Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#133975 09/29/08 01:34 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
George,

You may have answered this question in the past, but I am going to plead ignorance in advance, and ask it again.

I would like to give fly fishing for Bluegill a try. I am willing to invest the time to learn and practice the casting techniques. I am also willing to buy some reasonably priced fly fishing gear to get started. What do you recommend?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dwight, I’ll ask Nate to chime in on this because he won a Temple Fork Outfitters combo 5-6 wt combo set at the PB Conference silent auction, and ask him his opinion.
Maybe JWHAP will also chime in for fly gear and instructional flycasting DVD.

If I was just starting out, that is what I would I would purchase.
9 ft, 4 piece 5-6 wt fly rod - lifetime no-fault guaarantee.
Reel with backing, fly line and leader with travel case.
Tie on a Cabelas of BPS “bream bug” or popper and go fish.

I recommend the 5-6 instead of 4-5 wt for versatility.

Under $200.00 if IRC …. Good value IMO

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/outfits/nxt.html

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Justin won the set up from the show, because I purchased that same set up a couple weeks before the show and absolutely loved it! I called up temple fork and they directed me to burfish.com They shipped that set up out to me ASAP and were great to deal with. I ordered on friday and had the setup to me on monday (I gave them a few extra bucks, cause I was heading to the trout pond monday evening)

We both love those set ups!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm no where near george on the flyfishing stuff, but I just wonder if a 6-7 weight gives more options. You're going to end up landing more than just bluegill on it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
a 5 wt is the universal rod. i like a three weight for bg.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Sunil is right. You don't want to lose that 10 lb. bass because you went with a light setup.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ultimately you will have more fun starting out with the 5-6 w rod. Just get started and then start buying additional items to fuel your addiction.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Sunil is right. You don't want to lose that 10 lb. bass because you went with a light setup.
Dwight will need the Mini-Mag for his 10 pounder...
Watch out Cecil..!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
BTW, the mini-mag TFW rod for ponds is not listed as a model on the burfish website, or at least wasn't listed back in August.

I called Brandon at TFO(sp?) and he was very helpful. I was getting one as a gift for my brother, but didn't get the order off in time before his birthday; so I just didn't get him anything. I do intend to get one though.

I checked my flyrod and it's 6-7. Whenever I check a 4-5 or 5-6, they just seem too flimsy for me.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
not to detract at all from the quality i'm sure the TFO rigs have, you can go cheaper and still get a great pond rod...i bought the wife one of those 5wt Cabela's combo kits w/ reel, rod and reel case and of course instructional DVD for 99.99 or whatever it was. my philosophy (and that of my wallet) is to thrash around a cheaper rig while learning.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I also got the Cabela's sweet water combo, and it has served me well, but I never became a fanatic.

The TFO rod is not that expensive, of course you do have to outfit it with the reel, line, backing, and such.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that was it....the sweet water combo.

it came w/ line and backing.

GSF are people too!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
The TFO combo has rod, reel, line, leader, and travel case...
Plus a lifetime no-fault guarantee.
Go ahead and thrash around and bust it - they will replace a tip or whole rod for $25.00 handling and shipping.

Buy quality - cry once....
Buy cheap - cry twice.... ...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Your advice is sage, george1.

If I end up getting one for my brother, I'll have to check it out first, and then my brother might not get it!

If the price I remember in my head was the combo, then it is extremely reasonable.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: george1
Maybe JWHAP will also chime in for fly gear and instructional flycasting DVD.

We, both JHAP and I, got the Indian Point Fly Fishing Outfit at Bass Pro Shop. Nice starter setup with a 5 piece 8'6" rod, reel with 5# line and carry case for about $90.

We also got the "Lessons with Lefty" DVD. It covers all of the basic "how-to's".

What helped me the most though, was the lessons from George and Brandon at the Pond Boss conference. I think I had been trying to "throw the line" as I always seemed to end up with a puddle of line at my feet.

It is so much fun when you actually get the fly to go where you want to be!! I like fly fishing sooo much!! -- Thanks again George and Brandon --

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: george1
The TFO combo has rod, reel, line, leader, and travel case...
Plus a lifetime no-fault guarantee.
Go ahead and thrash around and bust it - they will replace a tip or whole rod for $25.00 handling and shipping.

Buy quality - cry once....
Buy cheap - cry twice.... ...

My Christmas gift?!?! JHAP, you watching this thread?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I checked my flyrod and it's 6-7. Whenever I check a 4-5 or 5-6, they just seem too flimsy for me.

Having only one fly rod is like having only one golf club – ‘ya want a driver or a putter?
Sunil if you are a 6 wt guy, check out the TFO Axiom ….. it’s the sweetest 6 wt ever and I own three 6 wts …. I know – I’m a nut...

Also a 5wt, and a Mini-Mag, plus a 9, 10, and 12 wt striper and salt water rods, all custom made on Sage RPLX blanks.
Made all my rods before TFO came along with high quality, affordable fly rods…

Like I say- I’m a nut...

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i hear you george. you get what you pay for. i forgot the originator of the question here too (dwight). but for us non nuts \:\) or those less obsessed w/ over engineering (not a slam dwight, but quite the compliment), or those that want to simply try the art of fly fishing without it causing a short payment on the mortgage, a "cheap" cabelas or BPS fly rod fits the bill and the wallet. i was surprised at the quality of the cabelas rod i bought for DWIED, and i realize my bar aint all that high.

if you cant drive a pinto, you cant drive a caddy.

trying to cover you here JHAP \:D

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
In my case, and probably others, since my grandkids broke my 1st cheap outfit, I will go with a 4 or 5 wt. My reasoning is this: if it is for your pond, as with mine, BG are almost getting to sampling size, LMB fingerlings in Aug, HSB fingerlings in Sept. Use it for a few months, then progress to a stronger one(I need something that will hold up to whatever nails my $gill pseudo fly when I tie it on. Is that a good reason to have more than 1 size flykit?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I was using my TFO rod at LL2 and just landed a 4 lb catfish. Steelman landed his big ole catfish at the same time and we were going to take a pic together (showcasing our flyrods and catfish) when my catfish went crazy, snapped his tail and broke the tip off of my new rod.

I sent the rod and $25 to TFO and they replaced it with no questions asked.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
In my case, and probably others, since my grandkids broke my 1st cheap outfit, I will go with a 4 or 5 wt. My reasoning is this: if it is for your pond, as with mine, BG are almost getting to sampling size, LMB fingerlings in Aug, HSB fingerlings in Sept. Use it for a few months, then progress to a stronger one(I need something that will hold up to whatever nails my $gill pseudo fly when I tie it on. Is that a good reason to have more than 1 size flykit?

Selection of fly rods and line sizes is very subjective, and dependant upon the experience factor of the angler.
A 5-wt fly rod is the “standard” as someone mentioned, for the beginner or the expert.
The beginner WallyWorld or Cabelas combo is a slow to moderate action whereas the advanced caster would likely choose a medium fast action.
That is likely the reason Sunil feels 5 wt to be “squishy”.

Fly lines become even more subjective, and are based on the weight in grains of the “belly” or first 30 feet of the fly line – gets more complicated when interjecting double taper lines vs. weight forward lines.
I believe a 5-6 rod to be a 5 wt with a 6 wt line – Sunil’s choice of a 6-7 wt is because he is an intermediate or advanced fly caster and a 6 wt loads easier with the 7 wt line.

Many “bream” fishermen prefer 2-4 wt rods but they wouldn’t last long in our LMB and HSB Ponds.

This confusion is causing forward thinking manufacturers to grade their fly rods in “range of grains”, and the reason for the popularity of “combo” rigs for the beginner or advanced fly fisherman..

BassPro, Cabelas, and others area are solving this problem by putting together their own combo sets as TFO is doing, which are also available at the big box stores for the beginner as well a advance fly fishermen.
Probably more info than you wanted to know… IMHO – FWIW ...

Dwight, you still with us? ...

Last edited by george1; 09/30/08 07:04 AM. Reason: Dwight?

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
George,

Yes I am soaking it all in. I am in the middle of month end processing business-wise, so I may be a little silent for the next couple days.

Bremer Pond Weather
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK, so more info since I know you are an "all tackle" guy.
You, Shorty and DD1 could open a tackle shop.

Fly tackle is less confusing to a beginner than conventional gear.
Think how confusing closed face spinning reels, open face spinning reels and rods that run from 5 ft ultra-lite to 8ft pitchin' sticks and lure weights from 1/32 - 1/8, 1/4 - 3/8, 3/8 -5/8...etc...etc, with medium, medium fast and fast action rods.

Line sizes from sewing machine thread to rope size with nylon mono, fluorocarbon, gsp.... etc.

It's easier to teach someone to fly cast than to cast a level wind reel.
Confusing to the beginner huh?

First thing to remember in fly-casting - you are not casting a fly/lure/plug.... you are casting the fly line and the fly goes along for the ride. The 30 ft. belly determines the weight classification.

Fly rods are rated by grains instead of ounces -
For example a five weight fly line 30 ft belly weighs 140 grains, a six weight 160 grains, 8 wt belly 210 grains… etc....

The advantage of this type fishing tackle is that you can leave a fly "in the strike zone" longer than with a lure or jig, and pick up and lay the fly on the nose of a rising fish without having to reel in and re-cast.....

I be gone now....

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
George,

I am getting really interested now! I will report in later. Thanks.

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
It looks like this thread has become member of my bookmarks. Thanks for the info George.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...