Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Sunil, Fishingadventure, jmartin, RAH), 1,163 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178998 08/15/09 05:56 PM
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Hi Everyone,
I have a pond that is 60 feet wide, 100 feet long and 17 feet deep when it is full. Right now the water is about 9 feet deep. ( I have a small seep)This early summer, I had hair algae for the first time in the 10 year history of the pond. Also some curly pond weed around the edges. All of a sudden, after a week of rain, (6"), the pond is crystal clear. I can see all the way to the bottom. I do have an aeriator going, it sits on the bottom and sends up a column of bubbles 24/7. The pond has never been green from algae blooms. All of the hair algae disappeared too. Just vanished. The one thing that I have plenty of is Cat tails. They grow all the way around the pond and are about 8 feet tall. They keep the pond water cooler and also shade it. I went snorkeling and I didnt see any fish. I used to have Sunnies and Bass in it. They were good sized, I had a good population of minnows. Now everything is gone except for a few turtles. I use the pond mostly for swimming. But I really miss the fish swimming with me. They used to come up and grab the end of my hair. They would follow me all over the pond. My question is this. Are the Cattails responsible for the pond being so clear?
I really like the clear water, but the Cattails make a big mess in the spring when I have to clean out all the dead stalks.
How do I get pics on here? I can show you a before and after pic of the pond. Before Cattails and after! I love this forum. Pond lovers everywhere! Bobbi

Go for it!!
Lunker
Lunker
Bobbi:

Extensive cattails are using up a lot of the nutrients in the pond, leaving much less for a nice (phytoplankton) algal bloom that would decrease the visibility (and provide a better food chain for the fish.

The rain probably sank the (filamentous) algae by knocking the trapped gases out of it. FA does not usually grow as well in warmer water, so you may not see as much of it until things cool off later this year.

See the Archive thread on posting photos.

P.S. We have some threads on chemical control of cattails if you are interested.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 08/15/09 07:47 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Thank you for the help. I will post some pics tomorrow. Next spring I would like to knock down the cattails. I see pond pics on here that are cattail free! I would love that again. Bobbi

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
My dog Sammy in the Winter.

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/16/09 05:05 PM.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
ok, it worked!Testing one two three! That was easy. I have my pics on photo bucket. I will get pics of the pond on here instead of my dog, Sammy.

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/16/09 05:04 PM.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
This first pic is the pond before the catails. Then pics after catails!

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/16/09 05:07 PM.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Here is my pond with the gazilloin catails on it. The last pic is of the ladder just showing the clear water. It is really nice to swim in.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
this is the pond in the summer without catails. This is what I like my pond to look like.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Except for the dead Sunny floating on the surface. This is the first time I saw that! I have looked at this pic for years and never noticed the dead fish.

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/16/09 05:02 PM.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
This is my pond with Bass and sunnies in it.

This is a big golfish that became buds with the Bass. Those two swam around all day together. You didn't see one without the other.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
This is one of those wonderful moments by the pond. The fish would come up to the edge to be fed.

Go for it!!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Are there that many cattails around the entire pond?

It appears to me as though you have two species of cat tails. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That kitten needs to be careful.

I would eliminate the cat tails and do a water quality test. Clear water is great for snorkeling but bad for fish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Yes, the cat tails are that thick all the way around the pond. They took off like wildfire. Just started at one end and went all the way around. They get this thick every summer. I feel like I am behind a wall in the pond. Compleletly surrounded.
Yes, it is great for swimmng, but the cat tails just dont look very nice.

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/17/09 11:04 AM.

Go for it!!
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Are there that many cattails around the entire pond?

It appears to me as though you have two species of cat tails. \:D

The one species of "cat tails' aren't as invasive as the other one! But I still get lot of them!

Last edited by luvmypond; 08/17/09 11:09 AM.

Go for it!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There are two species of catttail found in your area. The common cattail and narrow leaf cattail. The narrow leaf is much less common and fairly easy to differentiate from the common as it's leaves are noticeably thinner. It is also less invasive and therefore more desirable of the two if you wish to have cattails around your pond.

I am surprised the herons haven't gotten that goldfish yet... Must not have much of a heron problem in your area.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

I am surprised the herons haven't gotten that goldfish yet... Must not have much of a heron problem in your area.

I agree!

With all those cattails, the water might be too deep for them to stand in, or the cattails might be too high for them to see over and they can't see any predators sneaking up from behind them?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
I saw a Heron a few years back, but you are right, the pond is too deep for a wading bird. It has steep sides. I should of asked for a shallow beach area. I didn't know he was going to just dig a big deep hole. So it's not very good for spawning fish either. It has a mud bottom, I could see where the Sunnies dug out nests in the mud in the slope of the pond sides. There is an area where the water flows in that isn't so steep, but its full of cat tails. No fish could make a nest in that mess of weeds.

Go for it!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sometimes sunnies and bass will actually spawn right over cattail and water lily roots, particularly in situations like yours where there is limited spawning locations.

L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
One year we burned the cattails, all the way around the pond. But they still came back. Just didn't have as much stalks to clean up in the spring. So do I spray or wipe the cat tails with an Herbicide? I wiped them one year with a herbicide, but new little ones kept popping up. What do you do, wipe or spray an herbicide all summer? Is it safe to swim in? I have a feeling I will be battling cattials for a long time. I would like to see my pond cat tail free before I die! If I want it free of cat tails, I will have to destroy all of them, but I have a Red-winged black bird that has been nesting in the same spot for three years now. If I could contain the cattials to just a small area, that wouldn't be so bad. I know, make up my mind! I just remembered the black bird. I can't destroy her nesting site. I have the only pond around for miles. We have alot of ravines around here. I like sharing my pond with the wild life, they just have to remember who's pond it is and let me swim in it without dive-bombing me.

Go for it!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's a bit or reading material for you.
cattail control

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

I agree!

With all those cattails, the water might be too deep for them to stand in, or the cattails might be too high for them to see over and they can't see any predators sneaking up from behind them?

One of the few advantages of cattails is the herons don't like wading through them if they are unsure of water depth on the deep side. When I had prolific cattails I had no problems with herons.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
That was some heavy reading!Thank you, now I have to get going and spray those cat tails. This is the time of year to do it. I have nothing in the pond, and if they die like they are suppose to, I can burn the dead stuff this winter. They will come up again in the spring, but if I keep it up, I can control them. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Go for it!!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
How did it go?

If at first you don't succeed...look in the trash for the directions.
S
S
Yeah kinda interested myself,(dealing with the same problem) how did it go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves