Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 803 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#938 08/06/05 11:25 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
BD,

Just curious, why did you get the thumbs down??

Russ

#939 08/07/05 10:54 PM
B
BD Offline
B
Russ it could be done for sure, but (and this is where everyone who's been there before will agree) it would cost to much.

The land was in a pretty high elevation and had big rocks on the property SHOWING....this means underneath there will be more than likely HUGE boulders to tackle.

If I could get them removed you might still have the problem of cracking one and it could break the dam, and also without the soil tech (NRCS) drilling holes, you're guessing about the soil make-up.

Yes I could build it, line it, and mess with the boulders but it would break the bank I bet. That particular property also had alot of ridges in it, so where to dam, IF it could be damed properly etc, also weighed the decision to look elsewhere.

Since I am replying I found another location that seems to be alot better. There are bigger houses around the 2 lots available, and I know what the would be neighbors do (profession wise), and they all have .25 acre ponds as it is now. My only confusion(s) is A) how big exactly is 354'x 660'?

I would like to see like an aerial view of something 5 acres compared to something. Each lot out there is 5+ acres, and I think I got an idea since there was another property that was 10 acres and had a fence on it. The lots (1 on the east side of the street and another one across the street w.) There is a doctor on the corner of the N street and where I think the east lot would back up to. Well the doctor built a pond on the SIDE of his property and not behind it, so I think his pond would either cross part of this lot, or if nothing else, hinder where I could put my pond. There is a little creek bed running on this east lot, so understandably this is more than likely why he put the pond there on his side.

If I could "see" how far 660' went back from something, I think it would help me "see" where behind my would-be house, I could put my pond. The idea of being close side by side ponds, doesn't suit me very well, plus the creek is more than likely where he gets most of his water to fill his little pond.

Now the ironic thing is, my wife said 'just pick the west lot then' when we were out there looking at the ava. properties. Well the guy on the corner of this road also has a pond, and where is it??....on his RIGHT side lol. So his pond is towards the other (across the street) lot for sale too.

My thinking is they could build my pond behind my housem but again I am not sure how far 660 goes back from a road. Is 660' FAR from the road? The dirt they would move to excavate the pond could level some other parts of that property to make it more level, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem, I just would hate to cut his pond off from water....but rain should hold a .25 acre pond right?

I am calling another NRCS guy (the 1st guy was for a different county) tomorrow morning, and have him walk the west and east properties to see what his 'vision' is/would be. The lot above the east one I am looking at has been sold, so again I am thinking I need to build behind the house.

It basically goes like this. Off the hwy you have one house on the right corner then the street to these lots and houses way up on the hill already there. Across from the corner house is another house (basically still right there at the turn in for the lots, but he's across the street.) Since both of these existing houses have side ponds and not behind the houses, it leaves me with either lot (across the streets) to cut both of these people off, or go behind each lot with the pond.

I hope my post makes sense. It would be alot easier to see if anyone is not following me. Also for those who are very smart at looking at topo's and aerials, I can post them too.

Thanks

#940 08/07/05 11:28 PM
B
BD Offline
B
Here is what I am talking about...it is in NO way to scale lol
The black is the hwy., the green are houses, and if need to be factual, there is another green house on the E side way above the X'ed property.

Legend:
Green-house
Blue-pond
Red-lots available
Brown-Fence
Yellow-road(s)

Maybe this will help my previous post.

#941 08/08/05 05:18 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
BD,

The first trip through the explanation was confusing (my disclaimer will be its a bit too early yet) but the pictorial cleared things up. To address you question of the 660' issue, here are some suggestions.

Is there a map of the subdivision which shows the layout of the lots? If so, you could use the scale on the map (in addition to the lots with existing ponds) to lay out the 660'. If no map, do you know the depth of the existing lots and are the corners marked? Third would be to get a tape measure and mark off 660'. Lastly, you could mark off 100'on the road, count the number of paces it takes you to walk the 100' and then pace the property.

Russ

#942 08/21/05 03:47 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I just wanted to chime-in about the NRCS... My local guy met me out at my property on Friday to take a look around. He was incredibly helpful and gave me some real good ideas on improving my lake as well as enhancing the property for other wildlife. On top of everything, he was just a really nice guy who obviously enjoys his work. Overall, a great experience. I'm looking forward to working with him and learning from him over the coming years!

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
#943 08/21/05 06:32 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
660' is about the width of this web page! \:D

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
#944 08/21/05 07:50 PM
J
JBL Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
Not sure how it works elsewhere but here when use cost share with NRCS you are bound to a 10 year lease of sorts. The pond dam,waterway,...etc must be built and maintained to the agreed upon terms.

#945 08/21/05 08:33 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mine was a 5 year "committment". The NRCS guy dropped around once a year and looked at things. No big deal.

The main thing was that, if I sold in less than 5 years, I had to pay back the $ they spent.

Interesting thing about the NRCS. Danny Russell of the Montague County, Texas NRCS was scheduled to come to the D/FW PB meeting but couldn't make it. He sent word with Mike Otto that the NRCS is de-emphasing their pond building assistance and the cost sharing. Thats a shame. Some of them are really helpful.

#946 09/01/05 11:17 PM
O
O
Has anyone dealt with the NRCS office/staff near Oklahoma City? I'm planning a 1/2 acre pond and was given their number today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction