Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver
18,506 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,969
Posts558,041
Members18,507
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,547
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
15 members (Boondoggle, Jason D, Angler8689, Sunil, Sryously, ghdmd, esshup, JoshMI, Ibanez540r, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Joe7328, Bigtrh24, J. R., gehajake), 925 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
I have not served in any military or public function in my life. Males on both sides of my family served in various capacities, even dating back to the Civil War, Ebenezer Snow from Tennessee, on the Confederate side. I have had a life of opportunity and peace at home because off all the people like you great guys here on PondBoss who served whether you agreed with the conflict or mission at hand, and I thank each and every one of you!
Freedom is never free is it?

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks Rainman. I believe I'll start doing that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Based on my father's genealogy every generation back to pre Revolutionary War England.

These people are the heroes as they willingly gave up all of their tomorrows for your today.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
For such sad places, the beauty of these cemetaries are breathtaking.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Saving Private Ryan is on TNT right now... What brave men they were!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Headquarters Co. 6th Marines. Mid 1950s
Never saw combat.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
US Army 1993-2004 (EOD and 5-jump chump)
Germany 94-96, Ft Carson 96-98
Commanded the 38th EOD Company (Fort Stewart, Ga) 00-01
CENTCOM staff 02-04 stationed in Saudi Arabia/Qatar (with trips to all the exciting places)
Liked the Middle East so much I'm still here

I recently was notified of the death of SFC Lawrence Ezell - we went through EOD school together and he was one of my soldiers at Stewart. He died in 2008 in Iraq while trying to defuse an improvised explosive device). His name will be inscribed on the EOD Memorial next month. Be good EZ.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
1984-2004 US Navy Hospital Corpsmen (Medic to you Army guys) . 4 years stationed with the 2nd Marine Air Wing and deployed to Desert Sheild/Storm. Great bunch of guys.

Granfather: US Navy WWII
Uncle: USAF VietNam
Cousins: 2 seved in USAF
Brother USN Submarines 1988-1996
Niece: USMC Just back from Afghanistan and still serving.
Nephew: National Guard, Served in Iraq.

Rainman, that is a class act and a great idea!

My thanks to all those that seved before me, with me, and are currently serving. You make me proud of this country.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
For such sad places, the beauty of these cemetaries are breathtaking.

I visited Normandy Beach a few years ago. Save for that topless French woman on the beach that had all the males heads turned her way -- while the guide pointed at the gun implacements on the other side of the bus -- it was an absolutely breathtaking tour. Well she was breathtaking too but in a different way.

Please don't get me wrong I am not making light of the sacrifice of our troops. I was in tears at the cemetary. I just can't imagine the courage it took to move against a massive barrage of lead and exploding shells.

Eric,

Maybe our ancestors knew each other? On my dad's side they go back to the revolutionary war with one we know for sure that fought for the Americans -- although they originally came from England in 1650. Name was spelled different then -- Beard.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: edinbowen
US Army 1993-2004 (EOD and 5-jump chump)
Germany 94-96, Ft Carson 96-98
Commanded the 38th EOD Company (Fort Stewart, Ga) 00-01
CENTCOM staff 02-04 stationed in Saudi Arabia/Qatar (with trips to all the exciting places)
Liked the Middle East so much I'm still here

I recently was notified of the death of SFC Lawrence Ezell - we went through EOD school together and he was one of my soldiers at Stewart. He died in 2008 in Iraq while trying to defuse an improvised explosive device). His name will be inscribed on the EOD Memorial next month. Be good EZ.

Hats off to you Edinbowen! If there's anything you need let us know! Anything you can't find over there we can send you?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/09 09:40 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My 6th great grandfather came to America is 1667. He was a ship builder by trade and settle in south central PA. There is actually a village with my family's last name to this day where our originally family settled in PA. When the Revolutionary War broke out, he was enlisted by the Brittish to sail back to England and sail a ship along with supplies back to America to supply the war effort. Little did the Brittish know he was a Patriot and turned the ship and supplies over to the Colonists!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My 6th great grandfather came to America is 1667. He was a ship builder by trade and settle in south central PA. There is actually a village with my family's last name to this day where our originally family settled in PA. When the Revolutionary War broke out, he was enlisted by the Brittish to sail back to England and sail a ship along with supplies back to America to supply the war effort. Little did the Brittish know he was a Patriot and turned the ship and supplies over to the Colonists!

That's fascinating CJB! I find it also fascinating that the revolutionary war was actually not a popular war - at least at first. Apparently many of the colonists didn't want to get on the wrong side of England and were willing to pay the taxes etc. and remain tied to the England.

On another note one of my ancestors in Mass got kicked out of his church for fishing on the Sabbath. I guess he told them "so be it" but then decided to swallow his pride and ask for forgiveness. A different time I guess. What's blows me away is he wasn't pleasure fishing. He was harvesting shad out of the Connecticut river for food.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I had ancestors on both sides of the Revolution. Never been a war that they weren't in.

I told my daughters that they ought to easily qualify for the DAR. There are College Scholarships that aren't all that hard to get.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave,

With the cost of college these days you need all the help you can get. There is no way I could afford to go to college now days. I don't know how people do it these days. I worked up to two jobs at a time when I went to college but that wouldn't even make a dent these days. \:\(

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I had ancestors on both sides of the Revolution. Never been a war that they weren't in.
Same here Dave, as well as two generations of ancestor grandparents that were citizens of The Republic of Texas.
Two ancestor uncles fought in the Battle of San Jacinto.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
With much lower populations back then in North America wouldn't it be wild if our ancestors knew each other?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/12/09 07:54 AM.

M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
Mongo - US Army 1973-1975 Combant Engineer - Germany
Dad - US Army WWII 1943-1946 Tank Gunner

Mrs. Mongo - US Army Reserve 1992-2004 Deployed 10/2001-10/2002 Afghanistan
Dad - US Marine Korean War
Uncle - US Army WWII

Mongo & I are both deeply grateful for past, present, & future soldiers; who have, are,& will protect & serve so that we may enjoy all that we have. We, also, acknowledge the soldier's families' sacrifices & are grateful to them.

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Mongo thanks for keeping this thread curent and many thanks for your and Mrs. Mongo's service to our country.
Your thoughts about the families of those who serve are often forgotten or ignored and their sacrifice is honorable.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
Mongo thanks for keeping this thread curent and many thanks for your and Mrs. Mongo's service to our country.
Your thoughts about the families of those who serve are often forgotten or ignored and their sacrifice is honorable.

Right on George. \:\)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
THIS MIGHT BE A HIGHJACK, but.....
I've enjoyed this PB forum for over 5 years and know what a patriotic, loyal and caring group of members we have, and I know that many are involved in charities and other worth-while ventures, but I was just thinking that maybe we could do a little something (as a group) for a few of our men and women serving overseas. Maybe magazine subscriptions (PB, SI, People, Guns & Ammo, etc, etc, no left-wing weeklies). I'll be glad to help get this started. And Bob Lusk, don't feel pressured to give anything else away - we'll pay for the subscriptions.
Sorry about the semi-highjack, but when I think of the sacrifices that these young people are making for us, and the general public doesn't seem to be too appreciative, it just makes me want to "stand up and be counted".

Just do it...
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I had a friend return from afghanistan with a shattered femur from an AK-47, an inch of his bone is simply missing from the force of such a weapon. Despite receiving the best of care in germany and here at home the bone graft isn't taking as hoped. Thankfully 3 of my other friends returned home safely without a scratch. I only hope that these fine men and women can truly understand how much their sacrificies are appreciated. So to all of you who have served, are serving or will be I humbly thank you!

Words have the power to both destroy and heal, when words are both true and kind they can change our world...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My dad flew for the Army aircorp, L19 Birddog in Korea 1952. Killed flying a Twin Mohawk in 1961. My uncle served in WWII, landed on Omaha(purple heart) , fought in the Battle of the Bulge(two purple hearts)retired as Lt Colonel. Many other family members as well, thank you all in the military..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: maashkinoozhe
I had a friend return from afghanistan with a shattered femur from an AK-47, an inch of his bone is simply missing from the force of such a weapon. Despite receiving the best of care in germany and here at home the bone graft isn't taking as hoped. Thankfully 3 of my other friends returned home safely without a scratch. I only hope that these fine men and women can truly understand how much their sacrificies are appreciated. So to all of you who have served, are serving or will be I humbly thank you!

And Afghanistan is really heating up with Pakistan going to hell in a hand basket next door!

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks for the service to all of you and your families. Svoberts, thanks for serving, we can't thank you enough. I have not served but my daughter just joined the Army and she's due to deploy to Afganistan this winter. I will finally understand what the families of our soldiers go through. It's something I hoped I'd never have to experience. My daughter and Svobert both need prayer! She is excited to go and serve, go figure!

Though I have not served I do work with lots of uniformed military because I've spent my career designing weapons. It's a pretty cushy job compared to the guys that fight with them. Sunil, I would be interested to know what you think of the Bradley. Again, I cannot adequately express the gratitude I have for you brave ones like Svobert. Godspeed! While I did not design the Bradley I work for the company that did and know many people who worked on the design. I also work with people who are designing upgrades to the Bradley. I have recently been involved in designing the MRAP vehicles. We hope they save lives.

Last edited by bz; 04/23/09 10:14 PM.

Gotta get back to fishin!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
SGT in the Army helping to train sailors for JTF GTMO.

My father is a retired SGM from the army

Future Pond Boss
[Linked Image from i53.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:23 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/29/24 08:00 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:45 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification