Pond Boss
Posted By: Pondwish Dirty water with new aeration system - 06/20/17 01:38 AM
1 acre pond, 1.5 yrs old, max depth 13 feet, CNBG and LMB in NE Tx. Put in bottom aeration system about 6 weeks ago and the algae bloom I had before has been gone ever since (I think) replaced with brown, turbid water. We have had a lot of rain and cloudy days but I have fertilized several times and can't get the water green. What has me confused is the turbidity from the aeration has my visibility down to 15 inches. Do I keep dumping fertilizer until I see green water or hold off since the visibility level is good?
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Dirty water with new aeration system - 06/20/17 12:02 PM
I am no expert here so u can take this for what ever it's worth.

My diffusers kicked up some fine clays last year when I first added them. And it did dirty the pond up a little more than usual. it was kinda of frustrating at the time, but I stayed with the diffusers as recommended. This year I still have a little clay kicked up but not near as much as it was. I think when most of the loose clays have been disturbed at first then fewer clays will be disturbed later. So it should get better as time goes on. And I would be careful when it comes to fertilization, you don't want to fight too much green water as I am doing now due to rains. If you are feeding then over time it may act as your fertilizer.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Dirty water with new aeration system - 06/20/17 12:42 PM
I would watch your water temp. Water temp has alot to do with FA and algae bloom. Sun light gets your blooms going so if it is not getting heat or light the bloom will be small or take more time to start.

I have our air stations off the bottom about 18"s but will still bring up silt after five years.

I do remember some one saying that you still get a good lift with the air station even if it is 4-5 feet off the bottom. I think ours now has more to do with low plants and the water current made by the air stations. We may be over aerated.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dirty water with new aeration system - 07/17/17 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Pondwish
1 acre pond, 1.5 yrs old, max depth 13 feet, CNBG and LMB in NE Tx. Put in bottom aeration system about 6 weeks ago and the algae bloom I had before has been gone ever since (I think) replaced with brown, turbid water. We have had a lot of rain and cloudy days but I have fertilized several times and can't get the water green. What has me confused is the turbidity from the aeration has my visibility down to 15 inches. Do I keep dumping fertilizer until I see green water or hold off since the visibility level is good?

What is your water temp, and what are your alkalinity levels?

Different algae prefer different water temps, and if you don't have high enough alkalinity readings you won't be able to sustain an algae bloom.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Dirty water with new aeration system - 07/17/17 04:21 PM
One other quick question also. How if your air in your pond. Are the fusers on something up off the ground a little? If not they should be. I would say about 8 to 12 inches up off the bottom if possible. That would help with some of turbid water as well. If it's already up that high then it could be just from all the rain.

My pond is more dirty this year then it's been sense I've owned it. So much rain and runoff has gotten it pretty turbid. I can only see down right now about 10 inches and I can usually see a good 2 feet.

RC
© Pond Boss Forum