Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,014
Posts558,525
Members18,531
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, Kendal), 1,066 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110066 03/02/08 11:38 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Although only as a last resort I now have my federal permit to take out up to two Great Blue Herons on the farm. My first choice is of course nonlethal methods, but there may be a bird or two this year that refuses to get the message. And I must say the thought of the VHS virus trasmitted to my fish by these birds really scares me. If my fish test postive for the virus, my live fish sales to BPS are over, and I may even have to drain the ponds and start over. It may be remote but there is always a chance.

O.K. here's the question:
Considering someone may see me from the highway take out a heron, and get all bent out of shape and contact local law enforcement, should I give my local C.O. a heads up? Indicate that although it is a last resort I do have a permit from the feds and would be glad to furnish a copy? Otherwise they may waste their time and mine, or worse yet come into my taxidermy shop with an attitude. A friend of mine in Michigan that is also a fish farmer says his C.O. did not even know there was such a permit.

On the other hand, my dad thinks I should keep my mouth shut and worry about that when the time comes as I will be perfectly legal. He doesn't trust law enforcement and says if they don't like the idea of me shooting these birds they could make my life miserable by poking around in my taxidermy studio looking for something they can gig me for.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/06/08 04:19 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My personal rules are simple.

1. Always take the high road and stay legal (which, of course, you already are doing).

2. Never draw attention to myself unneccesarily.

This way you never have to worry about getting into trouble, and law enforcement never has to think about you. They are already busy with plenty of more important things.

Just my .02

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
How did you go about obtaining the permit Cecil? If you do end up having to harvest one you should give some thought to mounting it if that wold also be legal. That would make an extremely unique mount paired with some fish?

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Let us know how they taste.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
SSS

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
What Bruce said, if what DD said isn't sufficient.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
mum, bang, smile

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Were it a concern of mine, I would create a blind or use existing cover to first, conceal my presence from the bird, hoping to ensure a clean kill and second to conceal that activity from the highway.

Letting local anyone, know anything, would probably be a bad idea, like dad says why wake them up. My experience is that anything new to someone requires a total explanation, which they have to research and tell a higher authority who then has to research, blah, blah.

You have the permit use it and as Bruce said follow the rules. The GBH is much like the coyote and Gloria Gaynor "I Will survive"

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Lunker
Lunker
On the other hand, my dad thinks I should keep my mouth shut and worry about that when the time comes as I will be perfectly legal. He doesn't trust law enforcement and says if they don't like the idea of me shooting these birds they could make my life miserable by poking around in my taxidermy studio looking for something they can gig me for.

Dad knows best!!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Would be fun to shoot at with a bow I imagine, either in flat or standing in the water. I've been in a duck blind and witnessed one taken out with a duck load. (it was not me btw, I'm not an outlaw), but to be honest to see a big bird like that fold up and drop from about 60 to 70 yards up is a neat site. Sort of like shooting a sandhill crane I imagine.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil,
Being a State Trooper I will give you some advice.
1. I would contact your local Police Dept. and give them a heads up. Some people that see a person with a gun jump to conclusions and call 911. Imagining they say a man chasing his wife in a field by a pond with a gun, turns out the wife was a bird or some other animal. Believe me it happens!
2. Contact your local Conservation Office and give them a heads up about the permit.
3. Keep a copy of the permit in a location you have easy access to if someone does come.

In regards to your local police they may still have to respond to your residence even with them knowing you have a permit. Most Police Depts have a policy in which they must respond to any call involving a gun.

Can you legally discharge a gun where your pond is located? Distance from road neighbors depending on state and local laws where you live. If so you shouldnt have any problems.

Dreaming of the pond!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dan141
How did you go about obtaining the permit Cecil? If you do end up having to harvest one you should give some thought to mounting it if that wold also be legal. That would make an extremely unique mount paired with some fish?

Dan,

It's a process of contacting the the U.S. Fish and Wildlife rep in my state first. Filling out a form for them to show I am doing everything nonlethal first, then after some questions they recommend a certain number of birds can be killed. From there that paperwork goes to the regional Fish & Wildlife Headquarters in Minnesota and along with a $100.00 permit fee is either approved or disapproved.

I doubt a pond owner that doesn't make his living off the fish in the ponds could get one.

As far as mounting the bird I don't have a lot of experience mounting birds (I specialize in fish) and this particular federally protected bird can only be mounted if it is donated to an educational institution. That requires even more paperwork and permits which I don't believe I want any part of. To mount it myself for the educational institution I would need another permit. Not even sure if technically I can hold the bird in one of my freezers until garbage pick up without another permit.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/03/08 11:18 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Keith Price
Let us know how they taste.

No thank you! Yuk!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rad
Were it a concern of mine, I would create a blind or use existing cover to first, conceal my presence from the bird, hoping to ensure a clean kill and second to conceal that activity from the highway.

Letting local anyone, know anything, would probably be a bad idea, like dad says why wake them up. My experience is that anything new to someone requires a total explanation, which they have to research and tell a higher authority who then has to research, blah, blah.

You have the permit use it and as Bruce said follow the rules. The GBH is much like the coyote and Gloria Gaynor "I Will survive"

Rad,

The conditions of the permit do not allow the use of a blind (at least not to lure the bird in). Additonally I have to use steel shot and only a shotgun.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/03/08 11:16 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thank you all for your comments!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil,

Brian's advice is spot on. One thing Police do not like is suprises. If they know in advance of your motives and legal status with the permit you posess, they will still respond if they are notified, but when the 911 call comes in as a "crazed man running around shooting a full auto AK-47", they should be able to respond without the full cavalry including the black helios without any numbers. (Always a bad thing when they show up)

As Brian says, it does happen. People report all kinds of events thinking that they have just witnessed the next major tragedy or terroist attack and the Police Dept. responds based on the information they have available to them.

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Hey Cecil, can you let me know when the extermination is gonna be, I am dying to see that "new" shotgun in action!

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: BrianShpock
Cecil,
Being a State Trooper I will give you some advice.
1. I would contact your local Police Dept. and give them a heads up. Some people that see a person with a gun jump to conclusions and call 911. Imagining they say a man chasing his wife in a field by a pond with a gun, turns out the wife was a bird or some other animal. Believe me it happens!
2. Contact your local Conservation Office and give them a heads up about the permit.
3. Keep a copy of the permit in a location you have easy access to if someone does come.

In regards to your local police they may still have to respond to your residence even with them knowing you have a permit. Most Police Depts have a policy in which they must respond to any call involving a gun.

Can you legally discharge a gun where your pond is located? Distance from road neighbors depending on state and local laws where you live. If so you shouldnt have any problems.

Good post. Thank you. It's always great to get information from somebody who's "in the know".

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pop rocks!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: 40 yr old virgin
Hey Cecil, can you let me know when the extermination is gonna be, I am dying to see that "new" shotgun in action!

Actually a 12 guage double barrel will the tool of course if it is indeed necessary. Might even fire both barrels at once to make sure the job is done quickly and efficently. As I kid I used to get a kick out of firing both barrels!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/03/08 10:42 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well I did it. Contacted the local division and asked that my local C.O. call me back. Didn't say why except it was a "heads up on something." He did call back, but unfortunately I was out walking the dog when he called and left a message. I'm sure he'll try again tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well I gave my C.O. the scoop. Said he appreciated the heads up. Didn't seem overly concerned about it. I think I made the right decision.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Cecil,thanks for keeping us posted.I kept my opinion to myself because I had mixed feelings.It seems you got a guy with the right attitude and therefor made a good choise.Im glad you didnt run into some jerk with his head up.....never mind glad it worked out.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
Cecil,thanks for keeping us posted.I kept my opinion to myself because I had mixed feelings.It seems you got a guy with the right attitude and therefor made a good choise.Im glad you didnt run into some jerk with his head up.....never mind glad it worked out.

Well I think I made the right decision. Only time will tell. I could get an inspection with a white glove in the future -- you never know. Fortunately I have all my ducks in a row and it wouldn't be a problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Spawn Identification
by Fishingadventure - 05/16/24 05:03 PM
BG sex?
by Theo Gallus - 05/16/24 05:02 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Bennettrand - 05/16/24 02:56 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by FishinRod - 05/16/24 02:25 PM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina