Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144415 01/12/09 01:15 AM
K
kjm Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
So how do I make one or where do I buy one and how much does it cost?

OK- I know that they're illegal in public waters in Texas. Having worked for TPWD for a few years back when, I've seen them in the Game Warden's evidence bag. Still, for a private pond, it should be fine I suppose and for taking a census, it would be a useful tool.

I don't even know what they're called officially so I can't do a proper web search. Can anybody direct me to a source or at least give me a name?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
kjm, you sound like me when it comes to dangerous "doo-dads"!

For us, I think the proper search term to use is "instant death by electrocution device".

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
KJM

I was about to start this topic as well - we're in the same situation I think. I am facing the dilemma of either seining by myself or considering the alternatives...the only one of which I can think of is electrofishing doo dads.

I'd wager someone in the forum knows....

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
All previous opinions here on DIY electrofishing by in-the-know folks have been negative. Dangerous stuff to try and rig up yourself.

To quote ewest:
 Quote:
Boat mounted e-fishers should only be used by experienced operators - way to dangerous for others and the fish. Back pack e-fishers are for very limited use in small streams and waters and can be very dangerous.

One thread to review: ELECTROFISHING

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/12/09 11:46 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
KJM

What do you say? I'll build it and you can be the first one on the water to "test" it? I'll be recording events safely from shore.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
A few years ago TP&W had a "sting" operation on Lake Texoma.
Warden's from around the state, acting as everyday fishermen, hired a few suspected "outlaw" striped bass guides and arrested several lawbreakers.
Some exceeding limits, several selling fish to Asian markets, and one using a hand held shocking device.

The result of the investigation IIRC, that they were being made by employees of local "Telecom Corridor" and were quite effective shocking devises.

I'm clean - honest ...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
All previous opinions here on DIY electrofishing by in-the-know folks have been negative. Dangerous stuff to try and rig up yourself.

To quote ewest:
 Quote:
Boat mounted e-fishers should only be used by experienced operators - way to dangerous for others and the fish. Back pack e-fishers are for very limited use in small streams and waters and can be very dangerous.

TY Theo - this kinda sets me straight on my thought electrofishing would be a magical process. I'm still concerned with how I'm going to seine fish effectively - guess lowering the water levels and wading after them is going to be my best bet. Sigh.

One thread to review: ELECTROFISHING

K
kjm Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
In a small tank, why couldn't you put a "boom" in the water and stand on the edge?

It seems like a census using fishing data would be inaccurate as I fish for one species at a time. Rarely will a bluegill bite a spinnerbait, though sometimes bass take a worm nicely.

Seining would have worked prior to renovation, but the banks are now so steep that I don't think it would be practical or successful. I guess I have three years to think on it. Electrofishing seems to be the easy way.

BTW- I acknowleged that in public waters any device like this is very illegal to even have on the boat. This is for census techniques.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
KJM

Let me know how you do...I'm eager to hear from you as I have 2:1 slopes and seining will be a challenge for me also.

K
kjm Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Will post back, but because I don't have any real need for a couple years, I may resort to the old army phones...

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
One last note - I researched those backpack units and it looks VERY suspect - at best - in terms of safety for the user. Wading in the water one is sampling gets even my attention. No thanks - I'll just get a snorkel and float around for samplings. Still not sure if there's anything but a seine that will work for fish collection.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
As long as you have waders on the backpack units are safe. It is also recommended to wear rubber gloves.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Hi Chris - thanks for the feedback - do you have much experience using them in field work for school? Do you find them as pretty useful tools for sampling in ponds or are they more suited for smaller bodies of water such as streams or creeks?

I would love to use one to assist collection efforts and also for sampling...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

TJ

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 01/13/09 08:51 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
We use in them in streams that are wadeable. You can't go deeper than your waist or you will get the battery wet.

I don't think they would work very good in ponds because there would be much area that you could sample. If you had a bunch of heavy shoreline cover where the fish can hide they may work ok.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Thanks Chris - I think I might try to devise some sort of a fish corral in my reproduction ponds and utilize the tool in that manner. Someone has to have better ideas than I do to acheive this...using fish gates or something.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
You might try setting up a nearly-fenced-in shallow area to feed in for a while, with edge nets ready to pull to shore and trap fish in until the can be removed by seining/netting. I think ewest has posted a diagram of this kind of setup.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Good idea Theo - that's what I rudely had constructed in my mind. My obvious problem is my ponds I've chosen for reproduction are NOT conducive to seining - just wanted something more aesthetically appealing and knew I'd have to deal with issue of fish collection later. Pretty - but not practical.

I like the idea of a fish corral and either netting or electrofishing them at that time. I will look for Ewest's diagram - thank you!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
TJ -- what is your water quality? Is it highly mineralized like Dr. Bruce's? If so, electrofishing is impaired when conductivity/mineral content is high. That's especially true with the backpack units that don't have as strong a field as the boat units.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Hello Dave - great to hear from you!

Yes mineral content is also high - I'm within 10 miles of Bruce. That's something I NEVER would have considered, so thanks for the enlightenment.

The impetus for this came after dragging seines overweighted with filamentous algae and convinced I was having a stroke I began thinking, "TJ - there HAS to be an easier way to collect fish..." I thought by reducing depth of pond from 9 to 2' and corraling fish into a corner of the pond and repeatedly "shocking it" I could not only make collection something I could do solo but would also save a ton of inefficient effort dragging seines thru FA and missing over half of them every time.

I'm fully prepared to admit that sometimes there exist no shortcuts or ways to improve efficiency and am a glutton for arse busting work. HOWEVER - I am ALSO prepared to buy several cases of beer and Green Egg a tenderloin and see if I can convince Bruce, Treeplanter and Shorty to come and "supervise" the seining!

What do you think of the electrofishing corral concept? Asinine?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This thread has one of the most classic subject titles ever. \:D \:D \:D

Electroshocker doo-dad...

Kinda like if a president said, "Where's the start button for those nuclear thingies?"

\:D

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
TJ -- do you have some way to get a conductivity reading from you pond? I think that's has the potential to limit your success. Dr. Bruce, how do you get water quality measures?

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cody!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We used to have some simple "pens" that would give a reasonable measure of conductivity. TJ, if you are interested, send me a PM or email. I can find one for you to borrow.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Dr. Willis,

If I recall correctly, Bruce's water quality lab report stated that his conductivity was 7,000 uS!!! While I was on-site, I had some of his pond water splash on my glasses. I used my cotton t-shirt to wipe them clean and the salts in the water scrathed my lenses. I think of Bruce everytime I put on my sunglasses!!

I had a little 3000 watt generator, but the water was too "amp" hungry. It kept tripping my generator. I needed at least a 5000 watt unit (but a 7-9000 watt system would be ideal) with small diameter annodes.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well, Shawn, if TJ has the same high conductivity water as Bruce, the electrofishing will be out! \:\) Even with our 5,000 watt generator, I really can't get a decent electrofishing field above about 2500 uS/cm, or maybe 3,000 (and that's after dark when the fish are least aware). We used to have a 7,500 watt gas generator, but honestly, it didn't do much better than the 5,000. Like you, we had very little surface area exposed on the positive electrode.

7,000 conductivity would float frogs, wouldn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build