about Pond Boss.

We've talked about rewards such as trips to LL,2, or fishing trips...stuff like that.

Our mission this year is to grow our subscriber base. We are bouncing ideas around right now and I'll be coming at you all for some input, probably this weekend.

In the meantime.....we'll see what Gayle can offer.

Thanks for stepping in and bringing this idea to the forefront. Let's make it happen.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Hello to all - This is Gayle at Pond Boss "Corporate Headquarters".

It's exciting - and much appreciated - to see that so many of you are interested in helping us spread the word about Pond Boss!

There are a number of ways to approach getting cost-effective, compelling marketing tools in the hands of our loyal readers to help us grow... and, as Bob mentioned, there are some ideas on the table already.

While we look at the best way to structure and implement a formal program, I don't see any reason why we can't get started with a business card that can be produced inexpensively, has impact, and drives the recipient to our website. I will get started next week on a business card sized design. In the meantime, if you are interested in having a supply of these cards, please email me at gayle@pondboss.com with your name, mailing address, phone and a quanitity that you would like to have to start.
(i.e.,100, 250, 500). This will help determine the intitial printing quantity, etc.

Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool... particularly when the one spreading the word can offer up how being a member of the Pond Boss family has benefited them in their pond management goals.

Thanks - I look forward to hearing from you.

Gayle Allston
Editorial Assistant
Pond Boss Magazine
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Hello RC51,

Thanks so much for your interest in helping us spread the word about Pond Boss.

I will get started on a design for a business card size piece. In the meantime, please email me all your contact and mailing information at gayle@pondboss.com and how many cards you want and we'll get started. Great idea!

Thanks again,
Gayle

Gayle Allston
Editorial Assistant
Pond Boss Magazine
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Gayle,

Thanks I am glad I could maybe finally contribute to the PB family instead of being the one taking all the time. Right now it only seems fair I should try and do something to help out if I can as so many people here are helping me! I will email you my information shortly.

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM