Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,319
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
4 members (Augie, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, JoshMI), 1,090 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182800 09/10/09 10:19 AM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Seeing how I had a dream the other night about JHAP and I going fishing (please don't ask) I figure I am part of the semi-functional Pond Boss family and had some news to share.

My fiance (of rotenone engagement pictures infamy) has just accepted a position with the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. She is their new Community Fisheries Biologist working out of Emporia. She will be focusing on angler recruitment and retention among other things. But basically that means lots of kids fishing clinics to practice with other people's kids before we have our own. It really is a dream job for her.

I only know one person in the state (who oddly enough is a former Dr. Willis student who will be helping out at the Pond Boss conference). So, if anyone is looking for a new fishing/hunting/drinking buddy in the area let me know.

Also, if anyone has any fishing spots to share I'd be very happy to check on the fish for you. I've already got my eye on a couple lakes in the area that have largemouth, spotted, AND smallmouth bass all in one. I know Dr. Willis spent some time in the area and caught a 1.5 lb GSF, hopefully it is in the 3 lb range by now. Can you imagine how many tomato plants I could fertilize with that?

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: csteffen
Seeing how I had a dream the other night about JHAP and I going fishing (please don't ask) I figure I am part of the semi-functional Pond Boss family and had some news to share.

Please don't summarize it for us; I don't want anyone to interpret what it might mean. \:o

You should be able to get some Jayhawk fishing tips here. Kansas is right next to Nebraska, so Condello has probably already caught every fish in the state at least once.

Bruce?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: csteffen

Let's be very clear here. If you had this nightmare dream about fishing with JHAP, that would fully include you in the semi-dysfunctional Pond Boss family. Welcome my friend, to the show that never ends...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
btw...
was he wearing the codpiece?

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
EWWW! visual image

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to tornado alley Chris! They form so well in the flats of KS cause Nebraske sucks and Oklahoma blows!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am friends with Kansas' upland game bird biologist. He is the man when it comes to quail. PM if you're interested and I'll pass his info on to you. He's more of a hunter than fisherman, but I am sure he can put you on some good fishing spots there...

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
No summary, but at one point he did convince me that since car tires had air in them cars would float and we could use the pond as a parking lot. To help me sleep at night I am now self-medicating with black velvet.

CJ-pm sent. Would love to get in on some quail, might be a sin to admit it here, but I do very little fishing from Sep.-May while I hunt. I hunt pheasants, waterfowl, and turkeys mostly, but do shoot a few quail,deer, squirrels, rabbits every year in Iowa. Really looking forward to bagging my first prairie chicken, Kansas has the highest harvest of any state for them. Also it will be nice to live in a state with a dove season, man are they fun (and tasty).

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Stayed in Emporia one night while working in Kansas. A cold front hit that night and the guy at the Holiday Inn said they a had a special and gave me a room on the north side. Woke up freezing and there was about a foot of snow in the room with me, where in had blown under the door. Now I know what the special is in Emporia. Next morning it was 10 below zero and wind blowing 50 mph. Good luck in Emporia.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
heybud #182820 09/10/09 02:37 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Stayed in Emporia one night while working in Kansas. A cold front hit that night and the guy at the Holiday Inn said they a had a special and gave me a room on the north side. Woke up freezing and there was about a foot of snow in the room with me, where in had blown under the door. Now I know what the special is in Emporia. Next morning it was 10 below zero and wind blowing 50 mph. Good luck in Emporia.

Us midwesterners and norderners call that a brisk day with a light dusting. How much did you save with the "special"?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CSTEFFEN -- that GSF was down at the Pittsburg strip pits. \:\) Melvern Reservoir, just east of Emporia, had lots of 10-12 inch white crappies plus a good run of white bass up the river each spring. Marion Reservoir to the west used to be ok for walleyes and pretty darn good for wipers. The real question is whether a 22-year-old fishing report is useful?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
The real question is whether a 22-year-old fishing report is useful?

I'll find out and let you know how I do. If they aren't hot lakes maybe Andy Jansen can hook me up with something. It will be nice to have one friend in the state, especially a fisheries biologist. Maybe he will have some good Dr. Willis stories to share?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh, I doubt that Andy will do much sharing. Wink, wink.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It's official, I'm the stuff dreams are made of.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Chris:

Congrats on the change of address!!!

Whatever abode you live in, please make sure that it has someplace safe to go in case of a twister. They're not something that you can usually ride out like a hurricane.

Degrease the firing pin and trigger assemblies on the guns, they don't work so well in cold temps all lubed up! Also, some shotshell powders don't like the cold either, and they don't have the oomph like they do when they're above 50*.

Whoo whee, this will be an expensive move! Lets see, winter clothes (both good stuff and hunting stuff), ice fishing gear, snow tires, chains, snow shovels, etc., etc.!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/07/24 10:09 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday