Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
...a long overdue report on LNP in general - been a while since the last one. I know - go to the LNP web site.

lol...the PBF is more up to date than the LNP website...what up wit dat?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good question !!!! Sounds like writer's neglect - laugh -- grin

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Brettski - Are you using this place as a permenant house or week-end, vacation retreat? It's been so long I forgot the goal for this place. How about the fish? Have you caught anything this spring even one fish? I am most interested in how the perch and smallies are doing. You know they are my inspiration for your fishing 'out of the box' dream pond. And how is the overall water clarity???

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/29/14 04:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Bill,
The plan is/was to create a nice weekend and vacation place that we could ultimately retire to. I laid the foundation of the structure to one side of the building pad and set all the utilities in such a way as to allow expansion, whether it be an addition to the existing structure that we are working on right now, or another separate building. Right now, I would be thrilled to have this current project done and behind me. I am way beyond burnt out.
-
The fish...
The last fishing lines into the pond (that I know of) were last summer when a good friend came down to charge my A/C system. He also enjoys fishing. We stood on the covered dock and every third or fourth cast hooked a SMB. They were between 15" and 17" long and looked healthy. Whenever one was being reeled in, you could see another half dozen swarming around it and following it all the way to the edge of the dock. Crazy. Worms on a bobber got the same result. We caught no YP, but considering the activity of the SMB in the area, I wonder if the YP were staying clear. Our water clarity is pretty good; estimate 4 - 5 feet. Last weekend, as I stood at the picture windows (inside, upstairs) I could plainly see 8 or 10 sizeable SMB sunning themselves in the shallower water near shore (in the sunlight) down by the covered dock. Four weeks ago, when I was walking the shore perimeter looking for new muskrat activity, I did see 4 or 5 substantial strings of YP eggs in the shallows. Past all that, though, I don't have much more to report.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A little more paint, a little more stuff...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Great progress on the retirement place.
Fish - Due to early catch results, I suspect the SMB are out competing the YP. Those bass have to be eating and growing due to aggressive eating and it is not likely eating primarily crayfish. Dr.Willis also saw numerous situations where SMB ponds became bass heavy. If you don't thin the bass numbers the prey-predator balance could be seriously compromised when the original stocker adult YP die of old age. Spend a couple hours this summer-fall fishing with small live bait such as worms under a bobber - panfishing. For a balanced YP-SMB fishery you should catch about 10+YP to every SMB while panfishing; 20:1 ratio is better.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/19/14 08:03 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Spend a couple hours this summer-fall fishing with small live bait such as worms under a bobber - panfishing. For a balanced YP-SMB fishery you should catch about 10+YP to every SMB while panfishing; 20:1 ratio is better.

OK, this can be done. It prolly won't happen for a couple of months because of Gar/Apt crunch time, but I need to make the time.
Also, you once mentioned the possibility of controlling the SMB with W/E. Still a player?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Kitchen base cabinets and countertop turned out pretty good. Maple floor is slow to install, but also looks real good. Hope to start the island/cooktop this weekend.

Also got the entire shop area tape coated. Not my forte', but another example of "right when I'm finished, I'll be gettin' pretty good at it".

C
C
Looks very nice! I'm curious if you put a clear sealer of some type on the kitchen countertop? I've seen some people use a rubbed in oil but it has to be re-oiled from time to time. I saw once someone used a product called ceramithane from Graham Paints. They used the matte finish (I think there was a satin and a deep gloss as well) and put in on with some type of a bristle paint pad (the kind that are supposed to help you cut in better by having a pad on this plastic thingy with rollers) they used the pad to get a very even coat without roller or brush marks. It is a water based product that 'crosslinked' to the additional coats. After 3 coats it was an incredibly hard and smooth clear finish that didn't scratch easily and was easy to wipe with a cloth (almost a bit slippery when wet) Just curious what other options there are to top that nice wood you have there.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
I'm curious if you put a clear sealer of some type on the kitchen countertop?

This entire gar/apt project has been an extreme collection of discounts, clearances, and cost-cutting to make it happen. The countertops are another example. They are workbench tops sold by Sears. I picked up the pieces over the years by following their online outlet listings and snapping them up when they were severely discounted. They are 1.5" thick oak butcher block. I added the 1" thick black walnut edge band and Donna-ski has been religiously oiling it all with mineral oil. They turned out fantastic. Our cooktop/island will be topped with a 1.5" thick birch butcher block. I am still uncertain how that will be finished, but imagine it may be coated with my favorite clear finish, Varathane diamond coat.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
WOW what a great look !!!

That is no apt but an outstanding house !!!

The floors and counters are amazing.

At some point you have to tell us how much you think you saved on all the deals.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Brettski, you do amazing work. Your "apartment" is done to a much higher standard than we had when building our home. Your commitment to excellence and attention to detail are outstanding.

As I've watched your progress it has made me think about our own property/home development work. There is always more to do, and there always will be. I need to be reminded to pause and be thankful and to celebrate what's been accomplished or I'll continually be enslaved to the "work not yet done" monster. I hope you and Donna are pausing to celebrate and recognize your milestones. God has blessed you with a beautiful place and the health/skill to build all you have done. With your vision you'll likely never be "done", so I want to remind you (and me) to find joy in the progress and the journey.

Best wishes to you and Donna and thanks for sharing your journey.

Psalm 24:1-2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Eric and Tim,
Somewhat ironic that you two would post back-to-back as you two are likely the strongest and most vocal proponents of taking time to remember that there is a higher power in charge. Dski and I always "try" to remember to give thanks and recapture humility at meals and other significant moments. As a Class A sinner, I am reassured of this higher power thru simple math when I attempt to add up all my blessings. I always lose count after 21.
blush

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The final touches on the domestic water supply manifolds.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Love the updates. Keep up the great work!!!

Just do it...
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Looks good, Brett. High quality install as is typical for you.

Since I know you research everything I'm curious as to what pex manifold you used. We're getting close to the plumbing stage on my son's house and I can't find the manifold I used on our house. Would you share any insights/suggestions you have on manifold design and suppliers?

Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks ya'll...'preciate it.
-
Quote:
Would you share any insights/suggestions you have on manifold design and suppliers?

I designed and laid in all the water lines as home runs. There are no junctions of any sort. For a crib this small, this was an easy decision and common practice for pex. All the runs are 1/2" and deliver plenty of water to each fixture. The copper manifolds are 1" with 1" copper sweat fittings at the inbound end. I picked up all the Pex stuff (including tubing) and some other valves and related plumbing stuff from a popular Ebay vendor. Send me a PM and I'll give you the specific name, but shop Ebay and you will see a couple of major players on there. They carry name brands, so no worries with quality.

All the supply lines are meticulously set (yeah, I know....SURPRISE!!) to run at a constant downward slope back to the manifold. This allows me to drain backwards by opening the faucets and I can winterize in seconds. Toilets work the same way, except I have to scoop out a few cups of water at the very bottom of the tank and throw in a couple of splashes of pink stuff. Same thing with the trap in the bowl. We used this setup all last winter and it worked great. We turned off the the heat when we leave, drain the water supply system (takes about 10 mins of fuss), and done. I don't want to pay for the energy to heat thru the time that we are not there. I incorporated extra valves to allow shutting off the main feed going into the manifold matrix and allowing me to drain back what was left up above into a 5 gal bucket.

This is a pic looking up to the small bundle of snakes. I used a piece of 1 x 4 PVC board to create the 2 guides that organize the snakes so they enter the manifold squarely and securely.

The mechanical room is super-insulated and tight and is the only room that remains heated all winter. I have 2 small 24" elec baseboard heaters in there, each with their own thermostat and one set a few degrees higher than the other. This creates a quasi-redundent heating backup.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is your water heater a tank or tankless system?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Is your water heater a tank or tankless system?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks. Those are a LOT easier/quicker to drain for the winter than the regular tank style ones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work. No water heater (tank) to drain !

What is the next step ?

What about a word or two on how all the previous stuff is working. Any do-overs?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Thanks for the info, Brett.

By the way, your term "quasi-redundant" fairly well sums up your building philosophy smile.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We are doing everything necessary to put the place into gear for a final inspection. Stuff like trim, interior doors, and flooring won't stop the inspection, so it gets put on the back burner. We felt that making the kitchen fully functional was critical to inspection, so it is pretty much done, at least for now.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
As much as I dislike cooking I would be the first to volunteer for kitchen duty with a view like that….beautiful !

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
+1 to Jim!

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images