Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas
18,511 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,984
Posts558,189
Members18,512
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
13 members (JKK, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, geauxbrown, bmo, papereater, DPSMESA, nvcdl, Jambi, Boondoggle, Brian from Texas, oldgeekinnc), 1,180 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here!

I recently acquried about 7 acres of land. Here is the topo of it.

I plan on puting in a 1 acre pond in the NW corner of my property. Through the property is a creek called dry creek. However it is usually wet seeing how it is at water level at the bottom of the creek.

I plan on making the pond like this.

Does my topo seem sufficient?

Any other advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 09/05/08 01:29 PM. Reason: "Direct" Imageshack URLs inserted for viewing purposes.
Lunker
Lunker
Greetings and welcome to the forum, Nate from Nebraska.

I am truly lousy at reading topo maps (more at home with Topo Gigio), but it looks like there is less than 10 feet of elevation drop across the prospective pond basin (?). If I'm correct, the pond may need to be a mix of impounded and excavated (I have a pond like that).

One potential problem I see is that the water would back up pretty close to the property line (I have a pond like that, too). You will want to ensure that the water level rise when the pond goes up to the emergency spillway doesn't cause your neighbor's property to get wet regularly.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey, Nate.

I'm from Nebraska, too.

PM me sometime and let me know what part of the state you're in.

Bruce

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Theo, I am doubting I will causs any issues with flooding because I will create a spillway into the creek, but I think that if the pond fills up that much its due to a flood and the creek will have spilled its banks anyhow. The area is in a floodzone (obviously, due to proximity to creek).

I am looking at taking the pond dirt and raising up some land for the house to be on and then I'll fill out a LOMA with FEMA that will hopefully take it out of the flood plain.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Nate
Good to have you on board.
Using the dirt out of the pond to build up the surrounding area is a great idea. Using up the dirt from a pond is can be a problem. Keep us posted.
otto

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Quote "I'll fill out a LOMA with FEMA that will hopefully take it out of the flood plain."

I did that when we dug our first pond. I hired my original land surveyor to do it. He gave me a very cheap rate. I talked to him a few years latter about doing the same thing on another piece of property and he told me that it would cost the heck out of me for him to do it again. He had apparently never went thru the process before he had done mine and it was a royal pain in the Behind dealing with FEMA. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by rockytopper; 09/08/08 08:38 AM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
We plan on breaking groud very shortly! Here is a current picture at this point. The pond will be in the background behind the house. Unfortunatly, due to money constraints at this point, the pond will not be as big as I like and will only be about .2 acres. The dirt will be used to make a gradual slope away from the house, which sits up 3ft, from the main ground level.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Be sure the pond embankments are high enough to be above the 100 yr flood levels. It is a pain to deal with the problems from a creek overflowing into the pond. A little prevention at this point may save future headaches. Although a small 0.2 acre pond can be drained and or renovated at minimal cost.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Instead of putting embankments around the pond, we are putting an embankment on the creek, which will prevent it from spilling onto my whole property, so hopefull that entire mess can be avoided

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
You do not appear to be taking any short cuts on the house,
-BOMB SHELTER

N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Yeah lol, it has a deck (the main floor) on it now and will have roof trusses installed by year end....Its amazing how fast houses go up when your General Contractor knows his stuff!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Send pictures ehen you get them

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I did something similar, built a house in a 100 year floodplain and used the pond spoils to raise my house and barn. I had to hire a surveyor to make sure I was above the flood plain, and that same surveyor sent the paperwork to FEMA so I could get a LOMA and get out of paying flood insurance.

In addition to whatever your surveyor charges, FEMA charges $425 for "processing the paperwork" and gets back to you within a month or so. Also you have to have someone in your local government sign a form stating they are aware and approve of the changes you have made.

Other than the bull&^%# $425 fee (I thought thats what taxes are for) it wasnt too bad

N
Nate Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Well, our pond is dugg and here are some pictures of the house at this point as well. For all my pictures (mostly of the house construction), you can visit my flickr page: My Flickr

Its not a huge pond, but it around .25 acres (best guess). We basically made a deal to use as much dirt as possible to fill around the house and not a size agreement.

The pond is 12ft deep at its lowest point.

Here is the view from the back facing to the houses backyard.

And just for fun, here is the house at this point since you all saw the basement earlier.

Last edited by Nate; 03/31/09 11:20 AM.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Very nice looking house, and I'm sure the pond will be lots of fun at .2 acres. AaronM's pond is a similar size I believe and he has some monster bluegill and some very nice smallmouth too.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It is hard to tell how much water drains in to the pond.
Have you had any rain to see how fast it will fill.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Lemonade Water
by geauxbrown - 05/03/24 03:26 PM
What made this noise?
by shooterlurespond - 05/03/24 02:02 PM
Drain it to clear it?
by Boondoggle - 05/03/24 01:53 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/03/24 01:00 PM