Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (Sunil, Jason D, John Folchetti, Lake8, JoshMI, LeighAnn, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose), 1,235 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180135 08/24/09 08:21 AM
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Morning....

I am in the process of my new pond filling up - mother nature and garden hose! I'm probably better than 1/3 full presently and I was wondering if I would be smart to stock shiners and minnows into the pond now. I don't think that I am going to have enough rain between now and the end of fall to get it full, so it looks like the fish will be going in next spring at this point.

Would I be better to add some of the forage bait now and let it take hold, and then also add additional when I stock the fish next spring?

Just trying to do what I can to create a great long term fishing/swimming spot!

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
rcooked #180144 08/24/09 08:52 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How deep is the water now and do you expect it to fill up some between now and ice up ? I assume the hose is non-chlorine water.

It is a close call as to if you will get any growth between now and winter. I would try with some FH and a few GShiners as you may get a good jump and you will not have many $ at risk.

ewest #180154 08/24/09 09:15 AM
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Yep,

The hose is running straight well water as we speak... I know some might find it nuts, but it has made a big difference in running for 5-6 days.

I'd say the "deep" end has about 5 feet of water in it (when filled will be about 11 feet) and the other end is approaching 2 feet of water at this point.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself at this point - not sure....

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
rcooked #180175 08/24/09 10:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I agree with ewest. I'd put some things in now, and that way you'll have a jump in the spring.

Remember, fish are not always available, so you could have no source next spring.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #180177 08/24/09 10:35 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Maybe get a little fish feed and see if they'll eat some while it's still warm.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Novice here but what is the advantage since if you buy 1000 now the most you could have would be 1000 next spring as there is no spawning going to occur in the fall and winter... right?

Reality is a birds or other natural causes will cause some to die and what has been gained?

rcooked #180218 08/24/09 03:12 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: omegaman66
Novice here but what is the advantage since if you buy 1000 now the most you could have would be 1000 next spring as there is no spawning going to occur in the fall and winter... right?

Reality is a birds or other natural causes will cause some to die and what has been gained?

That is my opinion as well. You may pull off some FHM spawns, but it's getting close to the end of the spawning season for even FHM. GSH are definitely done spawning. If you stock now, you're just feeding the birds and other critters and not gaining much in the mean while. At least IMHO...

rcooked, what are the goals for your pond? Are you trying to grow trophy bass, sunfish, or a balance of the two? What your goals are can also dictate what species to add...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You may get a spawn from both as they will try to fill the pond if possible. In addition you may get some growth and those fish will be there ready to spawn first next spring. Plus you will have fish there and not be dependant on supply and timing next spring. Further in the spring what you can buy will probably be yoy (hatchery not going to sell you its brood stock). The result is those put in now will spawn way before next spring's additions will. So you will have an extra spawn class and size. You may lose some to cold and predation but the risk is small in view of the potential extra fish, the time gained and risk that you can't get them when you want them.

ewest #180240 08/24/09 06:40 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'm with ewest. Not much to loose & a good chance to gain. Plus you'll be spreading the cost out some.
I'd put forage in asap & feed as Theo says.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Lunker
Lunker
Has anyone mentioned the satisfaction of going to sleep at night all Winter long, knowing there are fish in the pond? I managed to get that one year with just a bunch of snails.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A lot of times I dream about my pond. It happens more during the winter when I dream/wonder about what the fish are doing under the ice.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #180269 08/24/09 09:33 PM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Maybe you should consider shutting off the hose for a while and concentrate on structure while the "gittins good".

I wish I had more habitat or structure in my pond before it filled. Good Luck....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Great point.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Has anyone mentioned the satisfaction of going to sleep at night all Winter long, knowing there are fish in the pond? I managed to get that one year with just a bunch of snails.

+ 10...knowing ANYTHING is swimming in there is a tremendous feeling.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Sunil #180283 08/24/09 10:22 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
A lot of times I dream about my pond. It happens more during the winter when I dream/wonder about what the fish are doing under the ice.

I'm in good company! \:\)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

rcooked #180285 08/24/09 10:49 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Rcooked

Based on my own mistakes I can offer the following advice: Filling only partially and creating structure is a great idea...doing so after the pond is filled is possible, however, entails exponentially more effort and limits your structure options and placement considerably.

I agree stocking FHM and GSH is cheap and not a bad idea for several reasons:

1. FHM are cheap - $8/lb. You could buy 20d from a bait shop if necessary or trap them yourself. IIRC 5:1 ratio Female - Male is your target. Males are large, females are small - so go 5:1 small vs large. If your female FHM are gravid IMO you will most likely pull off a spawn and have thousands wintering over and getting a jump start in the Spring.
2. According to the experts GSH probably won't spawn but why not stock a few hundred to get started on next year? I stocked 250 in my pond and 1 yr later have literally tens of thousands. Great initial investment of $30.
3. Consider adding some pallets for FHM spawning habitat. They are free, plentiful, and easy to place.
4. If you only fill partially I would recommend sowing some fescue or rye around the edges of your pond - this grass when flooded in the spring will provide perfect GSH spawning habitat.
5. Even though your primary fish aren't in the pond, stocking anything and watching them feed or cruise the shallows is a very cool experience...it's a purely emotional thing - but Sunil and Theo are right, it gives you something to think about over the Winter and a forage foundation upon which to build. Even if you lose them all, it's a minor investment for what could be an important step establishing your forage base RE Ewest.

Just my two bits.

ewest #180295 08/24/09 11:58 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: ewest
You may get a spawn from both as they will try to fill the pond if possible. In addition you may get some growth and those fish will be there ready to spawn first next spring. Plus you will have fish there and not be dependant on supply and timing next spring. Further in the spring what you can buy will probably be yoy (hatchery not going to sell you its brood stock). The result is those put in now will spawn way before next spring's additions will. So you will have an extra spawn class and size. You may lose some to cold and predation but the risk is small in view of the potential extra fish, the time gained and risk that you can't get them when you want them.

What he said.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Rcooked

Based on my own mistakes I can offer the following advice: Filling only partially and creating structure is a great idea...doing so after the pond is filled is possible, however, entails exponentially more effort and limits your structure options and placement considerably.

I agree stocking FHM and GSH is cheap and not a bad idea for several reasons:

1. FHM are cheap - $8/lb. You could buy 20d from a bait shop if necessary or trap them yourself. IIRC 5:1 ratio Female - Male is your target. Males are large, females are small - so go 5:1 small vs large. If your female FHM are gravid IMO you will most likely pull off a spawn and have thousands wintering over and getting a jump start in the Spring.
2. According to the experts GSH probably won't spawn but why not stock a few hundred to get started on next year? I stocked 250 in my pond and 1 yr later have literally tens of thousands. Great initial investment of $30.
3. Consider adding some pallets for FHM spawning habitat. They are free, plentiful, and easy to place.
4. If you only fill partially I would recommend sowing some fescue or rye around the edges of your pond - this grass when flooded in the spring will provide perfect GSH spawning habitat.
5. Even though your primary fish aren't in the pond, stocking anything and watching them feed or cruise the shallows is a very cool experience...it's a purely emotional thing - but Sunil and Theo are right, it gives you something to think about over the Winter and a forage foundation upon which to build. Even if you lose them all, it's a minor investment for what could be an important step establishing your forage base RE Ewest.

Just my two bits.

That too.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
teehjaeh57 said :

"Filling only partially and creating structure is a great idea...doing so after the pond is filled is possible, however, entails exponentially more effort and limits your structure options and placement considerably. "

You guys come to the PB Conv and I will show and tell you how to do structure easily from dry to full pool. There will be a slide show/power point on that very subject. There are relatively easy ways.

ewest #180326 08/25/09 09:42 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
You guys come to the PB Conv and I will show and tell you how to do structure easily from dry to full pool. There will be a slide show/power point on that very subject. There are relatively easy ways.

Best news I've heard all week! Anyone else feel like it's only 23 days 'til Xmas?

Lunker
Lunker
rcooked

I have an even better idea:

Finding the forum will save you a lifetime of lessons learned through sleepless nights and tens of thousands down the drain...

Subcribing to Pond Boss Magazine will prevent you from applying rotenone and draining your pond and starting all over - maybe more than once...

Coming to the Pond Boss Conference in three weeks will accomplish all of the above in three days, plus a whole lot more.

If you want to get it right the first time, and literally become a semi-pro fisheries manager over a weekend - seriously consider attending. The world's foremost authorities are there and give freely of their time and expertise. I heard Sunil is planning on taking over the cash bar one night and pours very stiff totties! Shhhhhh....

ewest #180331 08/25/09 09:52 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

What no hand puppets? Theo said you'd be bringing hand puppets.

I'm looking forward to the presentation, even if you don't use hand puppets, although I really, really, think hand puppets would be a good addition to your presentation.

I'll bet Sunil has hand puppets.

A huge plus one on going to the conference. More pond information than you thought existed, you get to meet great people, and have more fun than is legal in 11 states.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
There is something really obscene about water without fish. Nuff said.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

What no hand puppets? Theo said you'd be bringing hand puppets.

I'm looking forward to the presentation, even if you don't use hand puppets, although I really, really, think hand puppets would be a good addition to your presentation.

I'll bet Sunil has hand puppets.

I harbor an innate fear of sock puppets...a near cousin of hand puppets. Far too near...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I harbor an innate fear of sock puppets...a near cousin of hand puppets. Far too near...

Factoid added to GSA database. Dang sometimes you guys are like shooting fish in a barrel.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
What did you do at your pond today?