Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,988
Posts558,233
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (x101airborne, pebaugh, KiwiGuy, B storm, Sunil, Mainer, Meandvls, JKK, Knobber, DrewSh), 1,017 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
I don't have power where my pond (1/2 acre) is being dug and was considering a propane generator to provide power to my nearby barn and also to run an aerator. I know that they aren't cheap to buy, but does anyone have any idea how much propane a generator would use to run just an aerator in a 24 hour period?

Is there a better method?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
We ran a propane generator at our property until earlier this year. I will get the specifics from my dad and let you know.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
We ran a propane generator at our property until earlier this year. I will get the specifics from my dad and let you know.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing the specifics.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
We have a 6500 watt generator and it used 1 gallon of propane per hour.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They make small diesel generators as well. A friends brother custom builds diesel or propane generators, I could contact him for specifics on what one is more economical to run for a given size. What size generator are you needing?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: NonTypicalCPA
I don't have power where my pond (1/2 acre) is being dug and was considering a propane generator to provide power to my nearby barn and also to run an aerator. I know that they aren't cheap to buy, but does anyone have any idea how much propane a generator would use to run just an aerator in a 24 hour period?

Is there a better method?

You could run several THOUSAND feet of black plastic or PVC tubing for the cost of a gen set.

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
C
How far is the barn from the lake? We have easily run up to 5,000 feet of 1" pipe to feed up to 6 diffusers in the lake.

Compressor location will be at your barn, connected to a single 1" pipe for the long run to the lake. There a valve box is placed to operate as many diffusers as needed in your pond.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Cary Martin
How far is the barn from the lake? We have easily run up to 5,000 feet of 1" pipe to feed up to 6 diffusers in the lake.

Compressor location will be at your barn, connected to a single 1" pipe for the long run to the lake. There a valve box is placed to operate as many diffusers as needed in your pond.

I don't have electricity at the barn, unfortunately. It sits 1/4 mile off the road. The pond will be within 200 feet of the barn, and also 1/4 mile off the road. Maybe I should get the electric company to drop a line at the road and run a compressor from there with an underground air line back to the pond? Any ideas how to theft proof the compressor at the road?

The generator idea is mainly for the pond. I could live without electricity at the barn, but would really like to aerate the pond.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N

I actually inherited about 20 large coils of 1 1/4" black plastic pipe (hdpe I think) that came with the property when I purchased it. It looked to be dumped just inside the woods, I'm guessing it was stolen. Each coil has a different color stripe on it. It looks like it could be irrigation pipe. Could this be used to run the air back to the pond from the compressor? I easily have 2500 feet of it.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Actually the poly pipe works well. The larger the Inside diameter the less restriction...kind of like the difference of blowing through a stirer straw and a large McDonalds straw.

With that size pipe you could easily run a mile away and still have enough air to circulate your pond.

Lunker
Lunker
It might be a good idea to pressure test your joints and even the pipe itself for leaks before burial, especially if it came with the property.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If you have the utility company set a meter at your barn, they should be willing to run a line from the road. My house is 1/2 mile off the road, and they went the long way around, almost a mile, to get there. No charge.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Jersey
If you have the utility company set a meter at your barn, they should be willing to run a line from the road. My house is 1/2 mile off the road, and they went the long way around, almost a mile, to get there. No charge.

I just can't bear to see the poles and wires running through my woods, or else I would go this route.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
It might be a good idea to pressure test your joints and even the pipe itself for leaks before burial, especially if it came with the property.

Good advice. It looks to be in good shape.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
What would I need for an air compressor? It's 1/4 mile back to pond. The pond will be 1/2 acre that drops at a slope of 1:3 to 15ft deep. Are we talking just your run of the mill garage air compressor?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think it would be a lot smaller than what you're thinking of, but I'll bet one of the aeration experts will chime in later today.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: NonTypicalCPA
 Originally Posted By: Jersey

I just can't bear to see the poles and wires running through my woods, or else I would go this route.

They ran it underground.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My utility company (NIPSCO) ran my power underground, but I had to supply and build the "H" frame that holds the meter and disconnect panel, the meter box and disconnect panel as well. I also had to run my own wire from the meter to whatever I was powering from the meter, (house, barn, etc.).

I don't know if they would have charged me if it was a longer run, it was only 80 or so feet from the pole by the road to the meter.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Over the years, as we researched properties, one of the many different facets that needed to be considered during due diligence was the cost of utilities. Without fail, big box utility companies were more expensive for installation, but usage costs were lower....than....the co-op utilities, where the install was cheaper but the usage costs were higher. It should be noted that all my property considerations required long hauls for power.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Two houses back we ran underground 750 feet back to the homesite. I don't recall the exact price but it was several thousand dollars. I would rather spend those several thousand dollars making my pond bigger. I think I will do some research with the local power companies to get a better idea on cost.

Thanks for all the input.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
My First
by x101airborne - 05/04/24 05:54 PM
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:58 PM
RENOVATION TO A POND FILLING IT WITH CONCRETE
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:10 PM
What did you do at your pond today?