Pond Boss
Posted By: erieangler Pond water clearing up after good bloom - 07/21/14 02:30 PM

Hello,
Need advice on what needs to be done. Started fertilizing this spring and got a good bloom with visibility around the eighteen inch mark and fertilized to maintain it. About the first of July I noticed it clearing up and algae growing profusely on the surface. I used 0-46-0 to get the bloom and added enough ever so often to keep it but when algae started growing the water got clear. The ph is at 8 with no significant amounts of nitrite or nitrate. I am still fertilizing but water stays clear. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond water clearing up after good bloom - 07/24/14 02:02 AM
the filamentous algae is probably utilizing the nutrients that the phytoplankton need.
Seen that before. As the algae dies, it refertilizes itself and contributes to new growth. It is actually sucking up all of the nutrients that the phyto needs. If you nuke the algae, the same result occurs.

If it were me, and it's not, I would start again next year and nuke the algae before it has time to become an infestation. And, keep nuking it. Fertilize lightly.

The above assumes that you have heavy algae infestation.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond water clearing up after good bloom - 07/24/14 05:38 PM
Same question ? - see this thread

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=383067&page=1
© Pond Boss Forum