Pond Boss
Posted By: adirondack pond side x side UTV - 01/15/12 12:51 PM
Guys I'm planning on getting a UTV this spring and have been researching what's available for 3 years, I would appreciate any and all info good or bad on any brands that you own or have experience with, the main use will be utility but also recreation, thanks.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 01:45 PM
I work on quite a few different brands, so I've seen just about every end of the spectrum. There are some light duty "offshore" versions available at big box home stores, parts availability can be an issue with those, and I have seen some drivetrain problems, probably caused by folks overloading them, as they are not as robust as the name brand models.

Hands down, the best built one I have dealt with personally would have to be the Kubotas. Three cylinder diesels, integrated automatic transaxles, (vs. the belt drive used on a lot of models),a host of options and accessories, and just plain built to last. Very rugged.

Personally, I own an older Kawasaki Mule, and I love it. 2 cylinder liquid cooled,4WD, high/low range, and locking differentials... it is as surefooted as a mountain goat, and works hard for me whenever I need it. I have a 6' snow blade for the front for winter chores, and a winch for warm weather activities. (cutting firewood, pulling logs) I use it to remove and install my floating dock, and I built a custom boat trailer to haul my 2-man plastic boat back and forth to my ponds. Is it as heavy as the Kubota? No.

I would recommend sticking with a known brand, whatever you decide.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 02:25 PM
Buddies got a Polaris ranger 800 loves it
Posted By: Sunil Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 02:29 PM
I have a 4-seater Mule that can go to two seats and get an expanded bed.

No problems or dissatisfactions with it, but it's not fast.

Some of those other UTVs can really haul a$$.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 02:31 PM
Thanks for your input sprkplug, I know someone with a kubota and yeah it's built like a tank but out of my price range, the mule is great but I need more ground clearance, very rocky and uneven ground here.
Here's some of the things I would like to have, min. 10" GC, dump bed, 4x4 with Locking diff., FI nice but Carb. ok, doors, windshield, and roof.
Do you have any experience with the ODES utv, they appear to make a strong reliable machine, especially the ODES Dominator.
Posted By: Buffs Pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 02:33 PM
I agree with sprkplug "I would recommend sticking with a known brand, whatever you decide".
I own two Polaris Rangers, both are daily drivers and used for 90% utility and 10% pleasure. Very pleased with both.
Posted By: Dwight Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Thanks for your input sprkplug, I know someone with a kubota and yeah it's built like a tank but out of my price range, the mule is great but I need more ground clearance, very rocky and uneven ground here.
Here's some of the things I would like to have, min. 10" GC, dump bed, 4x4 with Locking diff., FI nice but Carb. ok, doors, windshield, and roof.
Do you have any experience with the ODES utv, they appear to make a strong reliable machine, especially the ODES Dominator.

My Mule meets all those criteria except the doors. I put a lift kit and custom wheels and tires on mine. Serious ground clearance and pretty much unstoppable if you avoid the real idiot moves.

I thought about trading for one of the fast ones, but after looking around I decided that the utility was more important (to me) than the speed.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 03:17 PM
We went through the same decision process several years ago. It is like the big LMB or big BG decision. Do you want utility or sport or something in between. The Kubotas, John Deeres, Rangers, and Hondas are pretty far towards the utility. The Razors and couple others are pretty far toward the sport. We went with the Rhino as a compromise. I'm not a big fan of the speed delimiter and it is definitely a compromise; but it was probably the best one at the time for us. Considering the same thing today, we'd probably go with the Cam Am Commander.

http://www.utvguide.net/can_am_commander_1000.htm
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 03:35 PM
Yeah I'm not looking for a hot rod, a tough, reliable machine is the main thing, of course keeping the price down is always a plus.

Keep the suggestions and experiences coming, thanx.
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 03:48 PM
Friz bought a side by side in 2011, I know he did a LOT of research before buying. I hope he sees this thread. He blames me for having to buy one. grin

AP, what will be your intended uses for it? Fun, utility? What do you expect the machine to do for you?

I also agree with sticking with a known brand. I don't know if you are the type of person who buys a vehicle/piece of equipment and keeps it until it's useful life is gone, or upgrade/change every few years. The known brand will probably save you $$ in the long run re: parts availability and longevity.
Posted By: RAH Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 03:50 PM
In my case, a compact utilty tractor offered greater utility with all of the carrying capacity of an UTV. No cab though.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 04:11 PM
I sold my compact tractor so I could buy a UTV, my acreage is mostly too steep to safely use the tractor, especially to get to the back of the property.

My needs are mostly for utility but also for some fun on the trails, can't do much with my old Suzuki ATV.

From the info I've seen even the name brands have issues, it's a matter of finding the most bullit proof machine, with the most bang for the buck. wink
Posted By: rt014 Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 04:11 PM
I've had a Yamaha Rhino for about 4 years now and love it (a 660 I think). I didn't do much research. I also beat the snot out of it skidding logs. I run chains on the rear tires year round. Bought a plow for it last year. That being said, I can see a back hoe / front end loader in my future :-) I've got 72 acres (plus the renovated pond) and the Rhino won't cut it when it comes to moving dirt.
Posted By: FRIZ Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 04:55 PM
I own the following two side-by-sides:

Kubota 1100 & Polaris RZR 800 EPS

Both are great machines in their own right.

If I need to work or if the weather is extreme, the Kubota 1100 is, hands down, the side-by-side of choice. (Factory-installed cabin, heat/AC …) As others have said before, it is the closest thing to a tank you can get as a side-by-side.

If I want to have fun or just cruise around, the Polaris RZR 800 EPS is, hands down, the side-by-side of choice. (Factory-installed power steering, 55 hp eager engine, just 50 inches wide …) It has fast & fun written all over it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
FRIZ
P.S.: And as a rule, it is always ESSHUP’s fault.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:01 PM
The fuel injection is VERY nice, especially on a belt drive, or variable displacement torque converter, if you prefer. The carb models are extremely cold-natured. When you couple that with a very low idle speed, necessary for complete disengagement of a belt drive, then you can get a severe off idle stumble as the carb transitions off the idle circuit into the main. Increasing the idle speed will help, but then the belt drive doesn't want to disengage enough for smooth shifting, and there is a tendency to pull through the brakes.

Having fuel injection really makes for a better cold weather experience. I guess it comes down to spending more money for FI, or spending more time letting a carb equipped engine warm up.

AP, I haven't yet put a wrench to anything by ODES, although I looked at some at a trade show last fall. I believe they are a Chinese company, not saying that's good or bad, only restating my primary concern... parts and service availability. Make sure and put those two things right up at the top of your list of requirements.

The best machine out there will eventually require repair, and having a dealer, or at least a parts source close at hand, will make paying a little more now well worth it when that time comes.
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: FRIZ
P.S.: And as a rule, it is always ESSHUP’s fault.

laugh

Just wait and see what you have to do after I take you and the family to the Sporting Clays range! wink grin
Posted By: george1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
[quote=adirondack pond]Thanks for your input sprk quote]

My Mule meets all those criteria except the doors. I put a lift kit and custom wheels and tires on mine. Serious ground clearance and pretty much unstoppable if you avoid the real idiot moves.

I thought about trading for one of the fast ones, but after looking around I decided that the utility was more important (to me) than the speed.

I'm with Dwight with the Mule - no doors needed in Texas... grin
Mules are for work - not for speed ,,,
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:24 PM
My 2-up machine has a carb., and I've been on the F.I. machines. (I have a Bombardier Traxter Max) If I had my choices, I would NOT go with a carb. for the usage that I get from mine. Cold blooded is 110% correct. I can't fire it up and just putt around. When I stop, it dies unless I pull out on the choke. Then, because the idle is higher, I can't shift from N to D without pushing the choke off.

A friend has a machine that is belt driven. He has burned thru a couple of belts planting his food plots. Mine is shaft driven, and I haven't had any problems.

One thing that concerns me about mine, is that the engine oil also lubricates the transmission......... I've never seen that before. But, I guess that if I keep the oil changed, then there shouldn't be any problems. The other downside is that the closest dealer is in Mi., a good 45 miles one way. (for oil and filters)
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:42 PM
Yeah FI is the best way to go but I can live with a carb, my big yamaha sled has 3 carbs and runs great, even my two 15 year old polaris's still run great, but FI would definitly be preferred in crispy weather, 18 below this morning with a high maybe of 3.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 05:55 PM
AP,

Have you thought about going with a small SUV like a Suzuki Samurai or something similar? My dad sold our Rhino and bought a Samurai.

The price of a used Samurai will be half the cost of a new UTV, street legal, and is only about a foot wider than a Kawasaki Mule.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
AP,

Have you thought about going with a small SUV like a Suzuki Samurai or something similar? My dad sold our Rhino and bought a Samurai.

That would be an option but my trails are narrow and heavily wooded, and I really don't want to buy used. Thanks for the suggestion though, probably great for people with more open land like you guys in Texas.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 06:41 PM
I have researched these for the last three years [talking to mechanics, posting on forums, etc.]looking for a combination of utility/power and performance - here's the models I narrowed it down to:

Kuboda - workhorse most dependable

Kaw Mule - also workhorse

Honda MUV - blend of fun and work

I think Can Am makes the best ATVs and I'll bet their UTV is amazing, too. I was told to keep away from Polaris, as their ATVs routinely have issues, yet read reviews and most are very favorable on the Ranger series, so I don't know what to believe.
Posted By: Dwight Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have researched these for the last three years [talking to mechanics, posting on forums, etc.]looking for a combination of utility/power and performance - here's the models I narrowed it down to:

Kuboda - workhorse most dependable

Kaw Mule - also workhorse

Honda MUV - blend of fun and work

I think Can Am makes the best ATVs and I'll bet their UTV is amazing, too. I was told to keep away from Polaris, as their ATVs routinely have issues, yet read reviews and most are very favorable on the Ranger series, so I don't know what to believe.

3 years is a long time looking. Money is for spending.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 07:41 PM
I have a 2008 Ranger Xp. I bought it because of the bench seat. I can get in it from either side and it holds the wife and 2 kids(under 5 yrs old).

It also had the best clearance,pulling and load capacities of its time.

Only problem I had was a broken piece in the front differential.You can replace it yourself if you can change the oil in a car/truck and its $100. Its from getting stuck in deep snow in 4 way lockup and 1 wheel grabs. I have put it through alot and it has happened but don't really blame the machine.
They make an aluminium replacement to avoid this breaking.

I have never blown a belt and have done lots fo pulling work.

Very very happy with the ranger and it goes 50mph.

P.S
1 down side might be its 60 inches wide. Its very stable though and I have seen a arctic cat flip for no real good reason.

Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/15/12 09:03 PM
TJ, with all the improvements they've been doing, you are going to have to start your research all over again after 3 years!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 04:59 AM
What I really need is a UTV with a front end loader worth a darn. I see Bobcat makes one, and I'm sure it's a super machine, but it's 100% utility without much recreation value [max speed 18 mph].

I think I ought to simply resign myself to buying an old acreage tractor with a front end loader and go for recreation UTV. When I have $15-$20k burning a hole in my pocket I'll do more extensive research again.
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 05:22 AM
That'd be the best route to take. Make sure you have a counterweight on the tractor, or at least filled rear tires if you have a FEL on it.
Posted By: lassig Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 12:00 PM
I can a test to the need to fill the rear tires. I have had my tractor on 3 wheels more than I like to remember. Filling the rear tires is on my todo list
Posted By: Dwight Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 01:07 PM
wide front too, for sure.
Posted By: Terry S. Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 04:39 PM
I bought a Rhino a few years ago when i still lived in a neighborhood , but already owned my property that i now reside.
I bought it because it was a good deal and thought that we would get some good use out of it when we did move.
Fast forward to last year , and we found out rather quickly that we could not live without it. We use about 7 of our 10 acres, with pond.
I bought the rhino from a guy that flipped it , and it had been sitting for 2 or three years. WHen it flipped it caused all of the oil to run out and it needed a rebuild. But we got it running and used it quite a bit , knowing it was down on power.
I came across a great deal on a 2010 ranger 800 , and after driving it one time , knew i had to have it. Even after reading all of the rhino forums about how much better the rhinos were , still i knew i had to have one.
We bought the polaris , and so far so good . It is stronger than you can imagine, and faster than it should be (bounces off the rev limiter at 58).
I do think that yamaha is a little better built machine , but I am totally happy with the Polaris.
THe fuel injection is definately worth the money. You do not realize how cold natured the carbed models are until you have one. They are definately still useable ,and much better than nothing at all , but i say spend the extra and get the FI.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: side x side UTV - 01/16/12 05:26 PM
We have a Polarius Ranger 500 and, based upon my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend it. We have had several electrical issues with the Ranger including having the engine control module die while we were in the middle of mowing our property (we mow about 7 acres). The Ranger dealer told us that the engine control modules and ignition switch are a weakness in the Ranger. The ignition switch is an easy fix but the engine control module is a dealer repair item and it cost us several hundred dollars.

Here's my take on UTVs:
Get one with a normal sized dumping bed - they are very useful.
Get a 4wd. Although our Ranger is under powered (IMHO) because it is a 500, with the low gears and 4wd it will go almost anywhere - as long as you are not in a hurry to get there.
Get the largest engine you can afford, it will drink some more gas but the power is worth it.

We use our UTV as a work horse. We tow a Swisher Rough Cut field mower over some fairly steep terrain, use it to haul brush, use it to spray the road, haul our little alum boat around, etc.

It works okay, even though it is underpowered, although as mentioned we have had some reliability issues which is not what you want in a UTV. Having the darn thing die while mowing the fields is not fun.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 12:22 AM
So far I have 2 utv's on my possible list that meet my requirements of price, around $10,000, power(cause I'm gonna be plowing snow), max width 60", min. ground clearance 10", F.I., dump box & bang for the buck.
1. Kawasaki Teryx 750FI
2. ODES 800 Dominator

I'm still looking for input and suggestions on other models.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 12:29 AM
Definitely keep lookin' AP, but I would lean pretty heavy towards the Kaw....
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 10:40 AM
I have a couple of relatively trouble free 400CC Yamaha ATV's. They are 10 years old. I also have a 38HP John Deere with 4WD and FEL. I bought all of them new because I wanted stuff to work with and not on. I probably have about $40,000 invested and wouldn't change a thing. My place is heavily wooded. The tractor is my back saving work horse and the ATV's are our transportation. I seldom mess with my pickup around the place. I also have a small trailer that I hook up behind an ATV when I don't want to mess with a tractor. I can haul just about anything in the trailer and no problem pulling it.

For just riding around, a 250cc ATV will do 99% of what most of us will ever need.

One of my neighbors is a UTV/ATV dealer. after years of borrowing my tractor, he recently bought a used 25HP Kubota. As he put it, UTV's are great for riding around and hauling chain saws, small amounts of firewood and other stuff until you need a work horse to move rocks, downed trees and actually move stuff out of the way. Then you need a FEL. BTW, a FEL without 4wd is pretty useless.

I figure these things will outlive me. In 10 years, I've had to replace the ATV tires once and have no problems with the tractor. Of course, everything has to be maintained and batteries last less time than anything.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 01:55 PM
Yeah Dave I know what you mean about having a tractor with FEL, I had a diesel tractor 4x4 with locking rear and 5ft bucket, but I pretty much got everything done around the property where I could drive it, the rest of the acreage is too steep, rocky or uneven to safely use it so I sold it.
Now I just want something to get around and get firewood, plow, and use for recreation, my old atv isn't very useful for much except recreation.
I also look at a UTV as my future all terrain wheelchair when I get old. grin
Does your trailer have those large tires so it's easier to pull over rough ground?
Posted By: David Connor Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 02:51 PM
Go test drive all of them. I have friends that love there Rhino's. But me personally, I wouldnt have anything but a ranger. Im on my second one, I got the 800 with power steering and it is great. It works hard on my 100 acres, but it still knows how to play when its time. 8 years ago or so i was torn between a rhino and a ranger so went and drove both of them. i was sold on the ranger at the time because it rides so much smoother and i can put my daughters car seat in the middle of the bench right beside me and take her for a ride. Good Luck
Posted By: R&R Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 06:31 PM
One more opinion for ya. We are currently using a Bobcat, John Deere and Kaw. on a costruction site. Also just about every other brand is here being used by the other trades.(which we all share of coarse) "My" pick Bobcat.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 07:24 PM
AP, the trailer is a small box trailer; about 3.5 by 5 ft with 14 inch tires. I think I paid about $150 for it used.

If you are thinking about light plowing you might want to go to UTV/ATV forum and ask some of those guys. They sell plows for them but I have heard that they just don't cut it for that. It would take a pretty good tranny and rear end to do much without possibly damaging it. Heck, if you occasionally need to plow, I would just rent a small tractor or pay someone to do that. I only put about 50 hours per year on mine and it's usually in 15 minute increments.

You know, that mobile wheelchair has got me thinking.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: side x side UTV - 01/17/12 08:18 PM
We bought a RZR a few years ago. Yes it is a hot rod out of the box but is is also a nice work horse when properly equiped. I designed a rack for ours to make it more of a work horse. I use it for all kinds of task around our place. However we still have a kubota Tractor for bigger jobs so if you are buying one to do the jobs a small tractor will do then you need one of the bigger models. What sold me on the rzr was its comfort compared to the rest. It is harder to get into and out of but once you are strapped in you feel like your driving in a race car and not a school bus. We wanted it for both work and play so or decision was easier. The bigger models are not allowed on some trails in the mountains so the RZR was it for us.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/18/12 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: David Connor
i was sold on the ranger at the time because it rides so much smoother and i can put my daughters car seat in the middle of the bench right beside me and take her for a ride. Good Luck

Dave the bench seat is great for being able to fit another person in, but the drawback is more sliding around in rough terrain, I like the Ranger 800 but it's out of my price range.

Originally Posted By: R&R
One more opinion for ya. We are currently using a Bobcat, John Deere and Kaw. on a costruction site. Also just about every other brand is here being used by the other trades.(which we all share of coarse) "My" pick Bobcat.

I agree the Bobcat is built like a tank but also beyond my price range.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Heck, if you occasionally need to plow, I would just rent a small tractor or pay someone to do that. I only put about 50 hours per year on mine and it's usually in 15 minute increments.

Dave I have a guy who plows my cabin, with an 800ft. driveway and with an average 250" of snow a winter I wouldn't even try to plow it with a UTV, I would bring it back home for the winter where I only have a 70ft. driveway. Many people here have ATV's to do their driveways and works ok if they don't let it pile up too much. Most of the time I use my snowblower, and if we get a big storm I have someone plow.
I like the idea of a small trailer, I've seen them with bigger wheels at Tractor Supply.

Originally Posted By: rockytopper
We bought a RZR a few years ago. Yes it is a hot rod out of the box but is is also a nice work horse when properly equiped. I designed a rack for ours to make it more of a work horse. I use it for all kinds of task around our place.

The RZR is a neat UTV and that rack you have is a great Idea, but I really want a dump bed and will also be putting a bench seat in the bed for the grand kids, seat belts, rollbar,and helmets included.
Posted By: NonTypicalCPA Re: side x side UTV - 01/18/12 02:06 AM
I've owned both a trans mule with and without fi and power steering. In your cold climate don't settle for a carbed model. Low idle, carbs, and cold are a very bad combination. The trans mule is great for hauling the family. It's big but not too big.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/18/12 10:38 AM
I can't even think in terms of 20 ft of snow per year. Heck, we often don't even get 20 inches of rain per year. Things with carbs do just fine down South.

The stuff at Tractor Supply doesn't impress me. I find it to be pretty flimsy. I usually look on Craigs List for that kind of stuff.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/19/12 01:21 PM
Dave I know what you mean about some stuff at Tractor supply, but they do have one tough looking trailer, it's poly bed is what I would want, I have a poly garden cart and it's indestructible.
This looks like a pretty good deal, it's not too big to get around in tight places and has a swiveling dump bed with a 12" ground clearance.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/ohio-steel-professional-grade-12-5-cu-ft-swivel-dump-cart-1027885
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/19/12 02:35 PM
Northern Tool or Northern Hydraulics has a parge poly dump trailer too. Option for 1 or 2 axles, and sides for the trailer above the tub.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Northern Tool or Northern Hydraulics has a parge poly dump trailer too. Option for 1 or 2 axles, and sides for the trailer above the tub.

Yeah Scot the one in Northern tool is the same Ohio Steel trailer that Tractor Supply has, but with shipping it costs more.

Here's one of the UTV's I'm considering, an ODES Dominator, Need to do test drives on different models.

Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 12:59 PM
Once in a while they run a special "no shipping costs" sale.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 01:22 PM
I found out yesterday that a friend of mine bought one of these Kiote's last fall, it's got a 3 cyl. diesel and the New Holland dealer has some good deals. I'm gonna test drive his first.

Posted By: Dwight Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 01:32 PM
Have you read this thread? 800
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'm a member of Rhinoclones, just waiting to see how this model pans out, it's an upgraded version of the ODES 800.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 01:50 PM
That ODES doesn't look much like a future motorized wheelchair.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 02:14 PM
Here ya go Dave. grin

Posted By: Dwight Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 03:04 PM
Yeah, I'm a member of Rhinoclones, just waiting to see how this model pans out, it's an upgraded version of the ODES 800.

Rhinoclones has a nice ring to it!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 05:52 PM
I would sure hate to take that thing anywhere in snow.
Posted By: jludwig Re: side x side UTV - 01/20/12 05:59 PM
Just needs some modifications like tracks and a power upgrade for the snow.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 10:28 AM
Yeah and 6 wheel drive plus racing stripes.
Posted By: Kiko Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 11:19 AM
All one needs now is a Foreverlazy.com and you'll be set.
Posted By: rt014 Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 05:08 PM
I've had no problems plowing with my Rhino. That being said, I have wrecked one set of push tubes on my plow when I hit a tree root plowing a logging road. And it is tough when the snow is icy and/or in high volumes and wet....and I thought I'd be able to do double duty and be able to push dirt with it....NOT.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 09:54 PM
rt do you have a straight plow or V plow? I'd like to get a V plow like this for the UTV, the Eagle plows are suppose to be excellent.

Posted By: blair5002 Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 10:00 PM
My eagle plow on my ranger is tough and it moves alot of snow. Its not a vplow though.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/21/12 10:07 PM
I was told by different people that Eagle plows are top notch, Boss has a nice hydraulic V plow set-up but the price is too steep for what I'll need.

blair what size blade are you using on your Ranger?
Posted By: blair5002 Re: side x side UTV - 01/22/12 01:18 AM
72" when it is set on the sharpest angle it is same width as the ranger.
Posted By: rt014 Re: side x side UTV - 01/24/12 03:41 AM
rt do you have a straight plow or V plow? I'd like to get a V plow like this for the UTV, the Eagle plows are suppose to be excellent.

Hi ADK Pond....not a V for me. I have a Moose straight plow. The blade seems plenty tough, but the tube assembly that attaches to the Rhino seems to be the 'weak link' in the system. But overall I think it's been ok....also considering it was my first year plowing when I bent the tubes :-)
Posted By: LUSKFAN Re: side x side UTV - 01/25/12 12:01 AM
I'll echo the positive feedback about the Trans Mule. Great utility vehicle, plus two bench seats will seat 6 adults. Look elsewhere if you are looking for speed though, I think my Mule tops out at around 25mph.........can be a positive for kids though.....
Which ever UTV you decide on, the most important decision is fuel injection, fuel injection, fuel injection! It really makes the experience of owning one of these types of vehicles much better.

Eddie
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: side x side UTV - 01/25/12 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: rt014
Hi ADK Pond....not a V for me. I have a Moose straight plow. The blade seems plenty tough, but the tube assembly that attaches to the Rhino seems to be the 'weak link' in the system. But overall I think it's been ok....also considering it was my first year plowing when I bent the tubes :-)

Yeah a straight plow would work fine for me but I figure the V plow would give me a little more capability if I needed it.

Originally Posted By: LUSKFAN
I'll echo the positive feedback about the Trans Mule. Great utility vehicle, plus two bench seats will seat 6 adults. Look elsewhere if you are looking for speed though, I think my Mule tops out at around 25mph.........can be a positive for kids though.....
Which ever UTV you decide on, the most important decision is fuel injection, fuel injection, fuel injection! It really makes the experience of owning one of these types of vehicles much better.

Eddie

The mule is a good buy but I need more ground clearance, I have decided to get only something with fuel injection.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: side x side UTV - 01/28/13 05:44 PM
Size and price doesn't always matter.

We've got a little Side x Side UTV that we love -- and it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the well recognized names. We call her "Lizzie" since she looks like an early Model-T Ford Tin Lizzy pickup truck from pre-1920.

I've got about $5000 invested in her, based on discounts and coupons. That includes the machine you see with roof and windshield (standard), plus the front 2-inch receiver, winch, and 60-inch snow plow that installs/removes with the lift of a single handle and disconnecting the winch hook. Everything else was standard. Oh, and I've got about another $65 dollars invested in chains for the rear wheels.

I got the 2-wheel drive model with a locking rear differential. The shocks are adjustable. The dump bed has a 400 lb., carrying capacity and the rear hitch has an 1100 lb., towing capacity. There is an electric lift option for the dump bed that I think I'm going to invest in.

The thing runs on a near-stock Honda 390cc GX engine (the machine has a 5-gallon external gas tank that replaces the original tank). It has electric and recoil start accessible by tipping the dump bed. The engine moves the machine via a continuously variable transmission.

It is made in Louisianan by American SportWorks. I got mine through Tractor Supply, but I believe that some Home Depot stores and some Mennard stores carry them too.

We got it to help keep hours off the tractor and my pickup truck. So far we haven't had any big snows, but it sure has handled two 3-inch snows quite well, in our rather steep driveway. I don't think I'd have any problem pushing 8-10 inches of snow with it. Yesterday I took Bob L., all over our hilly property, through the woods in several inches of snow, without ever spinning the tires.

It isn't for everyone. But, I've got other equipment available when this thing isn't up to the task.

Here the are specs:

Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: side x side UTV - 01/28/13 05:57 PM
Them V-plows suck to be blunt.. We had a big one where I use to work and its basically sitting and rotting.. There's a reason you don't see them getting used much by the highway dept. basically they make 2 trash piles at once so in 2 passes you only get 1.5xs the coverage of a straight blade hard to explain but if you make 2 passes with a straight blade you'd be a 1/2 blade ahead of the V (and you r working on one side instead of 2 with the V)
Posted By: djstauder Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 03:29 PM
We recently bought a 4WD Mule 610 with a 400lb capacity manual dump bed. The dump bed is relatively easy to dump, tho, as it is well balanced unless you put all the weight in the front. It was much less costly than the higher powered vehicles and is handy around the farm and pond. I also consider this a "wheelchair" when I get old which, at 56, may already be now!

The Mule has a top speed of 25 MPH but supposedly the carburator can be tuned to get that to approach 30 MPH. Has any other Mule owners attempted this?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 04:10 PM
DJ, the 610's greatness, and you'll love it. Haven't needed to make it faster because we only have 80 acres, but my 5 year old 610 has never even burped.

The only issue I had with it was the air/fuel screw being capped due to California emission regulations.

I've heard this can be fixed, but I can neither confirm or deny this. whistle
Posted By: george1 Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
We recently bought a 4WD Mule 610 with a 400lb capacity manual dump bed. The dump bed is relatively easy to dump, tho, as it is well balanced unless you put all the weight in the front. It was much less costly than the higher powered vehicles and is handy around the farm and pond. I also consider this a "wheelchair" when I get old which, at 56, may already be now!
d
The Mule has a top speed of 25 MPH but supposedly the carburator can be tuned to get that to approach 30 MPH. Has any other Mule owners attempted this?

Our 4WD Mule 610 gets me from pond to pond and is handier than four pockets on a fishing shirt!
George
Posted By: Mullyden Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 05:07 PM
We have had a TransMule for 2 years. It's fuel injection never lets us down. A very good and fairly new feature is the power steering. I believe it is an electric assist steering that really helps when the need arrives to doing lots of turning when the vehicle is stopped in heavy brush or trees. It helps a lot. We are ok with the 25mph speed limit as we do not drive it on open roads too much.
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 05:48 PM
The Ohio Steel poly dump cart is on my shopping list for this spring, but Sears has one with the same bed on a different 1000# frame for $224 and free in store pickup. This appears to be the best buy I've seen.

http://www.sears.com/universal-12.5-cu-f...mp;blockType=G2

I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages with no mention of a golf cart. I have not bought anything yet, but for basic transportation, light utility and sheer thrift, it seems like a viable option. Any thoughts?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 06:18 PM
Golf Carts are great also. If they have the high torque motor and controller, even better. The only issue for me is the batteries. They're expensive, and I wouldn't get a another used one unless it had a good Lester charger, and had the batteries load tested.

The gas carts have more power, but the quietness is gone. We use our electric Yamaha for stealthy vermin hunting, and duck watching.
Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 06:22 PM
Also, if you get in slippery conditions, 4wd is nice. I don't know of many electric golf carts that have it.

I do like the quietness of the electric motor.

Get the best of both worlds with a Bad Boy Buggy. I have no idea what they cost tho!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: side x side UTV - 01/29/13 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages with no mention of a golf cart. I have not bought anything yet, but for basic transportation, light utility and sheer thrift, it seems like a viable option. Any thoughts?

Absolutely. Golf carts can make great 2WD UTVs. My TW-400 Trail Wagon by American Sportworks, mentioned above, is two steps up from a golf cart. Below mine is a TW-200 shown on the spec sheet I posted. It is basically a modified golf cart. They are quite affordable.

I have several friends with golf carts that they modified into UTVs by adding ATV-type tires, replacing the golf-club carrier with a utility bed, and adding a 2-inch hitch receiver. For general transportation, hauling 200-400 lbs. of stuff, or towing a moderate trailer, they work just fine. We've seen them sell for less than $100 at auction, usually only needing minor repairs. One friend recently got one for $100 at a yard sale that had already been modified, but had a blown head gasket. The repair manual and parts cost him $75. It took him about three hours to have a fully functioning UTV based on a golf cart.
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: side x side UTV - 06/13/13 07:58 PM
Thanx to all for your responses here, even though it was not my original post the info was immensly helpful. I started out looking at a golf cart with a dump bed, then the smaller side-x-sides, then the chinese clones, then I couldn't decide what to do. I stumbled upon a 2011 Mule 4010 Trans with 46 hours on it for a GREAT price. It does have a V-twin engine, fuel injection, power steering and either a back seat or a long dump bed. When I brought it home she said "Oh great, another toy", but I can't get her out of of long enough to drive it myself! I did find it useful on day two when I used it to pull the ZTR out of the edge of the pond when the grass got wet, and of course it's great for hauling puppies!

Posted By: esshup Re: side x side UTV - 06/14/13 12:21 AM
Nice!!!
Posted By: jims place Re: side x side UTV - 06/14/13 12:25 PM
Go ahead and kiss your Mule good bye. My wife latched on to my Ranger the first week it was home, now we have two….problem solved. They are fun and very handy around your property.
Posted By: JKB Re: side x side UTV - 06/14/13 08:30 PM
Wives and girlfriends actually want you to buy this stuff, they just don't let you know wink

Keep spending grin
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 01:42 PM
Lots of good info in this thread although it is dated now. I know there are some other more recent threads about picking a UTV.

I see a local shop advertising the Massimo UTVs, advertise made in america (actually it seems like they are ASSEMBLED in america? in Galveston Texas?) Do they have a bigger following in the south? I've not heard anything about these but if the are reliable and well built for mostly light duty, recreation I'm looking for a 4wd atv or utv. Kids bomb around on trails, I'd like to plow snow on my pond and driveway, maybe pull a little trailer around. No serious towing and no long distance trail riding or riding on the road.

Ideas?
https://www.massimomotor.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuI7B6JuP7wIV0dXACh1VNAtzEAAYASAAEgLIm_D_BwE
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 02:06 PM
Reading it, I agree that they are most likely built in China or someplace and assembled here. I’ve known several people who bought assembled inAmerica. They didn’t last long.

I believe in Jap bikes. Expensive? Yep, but I take mine just about everywhere except the Hold my beer and watch this places. And sometimes even then when I need to.
Posted By: RStringer Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 02:13 PM
We got a Yamaha teryx4. Love it. We have used it for lots of things. Starters we got it street legal in our town (parsons ks). We can tow with it (small things). Its been down to the dunes in Oklahoma ( little Sahara) and had a blast on it. It's as stock as the day we bought it new besides blinkers, horn and mirrors. We have over 3000 miles on it already still looks and drivers like the the daybwe got it also. Iv recommend it so much my father in law got the same one just in another color.

Attached picture Screenshot_20210301-080521_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20210301-080655_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20210301-080716_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 08:01 PM
very nice! Thanks for the input. I'm thinking a Side by side might be a bit big and I'll probably keep the search focused on atvs. I wish so they made an electric option. I don't need miles and miles of range and the torque would be really handy around the house. For a while a few companies were making ATV with electric drive even for farm use but it must not have caught on.

was toying with reworking an electric golf cart chassis or maybe stripping down my very tired and still somewhat reliable canam outlander and seeing what could be done with adding electric motors and controls.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 09:17 PM
Count me in on the search...it's been 9 years but I'm officially on a UTV hunt [or am I?].

Have a local guy who buys UTVs used, repairs, and resells. Not sure I can justify cost of a showroom new unit, so used is tempting. He primarily sells Polaris Rangers 500 or 900 models, and they typically have around 5-10K miles. Asking price for these is $9-$10k including winch and snow blade, which we need around here. IDK if dropping that kind of cash on a used UTV is worth it. So, like in 2012, I'm struggling to find the right path.

To make matters more complicated, which I inevitably always do, I've been looking at those used Japanese mini trucks too - one can be had for $3-$5k with 50-75K miles. I could buy 2-3 mini trucks for the cost of ONE used UTV. I suspect one mini truck would outlive me with routine maintenance.

For that matter, I could buy 2-3 used Nebraska farm pickups with 200K+ miles for farm duties for the price of ONE used UTV.

UTV, Mini Truck, or beater corn truck?

UTV - new or used?

Polaris or keep looking?

I'm a disaster.
Posted By: Flame Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 09:36 PM
We actually bought a little dodge neon for $500 with air conditioning and all. Considered removing the doors but then thought that would be nice in the winter. Our electric golf cart with a bed on it worked ok for several years but I hated keeping up with batteries and it had no towing power and only seated 2 people. Then...I thought a cj7 jeep 4 wheel drive with a winch I bought for only $2500. It was a little bit of an overkill. Then...in 2019 I broke down and bought a brand new Ranger 900 crew cab with a dump bed. It is the 1st one that actually seats 6 adults. It actually has 6 sets of seat belts in it!! Gas powered 4 wheel drive and we LOVE IT!!! Only thing is it is long and the turning radius leaves a lot to be desired.
Posted By: RStringer Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 09:55 PM
We paid 14,100 for our brand new Yamaha teryx4. 2019 off the show room floor. I didn't think that was to bad of a deal.
Posted By: Zep Re: side x side UTV - 03/01/21 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
I wish so they made an electric option. I don't need miles and miles of range and the torque would be really handy around the house. For a while a few companies were making ATV with electric drive even for farm use but it must not have caught on.

There are still some electric UTV's being made....but it appears they are only a tiny fraction of the market. I've considered electric...because I love the quiet stealth factor....but everybody I talk to loves their Polaris Ranger Crew 1000....so whenever I finally pull the trigger I will probably do the Polaris Ranger.

Great popular brand electric model, but a 2 seater: Polaris EV
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-ev/

Intimidator is an under the radar high quality brand - click on EV tab
I think they still only offer ev in a 2 seater
https://intimidatorutv.com/classic-series/

HuntV only makes electric...not sure about quality:
One of the very few true side by side electric models
http://www.huntve.com/models

Textron was making an electric 2 seater with fold down back seat like a golf cart recently, not sure about 2021.
Posted By: DannyMac Re: side x side UTV - 03/02/21 02:14 AM
I only saw a headline, but a major ATV firm is bringing out an electric model, and the picture looked like a four seater.
Posted By: Zep Re: side x side UTV - 03/02/21 04:08 AM
Danny....I wish Musk/Tesla would come out with a 4 seater side x side...lol
Posted By: snrub Re: side x side UTV - 03/02/21 04:28 AM
Here is what I am riding in the Arizona desert. 2021 Polaris General XP1000.

Carolynn and I are the lead vehicle so you see the backside of the General most of the video.

Ride south of Quartzite "good, bad, ugly" trail portion

Part 2 of ride, part of 600 mile Arizona Peace Trail
Posted By: 5444 Re: side x side UTV - 03/02/21 12:50 PM
I've owned 3 Can Am 1000 Defenders (currently have a 6x6) and 1 Ranger 570. I started out with the Ranger, my wife surprised me with it. It was decent, for a smaller sxs. When I decide I wanted something bigger, my research lead me to the defender. The clutch system can am is using in their machine was better in my opinion than the ranger. I also wanted gears for my reverse gears and not a chain like the rangers had. However I believe can am went to a chain driven reverse gear in all units starting in 2018 except the XMR defender. Their chain is much beefier than the Polaris one however. I haven't researched them in awhile, so the ranger may be better built by now. I always liked the build quality of the Kawasaki Trex too, but didn't like how tough it was to change a belt if needed. Can am is pretty user friendly when it comes to that.
Posted By: RStringer Re: side x side UTV - 03/02/21 03:59 PM
Just realized I put Yamaha. My bad its a Kawasaki. 4 wheeler is Yamaha.
© Pond Boss Forum