Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver, Dux96, cgmbny
18,523 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,004
Posts558,408
Members18,524
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Theo Gallus, Dave Davidson1, phinfan, FireIsHot, Boondoggle), 965 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
My land is at the headwaters of a large creek. My dam will be approximately 13,000 cubic yards/400 feet in length. I have been gathering info about Seebreeaze aluminum risers/piping versus onsite steel fabrication. Any feedback would be appreciated...

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Greetings and felicitations, Dr. David (Oh, my. Another Dave. Another DD. Oi!)

I have no idea personally, but welcome to the forum.

P.S. Your secret Delta Tau Omega "Too Many Daves" name is "Sunny Jim".

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Welcome Dr.Dave

I have never replaced aluminum pipe, but have two steel pipes being replaced this year, If the steel pipe needs to be thick so it will last.

Let us know about the cost.

Thanks for the post

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome, Dr. David!

I think that "Brettski" may be who you're looking for to comment on this thread. I know there are others who might know, but if nobody jumps in I might check on Brettski.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Howdy Doc,
It's not often that the moderators look to me for an answer, unless the question at hand refers to tasteless humor or walking on thin ice (ironic how closely related those 2 specialties are).
-
I believe Bruce refers to my background in steel. I regret, though, that after this post, my notable specialties will remain the original 2. I don't come with a definitive answer to your query.
Yes, I sell steel, but the technical metallurgy and chemistry background required to thoroughly analyze and quantitatively compare the 2 metal products you specify are not within my grasp. I will offer what I do know.
Carbon steel rusts (epiphany!) There are grades of carbon steel that are melted and produced with a small percentage of chrome, nickel, and copper. Corten , a US Steel product, is this type steel. It is used on building exteriors, bridges, and other exposed structures. No other protective coating is applied. Numerous buildings and structures in Chicago use corten steel on their exterior, without coating. The Daley Center is one of those (rusty patina; building on left ;\) )

-
Carbon based steel pipe of the size we speak of will be rolled and welded seam. I don't know if pipe like that would be available made from corten, or if the welded seam might ultimately be the weak link...? What I would suggest, though, is to seriously consider the more corrosion resistant products like aluminum or plastics...even galvanized. Like Otto noted above
 Quote:
I have never replaced aluminum pipe, but have two steel pipes being replaced this year

Another consideration for steel is the cost. This year has been tumultuous in the steel industry. Since January of this year, prices for carbon based steel products has escalated some 50 - 70%; incredible! I am unfamiliar with the non-ferrous markets (ie; aluminum), but current pricing of steel pipe may have already provided some of your answer as to which product to use.
-
Lusk is quick to remind all budding pondmeisters with the hankering to build a pond that the decisions they make today will affect at least 4 generations beyond. I keep this in mind for all my projects at the pond, right down to using construction methods on my docks that will allow easy replacement of worn and rotted structural members that will likely never even fail in my lifetime (I hope). Building the big hole in the ground got the same treatment. Always build it to last; don't pull up short.

D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thanks for the info. If you have the time, check out Seabreeze aluminum risers/pipes at: http://www.seabreeze-culvert.com/risers.htm and comment if you would.
Thanks in advance.
David

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Dr. David

The site looked pretty good, They will have anything you will need. At some time in the past seabreeze delivered pipe to a job.The land owner purchased the pipe, but there was no problems that can be remembered.

A consideration is always shipping.

You have done more homework than most people who post.

If you have a contractor that is helping you he should have some experience with pipe.
One thing for sure the aluminum will be a lot easier to handle.

A good question for seabreeze would be what is the life expectancy of the pipe? Really that should have been the first question. That answer will give us all the information we need.

If for some reason it is not very long then we need to look at a concrete spillway

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Here is a link to Contech Aluminum pipe. They claim "a predictable service life of more than 75 years".

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
75 years is a long time.
You can count on your GREAT GRANDKIDS having fun on your pond.

build it right and make it last.

OTTo

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/11/24 11:19 AM
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 10:15 AM
curly leaf infestation
by esshup - 05/11/24 09:30 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FireIsHot - 05/11/24 08:38 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Pat Williamson - 05/11/24 08:01 AM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
Very sandy soil
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/10/24 08:08 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13