Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 455 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I'm looking to buy a remote control boat to play with at the pond. Lots to choose from on the web. Anyone have one or know of a decent one to recommend?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great minds think alike. I bought one on a clearance sale at Radio Shack. It's battery powered (I didn't want a gas powered one - though it might not be great for the fish). Unfortunately RS gave me the wrong battery charger so I can't charge the batteries.

I also tried a battery powered airplane - that didn't go so well - lets just say if I'm ever with you on a plane and both the pilot and co-pilot eat the tainted fish - keep me away from the controls, far, far, away.

If I was to purchase another one though I would get this one. It is a well recommend battery powered RC boat, has proportional steering and throttle and comes complete. Check out the video of it in action.

reef racer

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 02/26/08 08:45 PM.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
We know what you guys are up to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEUh7whhKJ8

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dang it DJT, you don't miss a thing. Ok I confess, I was seriously considering tying on a Rapalla XRap or a rooster tail.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I saw that but couldnt figure out how to post it.Do you think a 5-6lb CC would pull the boat under?Id like to try that with my grandkids.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I've wanted one of these since I built my pond.
http://rcdriver.com/articles/missbud1.shtml

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
26.4 mph on the water? That's hauling for that little bitty thing!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
OK, I've got to have one, maybe two RC boats. Two would be better as I would hate to see the grandkids stand and cry while I race.

I'd like to see some different models in the medium price range. I believe, based on experiences with model airplanes a few years ago, that I want electric rather than fuel powered.

Does anyone have experiences with these?

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
Lunker
Lunker
S

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
And I thought I had all of the toys that I needed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Look Dave...they fit in a 5 gallon bucket!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Hi Folks:

I've been a model airplane guy for decades but in the last couple of years I've gotten interested in RC boats. I enjoy having one to put around with at the pond.

The one I converted to "real RC" is like the one in this link to RC Groups Forums http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521512&highlight=atlantio

The radios included in these boats is super-cheap and allows only for full throw in one direction or another for direction, and motor control is very crude. By replacing the Radio with a better one, you can obtain a fun runner for a pretty decent price which works well.

I use mine in a sort of "modified sub-hunter" role. I take my Humminbird Wireless Fish Finder like this one http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Humminbi...er_406880_1.htm and tow it behind the boat.

When I see one of my Rainbows jump, I'll whip over there and set up a search pattern looking for the little devil. Now if I only had little RC depth charges, I could guarantee a freshly "caught" fish for supper.

My latest modification has been to add capability to tow the fish finder sending unit, locate the fish, drop a baited line off the boat, return to the shore and then wait for the fish to become interested. Good fun. In reality, its a solution looking for a problem, as my catch rates haven't been enhnaced by this neat toy.

Here's a link to a threade on using the "sonar" to find fish or model submarines.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737687&highlight=humminbird

Regards to all,
Lee Smith

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I have been looking on the web and at suggestions made here. Loads of them out there. Even remote controlled sailboats. I’m surprised at the price ranges too. The thing that concerns me is that the batteries only last 15-30 minutes depending on the model and how fast you drive the boat. I could see getting the kids together and playing around for a while only to have to wait a few hours to recharge the batteries. There are gas powered models but I’m not sure I want to mess with that. And the speed of some of these boats - can you imagine getting one going 25 MPH!! I’d have that thing crashed in no time.

The Reef Racer that Jeff pointed out looks like a good choice. Realtively inexpensive and easy to use. Looks similar to the Zig Zag Racer.

I like the youtube video. I think I'd try a buzzbait tied on the back....

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
O>K>,Im gonna go with Lee.Mini depth charges has me written all over it.
JHAP, bring plans for the GSA deathstar to the conference as there will be brainstorming on this one

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Rob:

The short battery run time problem is dead easy to solve. I have an extra 2 packs and start the session with all three charged. After that, I use a "field charger" that runs off 12 volts ... from your car cigarette lighter and fast charges the battery in only about 15 to 20 minutes while you are running one of the other two. You can be running continuously with one pack cooling, one charging, and the 3rd one in the boat.

These boats use the same battery packs as is found in common RC cars and aren't all that expensive.

In "Sub Hunting Mode" my boat lasts about probably 45 minutes to an hour, as it is done at a low throttle setting. So in reality, the short running times are not an issue.

I've run a lot of gas engines over the decades and when you figure in the cost of fuel and supporting accessories, plus the sometimes "finiky nature" of the small displacement engines, electrics are the way to go. With just a little study on batteries, you can get to the point where its just "flip the switch and go enjoy yourself" as opposed to messing around with an engine which seems to be fighting you every step of the way.

RC submarines are my thing now, and they have video cameras which can work either by radio to a receiver on the shore, or self-contained and recorded on SD cards. My favorite site for sub stuff is http://www.subpirates.com .. take a look, lots of pretty neat technology there. Unfortunately, not a beginner's sort of project.

The thing to watch here is that the "pool toy" category of boat will disappoint you quite quickly and generally are not well built. Moving up, either by upgrading the radio and motor in the pool toy, or going with a "real RC boat" from the get-go will pay off fast.

If I can be of any help, just let me know. I really enjoy this stuff.

Regards,
Lee

Last edited by Lee Smith; 02/28/08 02:58 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I nominate Lee Smith as President of the PB RC Toy Chapter.
(hmmmm; Winnepeg you say? RC snowmobiles?)

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I'll accept the position ... on one condition .. no snowmobiles! They are too cold for this lily-livered guy to handle thanks.

Still have too much snow to make a drive into my ponds. Haven't made it in "to see how my babies are doing" since early December..... hummmm maybe I need a snowmobile.

Can't wait for the ice to go out and see how they made out this year.

Last spring, I lost about 1,500 Rainbows to winterkill ... and they were just getting to the 20" plus size too. It was a sad day to discover that. I restocked with only 300 last spring so the demand on the pond resources will be considerably less.

I now return this channel to regular Radio-Controlled model use!

Lee

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
do any of them come with a super ultra light remote control trolling rod? lol

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Dear Mr. Whiz: (or may I call you Fish?)

Great question, but I somehow sense you have your tongue planted firmly in cheek!

You could certainly get your hands on a nice little ice fishing rod and mod that to your heart's content.

edit - Here is a video of the Atlantio 059 which is the same as mine and has been modified with a "hobby class" motor, speed controller, and proper surface frequency radio. It really scoots along and can handle big water too. Only seems to work in Internet Explorer for me. Putfile site videos won't open for me in Firefox.

http://media.putfile.com/Atlantio-81

If there is sufficient interest in this stuff, I'll toss together a few links and post them in a few days.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Smith; 02/28/08 10:29 PM.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
How about a boat/seaplane all in one.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hydro3d.htm

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
"Only" $529!

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
So I am watching bass fishin' on Saturday morning on ESPN...

On comes an add for the Aviva Fishin Buddy.

RC boat with fishing rod.

http://www.sportskids.com/superstore/Other+Sports/Fishing/Fishing+Buddy/p/709529.html

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
As we say in the fish world .... "Holy Catfish!"

Lee

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That's neat. But not $72.99 neat. Or maybe it is.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Don't tell George but I've already been using a cheap radio shack remote control wave runner to fly fish with. My step father gave me a fly rod and a box full of hand tied flies. I could never get the fly rod casting down so I hooked the line to my little vessel and would take it to the middle of the pond and make a quick turn and it would drop the bait. I was wanting to land a big cat on the fly rod but the darn things would never bite when I was trying it so I gave up. Maybe george can give me some fly rod pointers at the convention this year.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03/04/08 05:21 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food