Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,506
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,605
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
7 members (cjschuhmann, Theo Gallus, LANGSTER, Boondoggle, Willy Wonka, Brett B, Theeck), 1,133 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#171783 07/06/09 08:47 AM
H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Im a new user with a new pond. I have several questoins I will address. Any help would be appreciated. My pond filled up in march. It is 40 yards wide 50 yards long and 15ft deep in the middle. I have stacked pallets on 3 corners, 3 large submerged tires on the dam side a rock pile on the dam side as well. I have also a 5ft x3ft "cage" i submerged to let the minnows in and predators out. We stocked the pond with 1000 fathead minnows and 50 bluegill in early april. Luckily, we have a very small pond just beside our new pond full of mature fathead minnows. We have caught and stocked approx 300 of those as well, which have not spawned and the pond is full of fry. I have put in 5 catfish approx 6lbs each, 20 largemouth bass 11-14", 10 large hybrid bluegill, and 15 or so adult bluegill. Here my questions. 1 month ago, while the minnows were spawning i noticed some mud in one corner of the pond. One of the large bigger bluegill then floated to the top. I suspected possible a turtle below making the mud and wake. The bluegill was dead. Today, there were 4 dead bluegill. They are also adult, 3 had been eaten on, and one was not was not. I have not been to the pond in 3 or 4 days and coons may have eatern parts of them, but Im not sure. Just after the minnows spawned, and against my wished, my father added blue dye to the pond. I was concerned it would not allow the pytoplanton to live and thus kill my minnow fry. However, there appears to still be a large amount of minnow fry in the pond. Is the dye good or bad? Finally a fish truck will be in the area friday. We are planning to purchase more bluegill, and redear, minnows and 50 catfish. I can get the bass later and not getting any more at this time. My pond water temp has been 74-77 degreees. So, why did my bluegills die? Is the blue dye good or bad? And what else should I do? Oh, yead, the catfish and hybrid bluegills regulartly take food on the top. We have another pond that has a feeder and they are well adapted. We feed them every 2-3 days in our new pond. Thanks!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Wow!! You've certainly asked some good questions, and I'm not the guy to give the answers. The pros will be here shortly to help you out, but I do have a couple questions.

I think you really need to determine exactly what you want from your pond. Large GB pond, excellent LMB pond- what??

Does the pond you're stocking currently have existing fish?
If it is a new pond, I would stock with 1-3" BG, some RES, and many pounds of FHM. You might get some adult BG from surrounding ponds or lakes. I think this gives a pond a good balance of gene pools in your fish. I don't think I would put any LMB or CC in until you have at least one good spawn from your BG. Your FHM will spawn seveal time as long as there is a submerged flat surface, such as a wodden pallet, etc. Once your food chain has been established, THEN put your predator fish in. Just my opinion.

Based on your post, I wasn't clear if it was a new pond or existing stocked pond. You'll get the experts here shortly that will give you all the excellent advise you'll need to be successful. BTW, welcome to the board.

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thanks for the info. Its a new pond. My minows, the large ones spawned about 3 weeks ago and there is fry everywhere. I guess, I want a good, big bass population and the catfish too. Bluegills are ok, but mainly using them for food. I do have one pallet, that isnt submerged on one corner and the fry are sticking tight to it. I added several smaller rocks along the side of the pond and the minnows used them to spawn.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
hosob, where in the USA is your pond? Management is very different depending on the location...

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Im in WV.Our pond is spring fed and waterflow is consistant.

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Anybody?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think you may already be pushing the envelope on your stocking. My calculations say you have about 4/10 of an acre which is tough to manage for lots of big bass and catfish. With the numbers you have provided, you have about 50 pounds of bass and catfish. Then we add in the large BG, HBG, minnows, spawning, etc. If you figure that the GENERALLY accepted rate of 100 pounds per acre of predators, you may be overdoing it. A lot of us have done that and learned the hard way.

I don't know why the big BG died but suspect an oxygen shortage due to overcrowding. It has been said that 99% of fish kills are caused by O2 shortage. The dye may have exacerbated the problem but, with a flow thru pond, it probably won't last long.

I certainly wouldn't stock more fish.

Have you had the water tested? Have you considered aeration?

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/09/09 06:04 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thank you very much for the response. I havent had the water tested. 100lbs of predators per acre, I guess Im looking at 40lbs then. Would this include the BG or just the bass and catfish. We have another pond that is spring fed, just out of the mountain. It holds trout but is much colder and had 2 two inch lines of water shooting into it to aid in aeration. It is pretty small, 50ft x 60 ft or so. But also holds small bass and large bluegill. We also got the larger catfish from it to put in the other pond. I guess I was relating to that pond but it is very much aerated and is an established pond.

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
I have 2 one inch lines runing into the pond currently. However they are under the surface. Would they add enough oxygen, or do I still need to look at more aeration?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: hosob
100lbs of predators per acre, I guess Im looking at 40lbs then. Would this include the BG or just the bass and catfish.

The Bass and the catfish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think the 2 lines ought to be Ok with diffusers

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
I checked the pond this morning. The fathead fry are using the cage as protection from the bass, which are lurking nearby. They are hitting the larger schools of minnows pretty hard. I also saw a couple bluegill nests. I wanted to look at the pond just at daylight because I read this is the time when oxygen would be the least. All looked well and no lethargic fish. The fish truck is coming today, what about just getting more minnows, and nothing else? The pond is still very blue. I asked my father how much dye he put in it, he said the entire gallon! I guess thats about double.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nope, I think I would go with bigger bluegills if you can get them. Fatheads are born to die young and are really only good for jump starting a new pond with small predators. You bypassed the small predator growth stage.

It's a matter of calorie intake versus energy expended in the chase.

Personally, I would eat the catfish now.

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Good deal. I have been looking for larger bluegills for the pond. But it seems almost every pond that someone says "come and get them" are ponds that arent full of blugills, but stunted green sunfish, which I wont even consider.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Be very careful sir. You are treading dangerously close to committing heritical blasphmy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
hosob,ignore the threats from the GSA,we have thier "killmode switch" in the "off" position.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
If you need any green sunfish. I know a great pond for them!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Better, but I'm sure this is what you intended to say:

Originally Posted By: hosob
If you need any magnificent green sunfish, which would of course improve your pond immensely, and would fill you with enormous pride knowing that you have embraced your desire to own the most fantastic sunfish known to man, well then I know a great pond for them! And I would be willing to part with some regal GSF even though I shall grieve at the mere thought of parting them.

Yes that's much better.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
H
hosob Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
geez lueeze!! I didnt get to the "fish truck" in time. My father(the blue dye dumper) bought more fish anyway. At least he followed some sort of list. He didnt get any bass, but here is the tally.
160 bluegill, 50 redear, 4lbs fathead minnows, and 30 channelcatfish. He has already put them in the pond. Dont get me wrong, he means very well and acts like a 63yr old kid. But thats another story. Now what do I do. We have a constant breeze and I think I can get a windmill aerator to work. Help!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Get Dad to log on here. A lot of us, me included, have made the mistake of jamming too many fish into a hole of water.

I see no big problem with the forage fish. However, get those cats out ASAP.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Optimal vs. Purina
by LANGSTER - 05/15/24 04:28 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by jludwig - 05/15/24 11:17 AM