Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (rjackson, Jason D, Sunil, John Folchetti, Lake8, JoshMI, LeighAnn, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer), 1,264 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Well just got through with a successful stocking of CNBG and Tilapia. I picked up 96 lbs or M. Tilapia to be distributed in my bass growout ponds and 4 acre pond.

I noticed a small percentage of the Tilapia are a cream color or a dirty white color almost. What makes them this color as opposed to the normal color they are? Watch'em be all males or something. I'll have to say they are a real attention getter due to their increased visibility. Everyone loved the "white" Tilapia. I can see a trend here maybe. Everyone was saying, "Go buy a bunch more of those white ones."

Anyways, i'd also like to add that once again Todd Overton is running a top-notch fishery. I had ZERO dead fish out of 1000 CNBG and 96 lbs of Tilapia. Also while I took a walk around all the holding tanks you see no dead fish floating in any of the tanks. I have a lot of respect for someone who runs his business the right way.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Great post, Chad.

Todd is a quality guy with a quality business. Anyone who needs fish and is in the vicinity would be crazy not to buy from him.

Chad, our tilapia from Todd are multi-colored as well. I don't know enough details about the mozambiques to say why. I can assure you they aren't all male, though. Our tilapia from Todd not only thrived...they overwintered.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I got some a couple of years ago that were almost pink. Also had some speckled white ones.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Glad to read that the stocking was successful!!!

It's ALL about the fish!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I've seen all sorts of color markings from all white to almost a tiger strip look.

Tilapia breeding tanks are active. Have already had a couple of spawns.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I also have a wide variety of colors.

This is the first time I noticed that shrimp in there.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
When man gets to messing with things, fish change all different colors!

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Tilapia don't require much outside messing, they are survivors and do pretty much whatever it takes to achieve that status. The dominate genes take over and the red are slowly vanishing.

The red also are easier for the predators to get, reducing their numbers even further.

Last edited by Rad; 05/05/09 09:03 AM.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
You know Rad someday you need to write a Pond Boss article about your operation. You have quite a unique pond environment and I'm sure a lot of us would enjoy reading about it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thanks for the confidence, I never really thought about an article. My sharing knowledge would be of limited use to most, not to mention almost everything I have learned about ponds I have learned from you guys.

Plus my attention span would limit what I could write, it would turn out to be a lot of short choppy sentences about random thoughts.

As an example, I was just over at the larger pond just now and counted 15 tilapia, one large red and the others Nile. The above picture is some of the 100 or so I planted about a year ago, the large red is from that 100. The others are from a stocking of 250, 4 or 5 months later. There are no predator fish, just heron. I see no fry as I walk the bank.

The reason I saw the 15 is because a guy feeds them hand fulls of pellets off and on during the day and when they see anyone walking around they gather.

Unlike you I don't have that gift of composing my thoughts into readable information..

Dwight Yoakam
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
\:D \:D \:D

I was just thinking of an article describing your property and your vision (resort houses I believe?) not necessarily a teaching article. But I'm not going to apply any pressure to ya.

It's true I am able to compose information into a readable format. I've been writing reports for years so it comes easy for me. The only problem is that outside of a few limited subject areas the information that I compose into a readable format is generally useless information. \:D Oh well, I guess everyone has to be good at something. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and thanks chadwickz71 for posting about Todd and congratulations on your stocking. It's great when forum members give positive feedback about our supporting vendors.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM