Pond Boss
Posted By: look@her_bass Where do I get started? - 03/08/15 03:33 PM
I am new to pond management, where do I start for water chemistry so I can fertilize?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Where do I get started? - 03/08/15 03:45 PM
Welcome to PBF!

You might find this thread helpful

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=399991
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Where do I get started? - 03/08/15 04:52 PM
I would hold off fertilizing till u research it out some more. If u have vegetation in the water, from my understanding u will be fertilizing plant growth. I am no expert on pond fertilization but like u I am learning.
Tracy
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Where do I get started? - 03/08/15 09:05 PM
To successfully fertilize you should know the alkalinity concentration of your pond. There is a minimum alkalinity value for fertilization to have any hope of succeeding. It is much more than dumping fertilizer into the water. Improper fertilization can turn your pond into a long term head ache of a weedy mess because the added nutrients become part of the continual nutrient budget of the life of the pond. I will provide below a link to fertilization topics and discussion.

IMO you should do good homework. Learn what it takes to get a good bloom and a list of things that hinder a bloom. Learn the pros and cons of fertilizing. Sometimes it is better to spend the money on feeding fish food pellets to produce as good or even better overall results of more and bigger fish. Sometimes if the water quality is "right" feeding pellets to the fish produces an acceptable bloom. Win, win. The more you understand the fertilization and pellet feeding topics the better chance of not wasting your money. Some really serious pond owners fertilize and feed pellets for premium benefits. Proper fertilization requires regular monitoring of bloom density (water clarity) and knowing when to add and then when to stop adding nutrients (fertilizer).

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96127#Post96127

When in doubt ask questions here. There are many members here that fertilize or feed pellets, and some who do both, fertilize and feed. We are here to help with experienced, knowledgeable advice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Where do I get started? - 03/09/15 10:49 AM
It also depends on your location. In pine tree country, your water might need a boost. However, in oak areas you can dang sure kill a lot of fish with it. Been there, done that.

Have your water tested prior to adding anything.
Posted By: look@her_bass Re: Where do I get started? - 03/09/15 03:53 PM
Thank y'all very much, one more question. What is a good kit to purchase to keep tabs on my water?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Where do I get started? - 03/09/15 04:11 PM
I once bought a reasonable expensive test kit. At some point it said something about the water and chemical turning pink. Well, just how pink should it turn. I finally gave up and sent a sample to TAMU.

Or I have used swimming pool test strips. They're not 100% accurate but will give you an idea.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Where do I get started? - 03/09/15 04:18 PM
For test kits when they say pink usually it means the first sign of pinkness as the full indicator color changes from for instance a gray, yellow or brown to pink and after gentle swirling it stays pink.

Pet stores have reasonably priced test kits that will get you close to the correct answer providing you closely follow the instructions. For better more accurate pond water test kits look into Hach or LaMonte from various sources from aquaculture supply houses, etc.
http://pentairaes.com/water-quality-testing/water-quality-test-type/test-kit
© Pond Boss Forum