Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,108
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,558
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sryously, esshup, Fishingadventure, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, John Fitzgerald, DPSMESA, Pat Williamson), 1,162 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1258 01/07/06 04:29 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

My first post and I'm still reading and absorbing the wonerful info I've found here ...

First, let me describe my location ...
My 5ac parcel sets on a steep ridge. About 3 ac is "usable", and then a steep slope (aka >60% steep ) drops to the other 2ac. My drive way, house and shop are on the "upper" side. My driveway runs down the upper side of the "ridge" and has a 6" PVC culvert that feeds a "mud pit" with seasonal runoff (runoff from neighboring property, gravel road). it actually collects quite a bit of the watershed, but is still seasonal (in the PNW, it rains LOTS during the winter, but is quite dry during the summer).

The "mud pit" (aka future pond site) is about 25' by 50' long. It the input, it's about 1' below the drain, and then narrows to about 4' across and 4' below the drain. Very little to just "fill" the ravine at the end ... (I'll get some pics up very soon, since it's hard to describe).

I'm thinking I could hoe out around 1-2' of muck,
put some fill where the exit narrows, and have a nice 25'x50' pond. With my soil (very sandy), and the smallish size, I'd probably need to put down a liner (and perhaps put 2-4" of "sandy" fill over the liner?)

Being a newb tho I don't want this to become a 25x50 sesspool, or could easily build a "damn" that would just fail in a few years.

Would really appreciate some opinions about the "task" ... I could just make this be a serias of "stream fed pools" (perhaps with recirculating pump for the dry seasons ...

(pics will be in a followup post here in an hour or so ...)

#1259 01/07/06 05:10 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Ok here's some pics ... For "scale", the drain pipe is 8" and the cutoff cedar stump is 30" diameter at the cut.

(click any pic for a "large" version ...

Here's an overview of the site.

It's sorta hard to tell, but the bottom of the drain pipe (on the left) and the top of that stump (on the right) are about level with each other. The dam would be located just about where that stump is (after it's excavated?).

Here's one looking "upgrade". (stump is off camera to the right).

I figure to run a "wall" around the pond that would exclude the huge cedar shown on the right, and follow the rest of the contour (sorta kidney shaped).

Here's one looking downgrade. (drain pipe off camera to the left).

You can just make out the cedar stump, and at that end, the dam would just about go level to the grade on the right. The tree line in the distance is where the dropoff to "down below" is.

This is pretty much maximum flow through (it's been raining 3 solid weeks now). During the summer, the drain pipe goes dry, but that large cedar has tapped an artesian spring that almost keeps it muddy year round ... (I probably have 6-8 springs coming outta the slope "down below")

#1260 01/07/06 05:31 PM
A
OP Offline
A
SOOOOO ...
Now that I've (hopefully) documented the site ... here's the questions ...

Q1) Does this look like a reasonable site for a pond?
I seems like it to me, but I'm a noob. I could just "landscape" in a nice meandering seasonal stream too (lined with bolders, plants, etc). I'd really like to have a "pond" tho for wading into when it's hot, maybe some fish, plants, etc.

Q2) Would I need to "liner"?
I'm guessing that with the sandy soil I have, the answer here is yes ... or else it'll leak dry during the summer (when I really *want* a pond!)

Q3) How "engineered" should the dam be?
I figure it'll be about 4'-5' tall and probably 8' across at the top. I understand I need to have a spillway (could probably C shape that around through). The rest of the damn(sic) design tho I still have things to learn ...

#1261 01/07/06 07:18 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
This looks like a reasonable site. First, you need to know what the subsoils are really like. Is there any clay at all?
If there is no clay, a liner may be a good idea.
Engineering is important simply so to know how tall, how wide and how strong it should be. A dam is a water control device. Its job is to receive water, impound it, control excess water, then release it in an orderly fashion. Engineering helps design a spillway, determine the need for a pipe, etc.
The follow up to this is to start by contacting the NRCS (Natural Resource Conservation Service) in the USDA building in your county seat. They can either help engineer the dam or steer you to someone who can.
There's some starting points for you.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#1262 01/07/06 07:38 PM
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
R. Currey,
As Lawrance Welk would say "Wonerful, Wonerful, Wonerful and Welcome.
I like your ideas.
My thoughts would be to dig a hole and build up a dam,leaving the center about water level. Then line the hole and extend the liner over the dam, down the back of the dam. Then use your "meandering stream" idea on top of liner starting at the dam and going down the back of the dam.
Idealy this would give you a hole of water and a spillway that wouldn't wash and be appealing.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
#1263 01/07/06 07:43 PM
A
OP Offline
A
thx for the quick followup ...

I'm fairly certain of the soil ... it's loam (4"-8") followed by sandy gravel for as deep as I could expect to ever go. In fact about 4' down I found what could be considered beach sand (at the top of this ridge). I also have coal deposits! Nice eh?

It's small enuf area that using a liner won't be too big a deal. Does this make the "design" easier? For example, will a well installed liner negate many of the worries of seep through failure?

Even talking to any gov agency in my county about *any* use of _my_ property is probably going to get me to some supreme court ... I'd prefer to sidestep that.

#1264 01/07/06 08:02 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Here's a e.g of what's happening around me ...
 Quote:
The city of Bellevue is currently updating its critical areas ordinances, and the planners want to declare many already landscaped yards as new "critical areas" requiring tighter regulation, affecting the ability of homeowners to remodel or maintain their yards the same as they have been. Those living adjacent to waterways or wetlands would be required to convert landscaping to native plants at their own expense.
http://www.proprights.org/king_cao.htm ...

Quote:
One of the many new regulations contained in these new ordinances is a clearing limit for unimproved properties zoned RA. The limits are 50% up to and including 5-acre parcels. Parcels larger than 5 acres can clear 2.5 acres or 35%, which ever is larger. The remaining 50% to 65% of your land will be restricted to growing native vegetation. No mowing, no pastures, no gardens, and no orchards.
*without compenensation for the landowners who now cannot use 50%/65% of THEIR land* ...

#1265 01/07/06 08:44 PM
A
OP Offline
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by zhkent:
R. Currey,
As Lawrance Welk would say "Wonerful, Wonerful, Wonerful and Welcome.
I like your ideas.
My thoughts would be to dig a hole and build up a dam,leaving the center about water level. Then line the hole and extend the liner over the dam, down the back of the dam. Then use your "meandering stream" idea on top of liner starting at the dam and going down the back of the dam.
Idealy this would give you a hole of water and a spillway that wouldn't wash and be appealing.
Yea ... I think that's exactly my "plan" and glad to hear it's not "off base". Figure I follow the 3-1 rule on the front/back (and both lined), I should be good to hold back this smallish pond?

BTW, ignore my "rant" about property rights. I've read the actual language of the ordinance, and have the loophole to use in court (if I *ever* have too). It's just the other gov employess who don't understand the law that can make my life miserable (and why I don't wanna get them involved).

#1266 01/07/06 09:53 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RC - As Bob points out be sure about the strength of the dam. High water and heavy runoff can put tremendous pressure on the dam's inward face. Maybe someone can find for you the post were a reader's new pond dam in the NY area recently washed out. Hopefully you can see results of substandard dam construction.

As for a small pond, see this link for what can be raised in a small 0.12 ac pond (59'x88'). There are some pretty smart fish raising people here.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002293;p=1#000005

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#1267 01/07/06 10:47 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm not sure you would want to wade on a liner. You just might poke a hole in it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#1268 01/08/06 11:55 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I'm not sure you would want to wade on a liner. You just might poke a hole in it."

This statement is especially true if you have a peg leg.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#1269 01/08/06 02:42 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
gotta love deteriorated dialogue...
\:\)

#1270 01/08/06 03:47 PM
Lunker
Lunker
As long as the dam is structurally sound, and you have a game plan to relieve flood waters, a liner would probably work well. But, be aware, a liner can be undermined, also.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#1271 01/08/06 08:53 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RC - I finally found the post that showed what can happen to an apparently well built dam if construction was not properly performed.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002087#000009

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#1272 01/09/06 08:31 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Bill,

I _do_ understand that proper construction *is* important. At this point I'm still contemplating what I can/should do ...

I'm thinking I may just cleanout the "junk" dumped in the area when the property was developed 40 years ago, some light grading of the perimeter to appear more "natural", and promote the establishment of natural vegetation. I may couple this with a collection of small pools cascading down the grade.

This approach would have the benefit of providing "seasonal interest" (cascading water during rainy months, attractive vegetation otehrwise), and be nearly zero maintenance (aka mom-nature can do what she wants).

#1273 01/09/06 09:29 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Currey, I keep looking at the pictures and asking myself if I would put that area under water. It's beautiful.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#1274 01/09/06 10:21 AM
A
OP Offline
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Currey, I keep looking at the pictures and asking myself if I would put that area under water. It's beautiful.
You shoulda seen it before the "junk" was taken out ... it's looking MUCH better now.

I'm leaning more towards a natural looking "wet area" with some small paths/stepping stones, moss covered logs, etc. The area is in a highly visible are of the property, and as I get some other areas landscaped, I want that area to look nice. A pond would be a nice addition, but with the input from folks here, I'm guessing that it may be too more work (construction and maintenance) than such a small pond would be worth. (I won't tell anyone yall talked me outta building a pond tho ;\) ). Whatever I settle on, I'll post some updates as the area get's land/aqua scaped.

40 years ago when the cleared for buildings, they tossed tons of stumps into "the pit" (we're talking 10 foot diameter old growth cedars stumps cut around 1900). Lots other "waste" also thrown in ... So, those stumps were dead for 60 years, piled into a wet spot for another 40 and still solid 90% though!

#1275 01/09/06 11:28 AM
A
OP Offline
A
For those that like pics ...

Here's a taste of the "start" of the landscaping going on ...

Entrance (needs a bit of thinning me thinks)

House (yup it's back there, perhaps a small trim to the left side would help).

A few during the "harvest"
Entrance (where did that building come from!)

Got wood? (each log is 36')

Goodbye stumps (dem some monsters to remove!)

#1276 01/09/06 05:14 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...love the topo! Pond or no pond, you are at one with nature in 'dem woods. nice lookin' cedar stock??? V nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:38 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 07:15 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:09 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/01/24 05:52 PM
What did you do at your pond today?