Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (gehajake, nvcdl, Tinylake), 1,371 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I am having a box of anderson golden shiner fish fry delivered to the airport in the morning at eight. I was told to try and release the fry into an area that is about two feet deep. I can do that part. Release the fry into an area that doesn't have a lot of predator activity. No can do. The bass in my pond are in the prespawn phase and are staging all around the shore in about two feet of water. Any ideas on how to keep all of the fry from being eaten by bass before they have a chance to grow up and spawn? I have some of the spawning matt material left that I bought or maybe try and put them in some brush. Any Ideas would be appreciated!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
With your predator situation, I would try and put them right into some kind of cover. I might even sink a few new christmas tress to give them some tight cover even if the trees were put in a few feet of water.

It's going to be brutality.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
Any chance for a blocking net, James?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I could go to the store and by one on the way to the farm after picking up the fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Could you get the net before you get the fish or will the store not be open?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Turn them loose in the middle of the lake. No predators in open water of your lake...except those pesky, cool hybrid stripers and they aren't the least bit interested in a fish smaller than the head of a pin.

Forget about the blocking net. These fish are so small they can swim through any net you might find in any store.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
JHAP, the next time i give you gams....PLEASE LISTEN TO MR. LUSK \:D

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I too am going to try out the shiner fry from anderson. please keep me informed on how your fish progress. delivery is the first of May for me.

One box is going into a wetland with no predators, the others are going into ponds with fish in them.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I wonder if you had enough shallow water if you could use stilt fence as a blocking net. I bought some the other day to fence off an area to keep waves off of transplanted vegetation, and it looked small enough it might work.

Lunker
Lunker
Guys, so you will know...when you get a box of fry (which I think is a cool new idea for fisheries management, by the way), each box you receive will have 250,000 fry that are measured volumetrically. They are slightly smaller than the head of a pin. When you look at the water, it looks cloudy. Unless you have a fence or net with a mesh size similar to ladies pantyhose, forget about a blocking net. Put them somewhere in your pond where they can live at least part of one day, have plenty of plankton to eat and their odds of survival to day two are good. Then, if they have enough to eat, they'll make day two. By the time they grow to 1/2 to 3/4", they are big enough to be eaten by bluegill and small bass...and that's what happens to them. It's still an extremely economical thing to do. I can't wait to track some of your ponds over the next few years to figure out the actual impact. It's an exciting "outside the box" idea (forgive the pun).

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If your going to have a minnow fry,wont the bones get stuck in your teeth?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
JHAP, the next time i give you gams....PLEASE LISTEN TO MR. LUSK \:D

Oh lordy, death, destruction, carnage, senseless murder, mayhem, unstoppable predation.

I'm....

I'm....

I'm having flashbacks.

Do not read this thread!

Shame, so much shame.

So let me get this straight, All I had to do was to wear a pair of ladies panty hose and set the little guys loose in deep water? I could have done that. Do they like the kind with the seam up the back? Color preference? Control top?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If they are that small, why not just release them anywhere?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
JHAP,does this mean your going tp come to the convention in bright pink,control top,seamed pantyhose and conduct a minnow release program? \:o
I think DIED would be forever gratefulfor the gambush if you did \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
JHAP,does this mean your going tp come to the convention in bright pink,control top,seamed pantyhose and conduct a minnow release program? \:o
I think DIED would be forever gratefulfor the gambush if you did \:D

If you are going to wear that let me know....I will have to change my outfit..... \:o

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: TOM G

Tom, don't be ridiculous.

Bob hasn't said what the color should be yet.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
"Gambush"
\:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
If you are going to wear that let me know....I will have to change my outfit..... \:o

Will do FMB. I'll have my people contact your people.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
Dave,
If you release them near shore, bugs eat them, so do small bluegill and three day old bass. Heck, one dragonfly nymph can eat two or three hundred in short order. Those semi-tiny predators don't live in deep water. They live near the shore. Keep in mind, these golden shiner fry are tiny, tiny. 250,000 may only weigh 8 pounds, total. But, if they can live as long as 45 days, they can grow to 6 pounds per 1,000...about the size of a regular crappie minnow.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for the info, Bob. I figured they were small, but I never guessed they'd be THAT small.

For the price, it sounds like an good way to spice things up.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bob, Being that they are that small. Would it be wise to put the fry in a holding tank (ie: water trough) grow them out for the 45 days than place them in your pond? I can see some new experiments coming!

Last edited by Tim Stuart; 04/18/08 10:10 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Tim, if you were to do something like that I think you would have to have pond water circulating through the tank(like cecil's perch hatching setup).

I think that it would be hard to maintain enough food in a closed system for the fry to survive to the point that they could eat pelleted food.

Lunker
Lunker
I wouldn't put them in a holding tank at all. They need food, lots of it. They will double their weight every few hours if they have lots of food for the first few days. In a confined area, they run out of food too fast. They will do much better in a pond. Remember this...when a baby fish is first hatched, the only nutrition they have is the yolk of their egg sac. Once that's absorbed, they have no body fat, so they must eat every few minutes or they will starve. That food is gleaned from the water. Baby shiners eat plankton and fine particles of food. They won't get that in a trough.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thank you Bob I did what you said to do which is different than what the guy from the minnow farm reccomended. He reccomended putting them all in two feet of water away from any predator activity. They were cool looking about the size of mosquito larvae with two bulging eyes trying to swim around. How can anyone know if this was successful? It seems to me that anyone that is just starting a new pond without predators should consider this idea.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
I have a new pond and that sounds like a great idea. Economical anyway if they live. What is the danger though of turning them lose in a new pond that may not have planktn for them to eat? We are expecting 80's temps this week. Hope that will help a plankton bloom maybe for fry to feed if I turned them lose in May?

"Just pondering."

Subscriber! No brainer...I already saved $11,343 dollars and 45 cents on all the free consulting advice on the web site forum!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build