Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
3 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond), 844 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
New Pond-East Texas in line with I-20-- 1/2 to 3/4 acre- added probably to many bream in the spring ( was trapping coppernose from a friend's pond), also added talapia in spring to control agae, purchased redears and fatheads. I have a bunch of babies as a result. Lots of coppernose, redear, fatheads, talapia.

Talapia will die out here when the water gets cold, but still have too many bream, I think for the pond size. So is it to late to add Bass. I am thinking of larger bass if I can find them-(8 to 10 inch). Given my location, I am thinking F1, But would Florida strain be better??? for a pond. I am adding the bass as a predator to control excess fish, this was to be a coppernose bream pond , with a few redear and bass to fill in the various nitches. I don't mind having to catch the bass though.

I know that I will just have to titrate the bass, and watch for correction. I had read a thread about adding larger bass in the fall , having let the fish hatchery raise in effect raise them for you.

any thoughts???--- Be nice.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Stock bass this fall. Probably still a little too warm for transport right now. Stock no more than 20, if you use larger fish, 8-10". Since you stocked larger sunfish, and are confident they have spawned, it's safe to stock larger bass (not larger than 12", though).

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the reply-Bob. I am certain that the bream have spawned several times, based on the various sizes that I originally trapped and what I am catching and trapping now. The original plan was to use two smaller ponds as nursery ponds to supply the 3rd pond that is larger and has more structure. Tree stumps, tops, tire reefs,shallow and deeper water,etc.
Could you be more specific on--add bass in the Fall--Sept.,Oct.,Nov., or water temperature.....I was hoping they could eat up some of the gazillion talapia that have spawned before they die off.....

With what I have researched I think that the F-1 bass would be best for my area. Would you agree?

If I can get 8-10 inch fish, they would spawn in the spring. At what size should I start to cull the new spawned bass. Leaving some to spawn and grow--I am thinking about 12 inches?????

Any other suggestions ??? Thanks

Lunker
Lunker
Add bass when water temps drop into the upper 70's, probably late September, early October. F1's will be great...if you can find them. Be specific when asking questions of your supplier. Enquiring minds want to know.
Regarding culling, the fish will tell you. Originally stocked fish should grow fast. Their babies will likely be the ones you will cull. Next spring, a percentage of bass you stock this spring will spawn. Then, next fall, you will begin catching young of the year. Recruitment essentially allows the population to replace fish, or to fill an unused niche. As your bass grow, watch their lengths, compared to weights. When your bass begin to show signs of weight loss, that's the signal to cull. You may want to read our book, "Raising Trophy Bass". It explains how to do it. Want "balanced" fishing? Harvest a balanced bounty. What you need to figure out is, "What is your bounty?"

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use