Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
1 members (TropicalKoi), 690 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176138 07/28/09 05:35 PM
B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything on a search for Senate Bill 787.

It appears that your ponds and mine, in fact even our water wells, will soon belong to the Federal Government.

Look at # 1 Video very carefully before going to # 2. You just thought you had private property rights and owned property--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHaUadsapc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2jNERXiDQ

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Not supprising. But alas, too much apathy.
Which fish will they allow me to put in my/our/their pond? Can I feed them? What food? How often? Can I harvest? Can I consume? ........

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 07/29/09 04:05 AM.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Makes me almost glad I don't own a pond, because I would probably have a reaction very similar to the one Ric alludes to...'Twould not be court-friendly...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If my dam fails, is it their fault now? Maybe the Corp will build me a new one !

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Man these videos got me hot. I'm trying to resist the temptation, but why is it that I've recently begun having an overwhelming desire to stock up on guns, ammo, and mason jars?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You're not alone...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The last time I checked with the PA Senators & Congressmen, this bill wasn't going anywhere, but I'll have to check back in.

It was in the last year that I spoke with them.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sunil,If/when you talk to them,please tell them I want them to put that bill up ......

And Im real sure there are a little over 5000 people around here that agree.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
There will be a time, and maybe not to far off, when we all have to band together and create a lobbying group to make certain our voices are heard.

When that time comes, we will need to put our money where our mouths are.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I hope that you are right Sunil about this bill going nowhere but it certainly is going to the senate floor for a full vote where the Democrats have a strong majority. The voting in the video was as partisan at it gets, even though I am not so sure that the "no's" had it over the "Aye's" everytime Sen. Boxer claimed.

Either way, this bill is going to cost us one way or another I just hope that we haven't waited too long in countering these blockheads.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Call the US Senators from Indiana. Tell them you are associated with over 5,000 private pond owners in the USA. THAT WILL GET THEIR ATTENTION. Tell them you want Senate Bill 787 thrown out. Ask them how that specific Senator is going to vote.

Tell them how much money you've spent on building and/or maintaining your pond.

Everyone should do this in their specific state.

Now, these are general recommendations. We need to find out when this thing is going to hit the Senate floor.

Check this link:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s787/show

It's not been to the Senate or House yet.

The time to call is (guessing here) about 1-2 weeks before any votes. If someone knows different, please speak up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
From that link, here is the list of bill sponsors:

Sponsor
Sen. Russell Feingold [D, WI]
and 24 Co-Sponsors
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]
Sen. Maria Cantwell [D, WA]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D, MD]
Sen. Thomas Carper [D, DE]
Sen. Christopher Dodd [D, CT]
Sen. Richard Durbin [D, IL]
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY]
Sen. Edward Kaufman [D, DE]
Sen. John Kerry [D, MA]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D, WI]
Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ]
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT]
Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI]
Sen. Joseph Lieberman [I, CT]
Sen. Robert Menéndez [D, NJ]
Sen. Jeff Merkley [D, OR]
Sen. John Reed [D, RI]
Sen. Bernard Sanders [I, VT]
Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen [D, NH]
Sen. Debbie Ann Stabenow [D, MI]
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]
Sen. Ron Wyden [D, OR]

I wonder if there's any benefit to trying to change these sponsors minds?

If not, then my logic would think to let the non-sponsors know how we want them to vote.

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any experience with trying to influence how politicians vote; I have spoken to politicians when I needed things done. If anyone here knows better courses of action, please speak up!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Senate Bill 787.
Was sent to committee June 18th of 2009
The head of that committee is Senator Barbara Boxer.
Sorry….delayed post….e-mail crashed.

Last edited by jims place; 07/29/09 09:55 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oooo Eeee....look at all dem "D's"

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Illinois Senators:
Dick Durbin
Roland Burris

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Search on the internet and you can find it. Opencongress and thomas are good sites to track federal legislation.

Brettski beat me in listing IL Senators. On just about every important issue, you can rest assured that our Illinois Senators will be on the WRONG side of it. I don't think they are particularly interested in hearing opposing views either; but it never hurts to share our opinion. I've done that a lot.

Contact guidelines: Be courteous. Be direct. Be succinct. Don't threaten. Do reference specific legislation (include bill numbers if possible). Do double check spelling / grammar; but don't let concern about that prevent you from contacting them. In all likelihood, your letter will have a generic response and the gist of it will amount to a plus or minus regarding support or opposition to a bill. Get to know them, if possible. Never totally trust that they know about the legislation or what impact it has. They may have just a few minutes to review over a thousand page bill. Contact them - even if they are almost as bad as those from Illinois.

One former legislative leader in Illinois told a group of us one time about the cockroach theory and why he (and many of his friends) hated the NRA so much.

The cockroach theory goes something like... No one (politicians) really cares or thinks about the cockroaches (voters) much as they go about their daily business. If you see one or two (get contacted by one or two voters), you think "no big deal". If you start seeing more (getting more contacts), you start thinking there is a bunch of others and worry.

The guy was really anti-gun and hated the NRA (and obviously didn't know all his audience members very well); but was reluctant to push for anti-gun legislation because the (water holding structure) NRA would get enough cockroaches upset that you'd wind up on the street trying to find a real job.

Maybe pondmeisters need to make like cockroaches and create a PAC?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I'm curious as to why the supporters are mainly N Eastern, with a few Mid western???

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Get on their asses, Cecil. You voted for them!
As for my water(excuse me, mine and SENATOR Boxer's, A higher power has been taking mine for several months.

Ive also had crashed email, internect and business issues.
Now, all is good.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
REFER TO QUOTE BELOW.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
How big is the list of congressmen that oppose this bill. I am not too educated when it comes to politics so I don't know. wondering if there is enough votes to stop this crap! One little word change, that's all doesn't mean much! BS..... thief's!

A little snow, Please!
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I'm with Rangersedge; we need some kind of PAC like the NRA. I'm definitely pro-hunting, as I grew up doing it; but there are far more fishermen in this country than there are hunters, and it would seem just from the fact that this bill has any traction at all that our voice is not being heard too loudly, if at all.

It is utterly astounding to me that this ever saw the light of day. I'm not one to use cliches, but this bill truly goes against every basic principle this country was founded on. We need to let the Democrats know that if this passes, every one of them will be out on the street on their butts looking for a new job. This is ridiculous. It's shameful. It's far more akin to Big Brother than anything Bush ever did; to think the Democrats demonized him for trying to prevent a second 9-11 and then they have the audacity to try to sneak this through...Wow.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm afraid this topic may get too hot and too political to continue, which is unfortunate. I would ask restraint from all. It is an important issue.

I believe this basic bill has been introduced and defeated a number of times in the last several years. A very similar bill passed here in WV about four years ago, with virtually none in the aquaculture community even knowing it was in existence.

This is a true double-edged sword type problem. Neither Democrat nor Republican has the answer. Some type of compromise is definitely required.

There are many very serious issues with multiple aspects.

For many, it is "do you want a job, or do you want to go fishing?"

Just one of the many issues is here in WV. Is mountain top removal right or wrong? Needing coal becomes a very contemptuous issue. We need domestic jobs, we need coal for electricity, and we need it to offset overseas oil. The question on the other side comes down to air pollution, mercury contamination, wanting clean trout streams so the native brookies can survive, and needing clean water for the residents whose groundwater is contaminated by the spoils when the mountain tops and slurry are put into the hollows. Are brookies and other trout any more valuable than the darters and owls that people have fought for in other areas in recent decades. Also, the people most affected in these regions are those with the weakest voices -- those who need jobs, and live in communities that are being poisoned for generations.

Similarly, we have the serious problems with the Chesapeake Bay and the many tributaries in its watershed throughout the entire mid-Atlantic area. We need food production. But, how much do we limit the runoff and chemicals from food processing plants, and sewage processing due to population expansion, that have been at the center of some of the suspected causes of the massive fish kills and the male fish with ovaries in these watersheds?

There is case after case like this, with strong arguments on both sides. Both sides affect hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of people.

Write your senators. I did. Write to Senator Feingold. I did. I even asked if he, or a senior staffer, could attend this year's PB conference to learn more about our views.

Keep it civil,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Get on their asses, Cecil. You voted for them!

Now Burger be nice! I can honestly say I didn't vote for any of these people unless you can explain to me how I could vote for senators in other states (I'm in Indiana.)

Sen. Russell Feingold [D, WI]
and 24 Co-Sponsors
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]
Sen. Maria Cantwell [D, WA]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D, MD]
Sen. Thomas Carper [D, DE]
Sen. Christopher Dodd [D, CT]
Sen. Richard Durbin [D, IL]
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY]
Sen. Edward Kaufman [D, DE]
Sen. John Kerry [D, MA]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D, WI]
Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ]
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT]
Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI]
Sen. Joseph Lieberman [I, CT]
Sen. Robert Menéndez [D, NJ]
Sen. Jeff Merkley [D, OR]
Sen. John Reed [D, RI]
Sen. Bernard Sanders [I, VT]
Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen [D, NH]
Sen. Debbie Ann Stabenow [D, MI]
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]
Sen. Ron Wyden [D, OR]

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
[quote=Cecil Baird1
Now Burger be nice! I can honestly say I didn't vote for any of these people unless you can explain to me how I could vote for senators in other states (I'm in Indiana.)

[/quote]

ACORN can help with that minor issue! \:D \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Oops! Illinois and Indiana do look sorta similar on the map. \:\/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts