Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
"Hey honey you know that 4 pound bass you just caught and released?"

I said "Yea?"

Then she said....

"You own that bass."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What a greatfish/story.Thanks for sharing.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Greg, you are right! Tagging that fish would be the best option. I have never gotten into tagging fish, but think it is time to start. Can you please send me and Jeff tagging guns? Send me the invoice.
How long will the tags stay on the fish?

Jeff,
We are going to start tagging fish!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=2239&Number=24354#Post24354

This is a tagging thread, but any new info Greg or others would like to add is always interesting =D

Get out and fish.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Great story and what a FABULOUS FISH!!!

CONGRATS!

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Nice read, I enjoyed catching him/her almost as much as you did.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Jeffie, Great fish and story. Just think how many more will be there for you to catch when you and Ricki get moved up. By the way are sure Ricki didn't catch it and just let you hold it for the picture?

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Jeff, We are going to start tagging fish!

Sir yes Sir!

Oh and by the way I did read your "dumb GSF genes" comment in George's thread and was prepared to send out a GSA "Discipline Team" however after continued reading I saw that George set you straight and informed you that is was the stupid BG genes that caused the problem. Mind your P's and Q's young man.

Heybud, this was MY fish, mine, mine, mine, mine. Ricki does have a fish story of her own however if she ever gets around to posting it. If not she'll force my hand and I'll post it. Hear that JWHAP????? (I think she knows by now that it is better to put forth the facts and circumstances of your own experiences rather than have JHAP post his version of the story complete with, how shall I put this, creative license - yea thats the ticket.

Thanks guys for the great comments. I'm still smiling from catching that fish. Gotta frame a photo of it!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Nice fish Jeff!

My pond record is about 1 LB., and my lifetime record is 5 LB, so I'm impressed!

Congratulations on wrangling that fish on such light tackle!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Heybud, this was MY fish, mine, mine, mine, mine. Ricki does have a fish story of her own however if she ever gets around to posting it. If not she'll force my hand and I'll post it. Hear that JWHAP?????

OK. Here is my fish story.

The morning after Jeff's big catch, we got out the fly fishing gear. I wanted to try out some of what I had learned in Texas. I mainly wanted to practice casting to see if I could manage to get the fly beyond my pre-conference cast of 2-3 feet without creating a puddle of line or losing an eye. George had convinced me that I COULD fly fish. I was focusing on my cast and admiring how I could now get the fly out about 15 feet or so when it happened. I had somehow managed to attract a fish!! When he first hit, I'm not sure who was more surprised -- Jeff, me or the fish?!? Although it was not nearly the size of Jeff's big bass, the excitement was the same. This is the first time either of us had caught a fish on our pond using the fly fishing gear. It was a nice little bluegill. Jeff made me touch the fish to take a picture -- a BIG deal for me. So, here it is:

I also wanted to send out a special thank you to a few people who helped make this one of the most memorable visits to our Ranch that we've had so far.

George, Thank You for helping me to get the confidence to try fly fishing. You are right, it IS a lot of fun and anyone can do it.

Bill Cody, I was very reluctant to want to swim in the Pond since previous dips have left me covered in red bumps and itching for weeks. I did as you said, dry off vigorously with a towel instead of air drying. I'm happy to report that I do not have any itchy red bumps.

DIED and his wife Jean, You guys are great. Every time we get together we have a blast. I love that you get Jeff to eat his veggies. You have succeeded where even his own Mother has given up!!

Bruce, Jeff got me to touch that fish by reminding me that I had held a copper nosed bluegill in Texas. You did not know this but when you told me to hold the afore mentioned fish that I had caught at Bob's, it was the first time I had EVER held a fish.

And a big thank you to all of our Pond Boss Family. We have gotten so much advise here that has helped us to improve our Pond. This is without a doubt one of the best places on the internet!!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Congratulations Rikki .......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told 'ya that fly fishing is the funnest way to catch a fish didn't I?
Next trip you'll be giving Jeff lessons....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
now that's a cute picture.....and a great story..... bruce, you were the first, just so you know....

JWHAP, i hope you and JHAP wore yer sunscreen \:\)

talk about getting slapped around.....you shoulda seen my rear quarters after JWHAP found out i didnt use sunscreen on saturday....thank God i made JHAP put some on before we went fishin ;\)

o.k., one more time JHAP, is that a male or a female BG?

GSF are people too!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Nice fish Jeff! A four pounder is a really nice fish.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Lunker
Lunker
Congrats little buddy!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Adulation from the Skipper...now I'm jealous!
-
good fish

Lunker
Lunker
Lighten up Professor

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: DIED
o.k., one more time JHAP, is that a male or a female BG

Well since I'm too far away to be slapped and I doubt you will remember this next month, I'm gonna say male. It's hard to tell from the photo but there was black scale tipping and the ear flap looks more pronounced to me. Of course since it's in my pond and since we are in California it could just be a butch female.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted By: JWHAP
Bruce, Jeff got me to touch that fish by reminding me that I had held a copper nosed bluegill in Texas. You did not know this but when you told me to hold the afore mentioned fish that I had caught at Bob's, it was the first time I had EVER held a fish.

Well that's a VERY condensed version of that portion of your fish story. I seem to remember the actual conversation went something more like this:

JWHAP: Honey, I caught a fish on my fly rod!

JHAP: Hang on let me grab the camera. Ok now hold the fish so I can take a picture of the first bluegill caught on a flyrod at our pond.

JWHAP: I'm not touching that slimy, smelly fish, you know I hate touching fish.

JHAP: Now wait a darn minute, I seem to recall you holding a fish for Bruce when we were in Texas just so that he could get a photo of you with the fish!

JWHAP: That was different, he just handed me the fish and I told me "let me get a photo of this" besides he seemed to have some sort of aura or vibe that I just couldn't resist.

JHAP: D'OH! Dang Bruce and his vibe. With his boyish good looks and his fishing ability I'll bet he ends up on the cover of a magazine one day. No one can resist his vibe, no one.

JHAP: Now hold the dang fish Ricki so I can take the photo.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I dont know why I havent followed this thread. This is a great pond LMB. Good reasons to use the 6 lb. line. I went from 4 to 6 because of too many tangles, and, well, just in case.

Congrats folks!

Lunker
Lunker
JHAP: D'OH! Dang Bruce and his vibe. With his boyish good looks and his fishing ability I'll bet he ends up on the cover of a magazine one day. No one can resist his vibe, no one.

Ain't it the truth. Just one look at that picture, and I get the urge to write show tunes.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Great first fly rod fish Ricki. I'm really jealous cause I didn't get to stay for the fly fishing lessons and I want to try it really bad. Maybe George can do an instructional video for us gooberheads who can't hardly tie our shoes.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...velcro

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Great first fly rod fish Ricki. I'm really jealous cause I didn't get to stay for the fly fishing lessons and I want to try it really bad. Maybe George can do an instructional video for us gooberheads who can't hardly tie our shoes.

That is a great fish ain't it Larry! George recommended and we bought and have been using a great instructional fly fishing DVD called "Lessons with Lefty." It is very well done and quite instructional. George and Brandon Powers really helped us fine tune our casts - although I gotta tell ya it is MUCH easier casting in a convention hall with no wind, no trees or other obstacles just waiting to grab your line than it is casting in the out of doors real life situations. Still my cast has much improved. I'm happy to report that I can now sail a fly out there pretty good. Course I can't catch any dern fish fly fishing on our pond, fortunately JWHAP is good at that part. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Jeff whats the deal? what have you not caught a new one? Maybe personal best with a fly rod or something? I have been waiting a year to see what happens.

I thought I would bring this up as motivation.

Get out and fish.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, thanks for bringing back some great memories. Unfortunately we have not been back to our property since November of last year so nothing new to report. We will probably be heading up there after June 15th for a week or so hopefully then we'll catch something to report.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I'll bet that baby is close to six pounds by now, after gorging itself on GSF for nearly a year!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...