Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (FishinRod, Sunil, Jason D, JoshMI, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose, anthropic, Dave Davidson1), 1,203 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#172856 07/09/09 09:26 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I cut one of my airlines from my compressor to a diffuser today while using weed cutter. Easy fix if I can find another hose clamp in the shop.

I knew the airline was there but usually the weedcutter goes right over it. Not this time.

It was pretty obvious. When I turned on the compressor there was a nice boil right next to shore.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/09/09 09:44 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope! But I did pick up the mowing deck when I went over the hose and didn't plan on the tire kicking up said hose into the blades. Both the mower and I got cleaned off.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Try bush hogging old fence wire you thought you had removed but really didn't.

There's an hour with pliers spent under the mower deck you'll never get back.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

\:D \:D \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J

Similar thing happend to me Theo. Except it was the main electrical line to my house! Apparently, the previous owner, for reasons unknown to me had part of the wire come out of the ground and then back under. The neighbors tell me that the previous owner's house had burnt down and they put a camper while they rebuilt. Right where I "found" the line. Why they didn't bury it is beyond me. Needless to say I rented a ditch witch and had a electrician come out and we replaced the entire line from the pole to the house. Talk about sparks and one hell of a adrenaline rush!

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you lay out 500 feet of irrigation tubing and then mow right beside it,when you hit said tubing with the blade it takes .036 seconds to shread and scatter all 500 feet into little itty bitty pieces all over sai portion of lawn.
No,there aint no whoopses at Toms,but a whole bunch of "Damn,I knew better than that".

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C

Been there done that and it aint now fun!

M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
I like to run the 8' disc over the beach area to keep the sand nice and soft. Only had to re-plant the airline once, after cutting in perfect 8" pieces.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I had a nice little hole in the air line right at waters edge, not sure how it got there but I dang sure marked it against the HERON!

A little snow, Please!
C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
The best one I saw was when we used to use the black poly pipe. That pipe transmits a lot of vibration under the water. Well a particular 12 aligator did not like the vibration and I had a piece with his bite marks in it. We had probably 6 areas that he bit into.

Who wants to change that tubing? We opted for the self weighted after that. It reduced the underwater noise and the gator left it alone.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

Been there done that and it aint now fun!

Make that a "been there, done that" twice thrice! Once it was a whole roll of chicken wire that I very carefully backed over before lowering the bush hog in the bramble patch. The best one was the telephone cable that I kept complaining about. It had been sitting on top of the ground for over a year. The bush hog pulled the green connector post right out of the ground before the engine died.

Unfortunately, I did a "first" this afternoon. I was doing my semi-annual bush hogging in my critter fields. For several years I had a garden above the pond, but the critters wouldn't stay out of it, so I moved it up near the house. Each year I find at least one more old tomato cage in the area. And find one -- I did! I unfortunately sharpened the mower blade before staring. It cut that tomato cage up pretty good. One piece, about 12 inches long, went right into the sidewall of my rear tractor tire -- which is (was) filled with liquid.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds like a mess!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
What does filling your tractor tires with water do? I assume it is for increased weight and better traction, but have never seen it done before.

Lunker
Lunker
You assume correctly.

The hillier it is, the more likely you need the traction. It's a PITA when you get a leak, though. The classic solution (around here) uses calcium chloride to prevent freezing, which is nice and corrosive. Tire places charge like $1 per gallon to handle the solution when they work on a tire.

We keep 2 tractors' tires loaded, and the main (Summer) use tractor tires empty. It can handle 95% of the jobs, including all the high puncture risk ones. I got a flat on one of it's rear tires last weekend.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: gallop
What does filling your tractor tires with water do? I assume it is for increased weight and better traction, but have never seen it done before.

Yes, it is for traction. I can't remember exactly what is in my tires, but it is non-poisonous. I believe mine is a glycerin mix of some kind.

Anyway, last night I put the hole at the top, and jacked up the back of the tractor, so little liquid would leak out. I figure I lost less than a gallon -- maybe less than a quart.

This morning I went into town and got several tire plug kits. I plugged the tire. But, it took a 2 lb., rubber mallet to get the plug tool through the sidewall.

After adding a little air to the tire, and getting the rest of the tomato cage out of the brush hog, I finished mowing the last five or six acres this morning.

I'm not sure who surprised whom. With my loader bucket just grazing ground level, I was mowing in weeds and brush that was much higher than the tractor. Suddenly, a very pretty little spotted fawn jumped up in front of the tractor, and trotted off into the woods.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very cool Ken... Glad you didn't run it over. They will hold tight, sometimes too tight!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mowing a neighbors widow ladys yard and their dog drags out everything into the yard. Came too close to a small piece of rug, string got into the blades and drug the piece of carpet into the blades and choked the mower. Had to walk home and get everything to repair, this took two trips as the belt was broke. Could not finish the yard as the entanglement was up higher on blade shaft. Took mower home to remove the blade and clean it out. My lady did all this and as you would expect I was out spoken As I had new blades on the mower. The high temperature manages to bring out the best in us sometimes, but their is always a pay day if you know what I mean.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
In 9th grade I watched an FFA tractor safety video that said to always drive with your bucket low to avoid a roll over. A week later I was driving through the ditch into the field with and bucket dump tripped digging the manure forks solidly into the ground. The tractor did an endo and I probably performed the first ever Ford 8N heel-clicker.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Socrates (I think) said "Everything in moderation" (not too low with the forks!). Of course he said it in Greek. I have some hilly ground, a often need to pick up the loader for dips and rises (keep it on the tractor with bucket removed). Have not had it catch yet, but there will be plenty more chances to do it. Ouch!

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: RAH
Socrates (I think) said "Everything in moderation" (not too low with the forks!). Of course he said it in Greek.

Αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης για!

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης για!

Gesundheit

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM