Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond, Energymble
18,536 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,573
Members18,536
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
10 members (catscratch, Lina, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, Angler8689, Stressless, FishinRod, John Fitzgerald, Jake D., Boondoggle), 859 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#148541 02/09/09 10:16 PM
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I went down to my 1.5 acre pond today with a baitcasting net trying to catch some 5-6 inch bluegill to move to my 5 acre pond that ive been trying to build the forage base back up on. Anyway I didn't have much luck catching bluegill but I did catch a 1.8 lbs. Yellow perch. I had went fishing at Clarks hill lake one morning 3-4 years ago and caught 5 yellow perch that were about 6" long. When I got home I relized that they were still in my livewell so I just tossed them in the pond. I didn't even know if they could live in a pond this far south. I never thought that they could have survived all the large bass that are in that pond. I should have taken a picture of it but i figured he wouldn't live long enough for me to go get the camera. Pretty neat though. Would have thought as hard as I fish that pond that I would have caught it before now.

Last edited by jsand13; 02/09/09 10:18 PM.
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Excellent surprise, jsand13!

I'm trying to get YP established in a new 2 acre pond, so my interest is more than academic....have you seen any evidence of reproduction of the YP over the past few years?

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
No I had no idea that any of them had survived. He was butterball fat though, Apparently loving the threadfin shad.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Interesting....I wonder if "she" was fat with eggs? One of my fish guys says YP will spawn in our area around Valentine's day, I'm going to look closely for egg cases in the next couple of weeks.

I've wondered if TS can survive in a pond populated with YP, they seem very able piscivores, and I would think they'd just run the shad to oblivion...apparently not so. What other fish do you have in the 1.5 a pond?

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Coppernose bluegill, Red ear sunfish, Bass, Treadfin shad, and a few catfish. The pond is only about 8' deep at the deepest part.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A 1.8 lb. perch is a nice perch anywhere and especially that far south. What's your state record? You could have broken your state record!

Edit: I see now after an Internet search it's 2 lbs. 8 oz. Only 1 pound to go!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/09/09 10:55 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Big YP in Georgia, veeeeeeeerrrrrryyyyyy interesting

Maybe my YP/SMB pond is still a possibility

Pics?

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
That state record fish was caught only about 15 min. from my house. The Lake that I caught those 5 in is part of the river where the record was caught. only about 2 miles down river.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Where did the YP end up? 1.5 acre pond or 5 acre pond?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If the original 5 did not reproduce, the lack of over population and the stunting that results could have led to the very impressive growth rates for your 5 YP. If you could somehow prevent them from reproducing and keep your pond as just a straight put and take fishery for YP you could really produce some southern whoppers! That or hope the higher up predators in your pond can keep their numbers in check and you maybe set up for a great YP fishery.

Gallop, these maybe the YP you might want to use for your future pond stocking. They have shown their tolerance to the warmer waters of the south.

I am betting "it" was a she and she was full of eggs... That far south, the YP should be spawning any day now. They spawn very early in the year compared to other fish. Best of luck in your future YP management.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
YP will feed heavily on the YOY TFS while they are less than 2" after that point they get a little big for YP in the 8"-12" range to catch and readily swallow. An 8" YP would have a difficult time handling a 2" TFS, A 1" TFS would be a better forage item for an 8" YP.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hey, how large is a 1.8 pound yellow perch? I have approx. 150 7-9 inchers in my lake and my dad said I should allow my clients to fish as many out before they spawn this spring/summer (by the way, I am in Wisconsin, when do you think they will start to spawn? How about the LMB, BC and BG?)
Also, how large do LMB (currently 7-12" and 13-18"), YP (currently 7-9"), BC (currently 10-16") and BG (currently 4-6") get if they make it the next year or two with good forage? How about CC (12-14")? (our lake is approx. 6-7 acres).
Thanks guys!!

Last edited by brianalisa; 02/15/09 01:24 AM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
How large is a 1.8 pound yellow perch? Well, it is 1.8 pounds... OK, all joking aside, anywhere from a thin 16" to a very plump 12" or so.

Yellow perch spawn very early in the year, usually not much later than shortly after ice out when water temps are in the upper 30's to low 40's. However spawning can sometimes be drug out later into spring.

The LMB in your area will probably spawn sometime in later May to early June, when water temps reach 65-68 degrees or so.

The BC will spawn in approximately late April, in water temps of about the upper 50's.

The BG will most likely start spawning in mid May and will continue to sporadically spawn through August.

As far as how big will all those species get with another year or two of added growth with good forage... So many variables, its hard to say!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks Lunker! Appreciate the feedback. How large should I expect each of these species to get as long as they are fed well?
also, if I put in a couple hundred catfish, how big could I expect them to get?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Are you referring to a max size when they are at their complete growth potential?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes, that is what I am asking!:)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
CC commonly get to 10-12 lbs in ponds, especially if fed.

Depending on which you optimized the growth of, LMB could get to 6-8 pounds (they will only reach 10 lbs in Minnesota; ask Dwight ;\) ) and BG could exceed a pound, perhaps a pound and a half.

I think YP should be capable of exceeding a pound, by how much I am not sure.

I cannot speculate on the Crappie.

Not all of these species will reach their growth potential in the same pond; with the (probable) exception of the CC, optimum growth for them tends to be mutually exclusive.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
LMB could reach 6 lbs and 22" in a Wisconsin pond such as yours. But 20" and 4 lbs would be a more reasonable max size.

It is not inconceivable for the YP in your pond to go over 2 pounds and reach 16". A 2 pound YP is big by anyone's standards anywhere in the country. However, a 12" YP in a pond is a reasonable max size.

BCP could reach 18" and perhaps 3.5 lbs or so... That is huge crappie! If you already have 10"-16" BCP you are well on your way...

BG can go over 12" and in excess of a pound. But any BG over 8" in a northern pond is a fine fish.

As Theo said, CC are kinda in their own boat. And pond raised CC over 10 pounds is a nice fish. My father's friend in VA has raised them to over 20 pounds in his pond but that is exceptional and those fish were over 14 years old.

It is very challenging as a Pond Boss to have a pond where every species reaches their maximum size. You almost have to focus on one fish if you are looking for true maximums. That is the fun in being a Pond Boss, you get to manage your pond the way you want to...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks guys. Again, appreciate the feedback. If a YP will only get approx. 12" what is the approx. weight?
Also, with these species, will they be able to support each other from their spawnings (and the minnows that continue to spawn)?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
LMB and BG are pretty much no-brainers, they will spawn reliably in sufficient numbers to have self-sufficient populations.

YP should spawn, but tend to disappear over time in BG/LMB ponds unless periodically restocked, as they are preferred dinner shapes for LMB compared with the BG. IIRC the BG also out-reproduce them.

CC will spawn in ponds given proper spawning structure (cavities), but CC fry are almost always eaten in ponds with BG & LMB (slow targets). Not to worry, CC are as cheap to restock as any fish in the country, especially in larger sizes. Most of us would prefer no CC reproduction to the chance of being overpopulated with 10+ lbs cats.

The Crappie are the most problematic. The spawn so soon in the Spring that the large weather changes common then can make huge swings from year to year in the number of Crappie making it to adulthood. Overall, however, Crappie reproduce often enough in ponds to have a notable reputation for overpopulating and stunting.

Given efforts and techniques (so numerous I will not attempt to cover them all here), the above species can be managed. Except maybe for the Crappie.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How about with the minnows in the lake (added approx.700 pounds over summer into fall from none). Between the minnows spawning and respawning, and the above fish species, will or should I need to add more forage or should they all be able to supplement themselves.
Also, "IIRC the BG also out-produce them" What is "IIRC?
Thanks guys!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
In all likelihood the minnow species you talk of are fathead minnows(FHM). FHM are not adapted to handle heavy predation which they would receive in a pond full of LMB, YP and BCP. Even with large numbers over 700 lbs present in a pond, within a couple years the FHM will be completely removed from your pond.

Golden shiners(GSH) are a little more predation resistant. You may want to consider stocking them in your pond. I would highly recommend that you look for the largest size you can find to stock. GSH are often common in community ponds that are muddy, where families come to feed bread to the ducks and carp. In the past I have gone to these ponds and used small size 12 hooks that were barbless. Using small bread balls or corn you can catch dozens of 8"-10" GSH. If you handle them carefully you can transport them back to your pond and release them. At that size they are often too large for all but the largest of bass to eat. This allows them to spawn heavily for a couple years before they die and will often lead to a good population of GSH for years.

The only other forage fish species that is even close to being commonly available commercially that can handle substantial predation is the banded killifish. It is also known as the bull minnow. You can look into stocking these as well. They reach a maximum size of about 5" and in my experience will do well under heavy predation as long as your pond has substantial areas of vegetation for cover.

Fathead Minnow:

Golden Shiner:

Banded Killifish:

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thank you. I am going to attempt to print this information. The main minnows sold around here are fatheads. Somebody told me to not use the shiners or maybe they don't do well here, I can't remember exactly. Are they similar in price to fatheads?
Also, I was thinking of adding approx. 100-150 walleyes to my little lake. I have a spring that feeds it in the middle and I have wetlands that feed into it with a decent current (as well as another spring-fed stream assisted with run-off) and figure not being ideal conditions for spawning that the walleye will probably be able to breed but not with a high success rate which would help minimize them over-populating.
Any input or recommendations on this (and thank you again for all the help!! And photos!!)
Also, a question to the first point with the minnows not being able to support the pond over long-term. That is one of the reasons I am stocking it with LMB, YP, BC and especially BG so their spawning young can feed on each other.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The GSH are very much adapted to Wisconsin. Some feel they compete with BG and other panfish, so some people do not stock them. Its my personal opinion there is little competition and would stock them. If you do stock the walleye(WE), I would go with the lower number, say 100. The odds that they will naturally reproduce in your small lake are better than most but the survival of the YOY would be the real challenge. The LMB are very efficient at eating YOY WE. With the right cover you may get some natural reproduction and survival of YOY WE. Keep an eye on the reproduction. If they naturally reproduce with survival, you may not have to stock them annually. You may have to seine your pond or electroshock it to find out if they are successful though... Best of luck!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Again, thank you so much for all the information. I am going to print it and keep it for reference.
I tried to find the fish abbreviations but could not, so another dumb question: what is yoy (and thanks for the definition of WE). I am familiar with fish I am using but still unfamiliar with some of the others.
It sounds to me like the LMB will do a good job keeping my walleye numbers down?
My goal is to keep the numbers down (catch-and-release)unless they start populating or overtaking the lake. Also, how big can I expect the walleye to get? Now be optimistic as I want them all to be the biggest they can be:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bonvillian, lownums, Skywave
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 03:50 PM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 03:40 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 12:15 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....