Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver, Dux96, cgmbny
18,523 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,001
Posts558,382
Members18,524
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,593
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
13 members (Don Kennedy, Stressless, Brian from Texas, BamaBass9, phinfan, Rick O, Boondoggle, esshup, SHORTCREEK, rjackson, Sunil, Pat Williamson, Shorthose), 968 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141818 12/17/08 11:44 AM
the janitor
Lunker
OP Offline
the janitor
Lunker
We are in a very shallow cove with little wind and wave action. There’s also a lot of vegetation that calms the water and prevents erosion.

I’ve made a few calls about retaining walls and got a few estimates on a vinyl retaining wall. Do we need that type of wall?

The lake usually doesn’t fluctuate over a foot or so throughout the year. I was wondering if we could use these fitted stones sold at Home Depot. They have a lip on the back that overlaps the stone below and uses the pressure of the soil behind the stones to keep them in place.

Are these stones a possible solution? Do y’all have any suggestions?

The wall doesn't have to be over about 2 feet high and will span about 250' of shoreline.

Lunker
Lunker
Those should work, we used Versa-lok blocks and pinned the blocks down with rebar. We also dug a trench when the water was low and put pea gravel down to set the blocks on. You should be far enough south that you don't have to worry about ice moving the blocks.

the janitor
Lunker
OP Offline
the janitor
Lunker
I was considering rebar to anchor the bottom row. Ice shouldn't be a problem.

What about some type of concrete foundation? Necessary or not?

On the rebar, I was thinking about 4 or so foot pieces with one drove down in front of every base stone - maybe 2 in front of every base stone is better.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
The problem you might have with retaining wall block is the footing under them. Normally you set the first row on a layer of rock or road base. The thickness should be at least four inches, but if you are going more then four feet, then the base should be deeper. Four feet is sort of a magic number for blocks and when you need to engineer the soil behind the block.

The other problem would be with keeping material behind them. I'd wonder what you could use that wouldn't wash away or erode over time? Gravel is the only thing that comes to mind, but I don't know how it will work with the soil behind it.

Has anybody else done this in your area? It might be worth your time to go for a boat ride and see what's been used. Maybe go visit those people and get some first hand information from them on whether it works or if they'd do it again.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
JP, Eddie is right. A retaining wall is a structure. It must sit on a foundation that has some strength. Wet soils, with weight on top, will shift. Also, if a retaining wall is tied well back into the shore with some type of anchor, it stands a better chance to stay put laterally. I've seen lots of retaining walls. Each one that didn't have a good footing AND was anchored into solid soils behind it, shifted. Every one.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I once built a real dandy out of railroad ties. I tied it every 10 ft back into the soil (dead man). I understand that it is still there 25+ years later. When I finished, I swore to never do it again. However, J. P., I think you ought to do one. I'll bring a lawn chair and give advice. You buy the beer.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Your best bet is to sketch out what you want and send it to the manufacturer...or maybe a couple different manufacturers. There are many types on the market, some better than others and there are lots of design considerations but they all require a solid footing and possibly multiple courses below grade. Drainage behind the wall is also very important since hydraulic pressure is a retaining walls worst enemy next to a poor foundation.

Personally, I think the flat face style looks much more professional than the castle wall style pictured above.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Does anyone have any experience with retaining walls around trees on the shore line???? New 6ac lake with old 50 year old trees around shore line that the water is up around and need to keep water off from trucks. thank you

Thomas Holliday
tholliday@gmail.com
615-479-0337 cell
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: tholliday
Does anyone have any experience with retaining walls around trees on the shore line???? New 6ac lake with old 50 year old trees around shore line that the water is up around and need to keep water off from trucks. thank you

Welcome to the forum.

You have trucks in your pond?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tom, trees with constantly wet roots seldom have a long life span.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Dave is right. I've seen lots of hardwood trees with their feet wet. They die. It isn't enough just to keep water off their trunks. You must keep water away from the drip line.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gehajake, George Moss, helpmypond
Recent Posts
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 08:35 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:32 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:25 AM
Very sandy soil
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:17 AM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Pat Williamson - 05/10/24 08:13 AM
Iris vs Pickerel