Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,308
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 577 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192646 11/18/09 03:13 PM
O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I will be stocking my 3/4 acre pond in Nebraska with forage fish, FHM, GSH, BG, and RES this coming spring '10. Following that I will be stocking advanced LMB fingerlings, in the 9-12" range. I will be feeding and my question pertains the LMB eating pellets. These LMB will likely not have been raised on pellets so I'm curious if they will eventually learn to eat pellets, if I can train them to eat pellets, or if it's even important at all that they eat pellets.

My primary focus for this little pond will be diversity (CC,HSB,HCP are other potential species) geared mostly towards bigger LMB. I will be using differently sized pellets to encourage all species to feed.

Omaha #192649 11/18/09 04:15 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
LMB can be purchased feed-trained from some hatcheries. If they're not feed-trained from the hatchery, you might have better luck just spraying small aquamax pellets to feed the bass through the GSH and BG, this is reported to help LMB growth rates and increase pond carrying capacity. Stocking tilapia might be an option to increase bass growth, if you can get some of the more cold-tolerant Blue Tilapia.

In my inexperienced opinion, if you're going to be feeding regularly anyway, why not grow Hybrid Striped Bass? They're supposed to do great on artificial feed and won't overpopulate your small pond. They probably won't control a BG population, but you could still have other fish present.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: txelen
LMB can be purchased feed-trained from some hatcheries. If they're not feed-trained from the hatchery, you might have better luck just spraying small aquamax pellets to feed the bass through the GSH and BG, this is reported to help LMB growth rates and increase pond carrying capacity. Stocking tilapia might be an option to increase bass growth, if you can get some of the more cold-tolerant Blue Tilapia.

I don't believe the LMB that I will be obtaining will be specifically trained to eat pellets so I was thinking just feeding the BG to in turn feed them would suffice, but I was curious. I believe I am way too far north for tilapia to survive even the spring or fall, let alone the winter. They would be very cool to have though.

Originally Posted By: txelen
In my inexperienced opinion, if you're going to be feeding regularly anyway, why not grow Hybrid Striped Bass? They're supposed to do great on artificial feed and won't overpopulate your small pond. They probably won't control a BG population, but you could still have other fish present.

I will have some HSB in the pond, about 20 or so as an additional species, but was preferring LMB as my primary species since they do so well and are so low maintenance.

Omaha #192739 11/19/09 11:23 AM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Anyone with LMB experience give us a nudge here? I'm curious if LMB naturally train to pellets? If not, how does one go about training them? Are pellet trained LMB really necessary as their gape allows them eat anything that swims anyhow? - Meaning - should one simply focus on pellets for BG/HSB/Minnows and not worry about the LMB so much because EVERYTHING serves as forage for them? I don't manage for LMB but this topic has me really interested.

Cecil - Eric - Travis - Burgermeister - D Davidson?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have no idea how to feed train LMB. I do know that the couple of feed trained LMB that are in the pond are doing much better than the LMB that aren't eating pellets, and these fish are still eating AquaMax 600 pellets (well, they were until the water cooled down!)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Anyone with LMB experience give us a nudge here? I'm curious if LMB naturally train to pellets? If not, how does one go about training them?

Cecil - Eric - Travis - Burgermeister - D Davidson?

If bass are not feed trained on pellets very few if any will take interest in the pellets. There are folks that claim they've had the bass take interest in pellets that were not feed trained but I suspect either/or the bass were starving or they were feed trained at the orginal source and the pond owner didn't know it.

Feed training of largemouth at hatcheries usually takes place when they are about 2 inches if I remember right, and involves crowding them and starting them on a natural feed and weaning them to pellets.

Are pellet trained LMB really necessary as their gape allows them eat anything that swims anyhow? - Meaning - should one simply focus on pellets for BG/HSB/Minnows and not worry about the LMB so much because EVERYTHING serves as forage for them? I don't manage for LMB but this topic has me really interested.

I don't think they are necessary. I agree 100 percent in what you're saying.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Are pellet trained LMB really necessary as their gape allows them eat anything that swims anyhow? - Meaning - should one simply focus on pellets for BG/HSB/Minnows and not worry about the LMB so much because EVERYTHING serves as forage for them? I don't manage for LMB but this topic has me really interested.

Ok cool, I won't focus on trying to obtain feed-trained LMB then, and just concentrate on feeding the other species.

Omaha #192978 11/20/09 03:27 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Ok cool, I won't focus on trying to obtain feed-trained LMB then, and just concentrate on feeding the other species.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm going to catch hell for this but even though feed trained bass may grow a little faster and are many times plumper, I don't believe they are as healthy as their counterparts that are well fed with natural feed. My bass always had lots of fatty tissue inside and seemed to stress easier than their counterparts. I also don't believe pellet fed bass live as long either. At least that was my experience when I had up to 400 green carp I fed daily in a .62 acre pond up to 6 lbs.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/20/09 04:54 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Omaha #192979 11/20/09 03:37 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have never stocked feed trained bass. I have seen 3 LMB at the feeder eating pellets along with the bluegill and catfish.

JHFV #192981 11/20/09 04:20 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don't know about training them. Sometimes LMB show up to eat pellets. The next time they don't. And, I have no way to know if it's the same ones.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Some times LMB show up at feeding time to chow down on the BG.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: george1
Some times LMB show up at feeding time to chow down on the BG.

That'd be cool to see.

Omaha #192999 11/20/09 08:47 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Here, sometimes the BG show up to feed with the LMB.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Bobbss - 05/07/24 03:26 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 08:51 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting