Pond Boss
Posted By: shooterlurespond Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 12:07 AM
I have a 1.7 acre pond in NC. Last year, I noticed fish schooling in my pond. Had never seen it before. Got a small boat and casting net and figured out that it was little bass. I fertilized the pond for the first time last year. I fertilized the pond, for the first time in 2015 a couple of weeks ago. I am now noticing schooling fish again. Does fertilizing a pond lead to fish schooling? What is the reasoning? Just curious.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 12:22 AM
I have no idea if the fertilizing is part of the cause or not?

Do you have bullhead catfish? I have seen LMB school to get fingerlings. They could just be following other bait schools and happen to all be close together.
Posted By: shooterlurespond Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 04:08 AM
Nope. No catfish.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 12:16 PM
Just about all fish school. I expect that this is the first time you've noticed it.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 12:39 PM
What fish school that are about an inch+- and move on the surface causing it to shimmer, group of 100s? Curious

Pat
Posted By: shooterlurespond Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 01:08 PM
I don't think it's the first time I've noticed it. Lived next to the pond for YEARS and keep a pretty close eye on it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fertilize-schooling bass? - 04/18/15 05:09 PM
Dang near everything starts out schooling as a defense mechanism. Generally, only really big fish become loners.

However, I am speaking in generalities.
© Pond Boss Forum