Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,992
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (4CornersPuddle, gautprod, Fishingadventure, bmicek, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, nvcdl), 1,176 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I've received two emails from forum members who are concerned about the cost of rooms and meals for the Pond Boss III conference in September at Big Cedar Lodge. They are worried that attendance will suffer because of it.
Please let me address those concerns. First, the room rates were negotiated and less than their standard rates. Plus, we have a variety of choices for you to pick. This is a first class venue that has everything we might want for our type of conference. We've blocked rooms and sent in our $10,000 deposit. We're committed.
I understand with the economy the way it is that some people either can't afford or just don't want to spend that much money on rooms. The only other thing I can think of is that for those who can't afford Big Cedar, you might look ten miles away in Branson and find something less expensive.
Part of the attraction of Big Cedar is not only the rooms and the venue, but the fact that they waived the food and beverage minimum for Pond Boss. (New Orleans' Royal Sonesta had a minimum $24,000 food and beverage...we could not make that committment.) So, Big Cedar set their food costs and we added a gratuity to it and added it to the registration form. Please understand, the meals are optional for attendees, not mandatory. Big Cedar has at least 3 restaurants and folks can go eat off the menu for less money, if you want. We're fine with that. But, for the sit down meals with the group, keynote speakers, etc., the cost is higher. That's just the way it is.
I've asked Gayle to start calling our advertisers and vendors and see how many would like to sponsor some meals. The newest idea is to see if we can get 5 or 6 of the Pond Boss faithful advertisers to put up $2,000 each to sponsor some of the meal events. If so, our next plan will be to announce in the magazine that the first 100 people to register will have their meals paid for....but we will await the responses from our advertisers and see what they say. If they'll do that, we'll offer to hang their banners, give them some special words in the magazine and let them address the group at each meal.
In the meantime, here's my thinking. People spend lots of money building ponds...thousands of dollars. Then, they spend hundreds to thousands to stock them. Then, we buy aeration systems, feeders, fish food and pay an electric bill. To me, coming to this conference isn't so much an expense as it is an investment in knowledge and networking with experts and others who have valuable knowledge that may not even be about ponds. Look at JHAP, for example. Spend a few minutes with him to find out tax advantages you might not even know you have. Look at AaronM, Dave Willis, Bill Cody, Eric West, Theo, Sunil, Bruce Condello...knowledge you can't buy, even if it were for sale.
I can't help but notice the conversation has died down on the site and I expect it's because of sticker shock.
So, I hope this explanation helps ease the pain a little bit.
Feel free to respond...either with pros or cons. What you think does matter to me.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Yes,I agree its a bit high,but I am still gonna come.Maybe I,ll eat balogna sandwiches all summer to save money.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob,

As the organizer (and chief fundraiser) of this event, I can understand your angst.

I've been involved with many aspects of regional, national, and international gatherings for over 30 years. My gut feelings tell me that you are in fantastic shape.

My wife and I were so excited when you chose the the current venue, we invited several guests (we wouldn't have done that for the previous proposed location). Although our guests probably won't register for the PB convention, they will help fill the rooms and they will probably spend a lot of money at the resort.

Quote:
. . . but the fact that they waived the food and beverage minimum for Pond Boss . . .

Send "them" pictures of members like me, and they'll know that food minimums are not going to be an issue. Send them some of the posts from the forum, and they'll know that beverage minimums are not going to be a problem either -- unless they run out.

The location is great. The facilities are great. September is great.

[I'd suggest a poll of potential attendees here on the forum, but it seems like well over half the people at the last two conventions were people who have no connection to the forum. Maybe take a poll here, and multiply by 3!]

Yes, some of the things might seem a little expensive. But, this is a very special vacation. Much better than a cruise. Much better than a week at a time-share on the edge of no-where. The total cost will still cost less than most vacations. It will be a lot more fun. And, it will give us more than a year's worth of pictures and stories to embarrass our favorite PB friends.

Ken

P.S. Advice from a Senior Citizen -- Don't Panic! It will happen -- and it will be profitable for all. We'll also be helping the economy.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob -- my wife made reservations for us as soon as the information was posted here.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I am interested in details of the fishing excursion on Thursday? Is Ray Scott and Bob Lusk going to be participating in that event?

Herman Brothers will be booking at least 4 rooms soon for our families wed-sun, I guess we just needed a little nudge to get that done.

I will be participating in the conference meals just to spend time with the fellas you mentioned earlier Bob, but I know that my parents, brothers, wife and any clients and friends that come wont spend that amount of money to eat with the group.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bob we need a method to get other pondowners to join in the pond learin' at Big Cedar. I need emailable and mailable brochure. I can hand these out to every person we stop by for consult or fish stocking. I have 1800 names (not totally organized but getting there) of pondowners. I'm willing to do my part to get the word out but need some help in what I need to send them.

I have personal reasons for not yet signing up. Things have changed on that front so should know soon if going. I really hope to bring many GA pond owners out as well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd love to go and still might if my plans change. I have an antelope hunt planned in Wy., and season starts on the 15th of Sept. $$ is sent in for the tag, and if I get pulled it's non-refundable. If I don't, then it's a different story. I'll know in early July, the draw date is the 3rd.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I am filling out my regristration today and should mail it in tonight.

A form I actually WANT to fill out! That's different.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Look at JHAP, for example. Spend a few minutes with him to find out tax advantages you might not even know you have.

I shall have a booth at the convention.

Tax advice = Free.

Tax advice that sounds reasonable = $10.00.

Tax advice that sounds reasonable and might be based upon actual internal revenue code = $50.00.

Tax advice that IS based upon actual internal revenue code = $100.

Tax advice that is based upon internal revenue code that has anything to do with the question = $250.

Tax advice that will withstand IRS scrutiny = $500.

The opportunity to buy JHAP a Captain and Coke, put a cozy on Sunil's beer, see what kind of hat Bruce is wearing, find out what type of chickens Theo has, hear Ewest's southern drawl (the links sound different once you have actually heard him speak), and meet and talk to Lusk and Otto in person = $Priceless.

This conference is going to cost us more than I had originally planned on. We usually go on a couple of "real" vacations a year (I don't count my drive up trips to the property because I spend the entire time working) and this year we're only going on one. And this year it will be the Pond Boss conference. Yes it will be more expensive than last year's conference but folks this is a world class resort. I've never been to Branson (or MO for that matter). The photos look wonderful. Words cannot express how much fun we had at last year's Pond Boss conference. It is more than just a learning experience. It is socializing with a fantastic group of people that welcome you like family. You will forge friendships, learn a lot, and have a great time. Trust me.

Plus, in this new family, you might find out that you had a long lost crazy uncle, one that you never knew you had, and that your mom never wanted to talk about.

Sincerely,

Uncle JHAP

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Posted by JHAP...
It is more than just a learning experience. It is socializing with a fantastic group of people that welcome you like family. You will forge friendships, learn a lot, and have a great time. Trust me.
I told my wife that almost word for word when she mentioned the price,and I think the "trust me"part is the cause of the "look" I got. \:o

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks Gayle. I got brochures coming my way to hand out to pondowners. I suggest other consulting fishery biologist do the same to help spread the word. It is the center section of the magazine and is a great looking informative way to have someone signup.

Bob how about some reward for those who invite the most guest. Another Mongo woodcraft is an idea or a free nights stay, etc. Seems Nate has a heads start on this but I will do my best.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Great idea for the brochures, Greg. I could certainly do the same thing to help generate interest. Spring is here and we are in front of a lot of potential conference registrants right now, so we shouldn't delay!

Bob, I expect to send in my registration soon, as well. I have a few other things holding me up, but I expect to know something in the next 30-45 days.

Great work in organizing a venue that is diverse, topic-related and recreational for family and guests that aren't as interested in the conference.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help spread the word!

Trent

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I just made my room reservations in Valley View Lodge at Big Cedar for Thursday to Sunday. We'll be driving in from Illinois on Wednesday and, as usual for a trip to Branson, will hit the Springfield Bass Pro Shop on the way down, dinner at Hemmingway's in BPS and shop until closing. We'll stay in Springfield Wednesday night and get to the lodge mid-morning Thursday.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Ours are made also like Bing's except we will be at BC on Wed night.

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Thanks, Trent - and Greg. Trent, I'll get some brochures on the way to you. We appreciate your support and taking the time to promote the conference to your contacts. Every single contact helps - not only promotes the conference, but Pond Boss as well.

If anyone else feels they can distribute brochures to a pond-minded audience, email me at gayle@pondboss.com and we'll send you a batch out right away.

Thanks again everyone!

Gayle Allston
Editorial Assistant
Pond Boss Magazine
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It's almost embarrasing that I just now found this post! It appears I am the lone wolf declaring that I simply can not afford this event this year. I'm not complaining about the cost.... it is what it is. Ponds are not cheap. The knowledge and friendship it offers is priceless, but life was pretty cruel to us this last year.

My family was truly looking forward to this happening and meeting all of you pretty much in our own back yard. We still hope to drive down one evening to meet as many of you as possible. I will have Gayle send me some brochures to distribute and if anyone needs ANYTHING in the St. Louis area, please contact me!

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
The opportunity to buy JHAP a Captain and Coke

JHAP – Sunil and I will buy you all the “Captain and Coke” you want if you wear your Ozzy wig to the Ice-Breaker. \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Gayle - A synopsis of the, "Fantastic planned activities for spouses" would be great. You could just post it here. A little extra excitement for the spouses is always a good thing! \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I would be coming to the event if it weren't for the vacation Uncle Sam has planned for me at that time.

Shawn

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Svoberts
I would be coming to the event if it weren't for the vacation Uncle Sam has planned for me at that time.

Let me guess......Guard camp.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If anyone has any doubts i am coming but just have had other priorities right now which is why I have not registered yet. You can take that as a promise or a threat!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

Nah, I could work my way out of that. I'm deploying to the sandbox just before the conference.

Shawn

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

Nah, I could work my way out of that. I'm deploying to the sandbox just before the conference.

Please keep your head down,gun loaded and safety off.We want you to come back unscathed.Also,say hHi to my youngest while your ther,he's on his second tour.Our prayers are with you.I'll try to drink your share for you at the conferance.

I subscribe

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Shawn, please stay vigilant and never be too modest or proud to ask us for ANYTHING while you're deployed. I have the utmost respect and pride for you and all that have WILLINGLY offered to protect us! Always be proud to wear your uniform, you ARE the reason we are the greatest nation EVER.

MY ENTIRE FAMILY THANK YOU SIR!!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
AND THE APPLAUSE ROARS FROM THE CROWD!!!

I subscribe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/27/24 06:24 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?