Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 04:32 AM
Thanks to all you newbies who came around Pond Boss and then decided to stay. You all have really infused a lot of good questions, information and participation to the site. Otherwise us old guys would just keep rehashing the same stuff.

Thanks to Ryan Freeze, NewWaterWays, Asleep at the wheel, Joey, Portable ladder, Brettski, DIED, heybud, wickedinhere, FatMcB, JeffHasAPond, bicmac, Family Tradition, Tim Stuart, Shorty, trialsguy, bz, Debra King and bunches of others that I obviously forgot. Shame on me for forgetting, but I thank you, too.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 01:01 PM
Hey what about me!! I know, it's probably the small detail that more threads have ended after one of my posts than anyone alive. I'm the "Steel Curtain" to 125# running backs, the 1# bass to the 3" BG.

rm "thread-killer" edgar

"Have you missed me Al? With every bullet so far Peg"
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 01:01 PM
What amazes me is how they show up asking questions and before you know it they are answering even more questions for the next spawn of Newbies. This site has truly been blessed with interested newcomers quickly assimilating into the ranks of journeymen who know a thing or two (a group I hopefully qualify as a member of) and love to share and expand that knowledge.
Posted By: Eric Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 01:21 PM
The greatest thrill thus far for me on here is being able to actually help someone with a question. I usually stay in the background but its nice to have a few I can field. I still have more questions to ask than I do to answer, but I think in life that is usually the case.

I also would like to thank all the oldies and newbies because I have learned from each and every one of them!!!
Posted By: Joey Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 01:22 PM
I was gonna write something funny like if were the crazy ones all you pond mentors must be totally crazy for answering us!! hehehe

You dont need to thank the newbies.. We need to thank you, THANK YOU. I am sure when you all started ponding there was no one to really ask dumb questions. You guys were like pioneers. The new guys thanks to the net and all of you can learn so much in very little time and hopefully do things right. Sometimes a dumb question isnt so dumb to one of us, but then after its lerned and added into memory sometimes it was kinda dumb.

I am member #3030 and there are already like 35 members newer then me... sometime I see a question and I know the answer only because one of you pond mentors told us. I answered one so far and it felt funny. I think I will stick to asking and maybe bragging for a while.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 01:44 PM
Is is a great site...but one thing still bothers me. Does anyone but Bruce, Cecil, ML and Catmando actually fish? Where are all the pics for Cecil's contest site? Ewest, Bill Cody, Deb, Norm. et al...show us some fish! \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 02:16 PM
BM I have posted quite a few fish pics. Some of BG ( .45 to 9 inches )some LMB ( 10-12 in. on Lady G's $Gills) some minnows all from the ponds. I have simply not caught a fish worthy of entering CB1's contest. \:o

I may have to go to Mule Jail with a chunk of shad and catch a gar or bowfin. \:o

Shock survey next week so I will have some pics - they will be caught fish just not by hook and line . If a big one comes up I may claim I caught it and turn it in - then I would be the first one to be rejected for cheating - not . ;\) \:D :p

rmedgar you are not a newbie -- your # is lower than most of us other thread killers. But we are glad you are still hear with the rest of the gray beards. \:\)

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for taking part. Lets encourage others to join in the fun. Remember there are no dumb questions , just people who want to learn , including me. It is very often the simple straight forward question that helps me learn just how much I don't know or have forgotten.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 02:20 PM
Whats funny to me is that when I joined the family I had all these questions and all were answered, and now when I see a new member ask the very same question I smile and think, Ah I know what your going through. I also noticed the same questions are asked and cycled through the threads kinda like a date line. I must be getting old because once my outside chores are done I truly enjoy setting down with my favorite beverage and going through the archives, problem is I only retain just a smigion of the info then I have to search again, or is that a problem? I think not. For you Burgermeister, this is a picture of my catch and release program. The fish guy caught it and I released it in my pond. ;\)

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 04:53 PM
is it just me or is anybody else wondering why bruce got sentimental under the "fertilization" forum?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 05:07 PM
Good observation. I'll bet if you think about it you'll figure it out for yourself.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 05:49 PM
i guess my feeble attempt at humor didnt quite work......but i done figured it already.....thankful for young fresh fertile minds infusing pondboss with new genetics \:\)

or something to that effect \:D

and i couldnt of said it better than Eric...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 06:44 PM
I took it as I think you originally intended, D.I.E.D. All the ferilizer in my fertile imagination is natural. \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 08:21 PM
Old ground (dirt/ponds) gets worn out with use unless new nutrients are added along with ray and wettie .

Either new folks join in or old folks learn more and share it with each other (or hopefully some of both )in order to keep things dynamic.

Both processes are simple yet elegant and consist of Energy in motion (creativity) .

Posted By: Asleep at the Wheel Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 08:29 PM
They came seeking pond knowledge. They were seduced by the dream of the ideal pond. They have tapped into a never-ending resource of help and comraderie. They stayed for enjoyment and satisfaction of membership in a community. It is a rare community of experienced veterans that welcomes new comers with so little experience - encourages their growth and celebrates everyone's varied experiences.
Aw shucks.
Some see "pond crazy" as an illness. They just don't get it.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 08:46 PM
thanks for the tip bruce......theo is so full of them.......i think enough to write a book.......i keep watching for the right one.........maybe i'll try this for a few days........
Posted By: Joey Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 10:16 PM
Welcoming new comers hit it right on the head. This place and pretty much everyone seems to welcome the pond newbie.

If you ever want to feel like your the lowest peice of dirt alive and not welcome one bit, just buy a Toy poodle and show it in conformation in the AKC.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/26/06 11:18 PM
I came here totally ignorant. After a long time, I learned a bunch. As a matter of fact, I have learned so much that it has exposed my ignorance. I guess there comes a time when you learn enough to realize that you have barely scratched the surface.

As James Caan (Sonny) said in the Godfather, " Shtoopid, just shtoopid".

I realize that I'm not posting as much now that I have become aware of the limits of my knowledge.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 12:08 AM
DD1, dont sell yerself short....i've found you to have more common sense than i'll ever have and that counts for a lot. One of the things i love about this forum is the huge range in folks attracted by it and who contribute here....from Phd's to heavy equip. operators, all you guys and gals bring passion and yer own brand of smarts that benefit all of us.........and DD1, as my dad always said "you never know anything until you know what you dont know"
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 12:28 AM
Dave D :

I figure we both know a little and have learned from a few mistakes. We have a lot left to learn. It does not make a difference if we know 1 % or .98% each , that is still a little. But collectively we know 1.5 % (some overlap) but if one of us does not join in and share his part we both know half as much. If we let what we don't know stop us from joining in we all lose.

Its not about what you know , its about what you don't know but are willing to learn. No one here knows even 25 % of what there is to know about ponds so don't let what you don't know stop you. If knowing the answers was necessary to post then none of us would ever start posting. Carpe diem.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 12:48 AM
Very nice post Bruce. We do owe gratitude to the fresh faces for keeping the site interesting & us grounded! ;\)
Hurrahs for the regulars & the persistent "long time" members also for they are the senate!

DD1, I do empathize with you. Seems the older I get the more I realize how ignorant I really am.
Posted By: Brettski Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 12:54 AM
Dave queries:
 Quote:
is it just me or is anybody else wondering why bruce got sentimental under the "fertilization" forum?

Thread author, Bruce responds:
 Quote:
Good observation. I'll bet if you think about it you'll figure it out for yourself.
-
-
...Brettski will never find us down here. Heck, he barely got past the Creating the food chain thread and pulled up stakes until next spring. ;\)
-
-
Seriously, you guys cost me a bank-load of money this past year. Strangely, I'm still smilin'. When I got here a little over a year ago, I had my budget totally under control with plans for a nice little puddle in the woods. Then I peered into the PB crystal ball as the "soon to be Moderators" and their well organized pond-shills hawked me in for a seance to reveal my future. I was hypnotized by the bright glinting laser beams of hope. (these turned out later to be Bruce's perfect white teeth) The Great Magical Mystico Theo slowly and methodically ran his all-knowing hands about the beautiful glowing orb, never touching it, as if warming his hands by it's commanding light. He told me of great masses of large Perch and abundant Blue Gill. I stared into the crystal ball, a glazed blank stare, as I I could see them slowly moving about like fish within a bright round aquarium. (this turned out later to be callouses and cow dung smears on Theo's palms). The awe-inspired, mind-bending power of Bob Lusk and DD1 set me back in my chair, trembling, as they appeared from nowhere, adorned in Merlin's flowing robe and pointy hats. They drew me deeper into a trance, deeper into total mind-consumption, beckoning me to focus on all the beautiful dirt work promised by the future within the crystal ball. They moaned a low, gutteral chant of "otto, otto, otto". It was bright...so bright. Bruce was asked to leave the room. Then it got warm...so warm. "I can smell it...I can smell the dirt!" I cried. Theo was asked to wash his hands. Burgermeister burst into the room and snatched Bob's hat, startling me only momentarily. Then HE walked in. A forbidding image of a man, surrounded by a chilly mist, emerging from a wall of hundreds of perfect, red and black bound legal books. (you know the kind...they look like they haven't even been opened, probably fake and concealing a revolving wall that opens to a speak easy). His pin stripe suit was immaculate; the pressed seams could cut cheese. This could only be Ewest. He thrust his hand toward the pulsating glass orb of fortune, reciting URL links like John Moschitta, and pointed to a barren landscape within. I leaned so close that the tip of my nose was hot from the radiating heat. My eyes widened with awe as I saw it. A new land, a place so barren yet so wonderous. I felt a wave of calm come over me as I yearned to go there. It was the nirvana that a man's soul sees only in dreams. Smooth and flat, yet curving and inviting. This will certainly be my lifelong goal and final resting place. This will be my heaven on earth.
-
-
-
-
-
-

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:11 AM
"Join us, Brettski! It's so beautiful!"
Posted By: burgermeister Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:20 AM
Bravo, bravo!! It is apparent that 'cabin fever' is in full swing north of the M-D line.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:26 AM
JRR Tolkien......step aside......a new trilogy-ski has begun \:D \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:29 AM
Drink the Kool-Aid, Brettski. The satellite's getting closer....and closer............and closer............................

Now close your eyes.
Posted By: Sunil Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:44 AM
No Man! Do not drink the Kool-Aid. You may never make it back.
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:55 AM
Brettski

I still like this one the best. Still ROFLOL. \:D

Brettski
Lunker
Member # 2309

Member Rated:
posted January 28, 2006 03:13 PM

"Bob, grab ahold o' Shorty's melon...Quit squirmin' Mutton-head....before Debbie starts thinkin' the Condello practice is run by a stooge..."

Proof you were warned last Jan.

Theo Gallus
Member # 1187

Member Rated:
posted January 07, 2006 07:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Brettski:
Theo,
Bruce has been particularly nice to me from day one. As I am pretty new to PB exposure; should I be exercising any level of concern? He is so darn likeable! Is there any risk of mental recruitment? I shudder to think of an entire race of pond-owners with perfect, porcelain teeth, all commited to do the bidding of a madman in an aqua labcoat!

brettski -

don't worry - you will be one of us soon - do not try to fight it - the master is merciful - he gives us special cans of diet mountan dew to make us do his bidding - it is all so beautiful - look i have no cavities

igor #6

ewest
Member # 1798

posted January 07, 2006 09:30 AM
Brettski :

That is an easy one to answer. You are suffering the first symptoms of the life threating bite of a toothed Condello strain BG. Originally created by Dr. Frankenbruce to lure new dental clients based on thier fabulous teeth they are now out of control after chewing off the legs of igor # 3 when he stepped into their pond to pull out the good Dr. who fell in while wildly LOL about his creation. They are the first species that can make contact (move through phone/cable lines) to attack unsuspecting PB'ers. Sorry about your condition but many of us suffer from it and continue to post with less than full mental capicity.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 04:00 AM

Posted By: trialsguy Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 04:30 AM
I envy the educated tongue that can speak so fluid like that you get mixed into the reading like a fine bourbon mixes with the ice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 11:24 AM
Sick, Yessir, sick! Maybe sick is too mild. Delusional? Nah. Just nuts.

Just how long did you say you had been off the bottle?
Posted By: Shorty Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:09 PM
\:D LMAO

I have learned so much in the last year guys!

Thank You all! ;\)
Posted By: Joey Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:20 PM
Thank God that monkey was looking at Theos cows... I thought he was looking at one of my poodles...hahahha

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 01:37 PM
Yikes! I forgot PondsForFun. \:\( \:\( \:\(

I already think of him as a veteran. Dang! I knew there were some I forgot! Who else? \:o \:o

Now I've annoyed myself.
Posted By: Sunil Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:11 PM
Dude, you forgot all kinds of people. Consult the directory and get yourself back on track pronto!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:13 PM
I'm an idiot.
Posted By: Sunil Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 02:47 PM
No Brother, you're not an idiot...maybe too smart for your own britches though!

Kidding, just kidding!
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 03:45 PM
Well thats a switch the teacher thanking the students. I guess thats what makes this forum work, no one feels like they are stupid or an idiot. Thank you all for the know how and the humor. It realy feels like I know you all, and I know thats what makes me want to stay, seeing all the pictures and hearing the stories is something only PBers in arms can fully understand.
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/27/06 04:00 PM
Its all about the PB family. From one member to the rest Thanks. I hpoe we can meet in person at the PB convention.

BTW I think this thread goes in the PB funnies along with yesterdays "furhead wheel chock" .
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 01:50 AM
Thanks for the plug Bruce, everyone has made me feel welcome since joining. I just can't believe it took me so long to join up! I stumbled across the forum two years ago when I was looking for pond how to books and bought Bob's. For some strange reason I didn't make the connection at the time and feel like I lost two years of my life.

Theo, if I can make it to the convention this spring you get a baggie of extremely rare, highly prized dyslexic chara to take back home for seed. I'm sorry that I missed out on the refrigerator ID thread as I almost wet my pants tonight while reading it. Thanks for all the entertainment guys and gals. \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 01:07 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
-
-
Pond Boss comrades; DO NOT BE FEARFUL OF THE MONKEY! It is an evil ploy by Dr. Frankenbruce to gain total dominance of the PB forum. Please recall another similar attempt with his introduction of the angry RES. We must resist fear and band together to fight this army of mutated, brain-washed animals being assembled in Nebraska. We cannot be pushed into a dark closet, feeding on this lowest form of evil nourishment like helpless mushrooms. I, for one, have taken strides to muster resistance. Fight fire with fire! Bring on your girlie-man monkey, Dr. Frankenbruce. Bring him on his best day!
-
-
-
-

-
MY MONKEY CAN KICK YOUR MONKEY'S BUTT
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 01:53 PM
Brettski that looks just like the oddity reported to be accompanying the frozen pond pirate on his winter pond forays. Since possession is 9/10s of the law does that mean you (heaven forbid) are the frozen pond plundering pirate ?

To clarify things ( so people know we are kidding) there is " Bruce or Dr. Bruce " the kind , caring , knowledgeable and generally great guy who starts outstanding threads and a different person/entity " Dr. Frankenbruce " whose name speaks of his horrors. One is fictional and for fun the other real and who might not like to be thought of in those terms ( even though he is to nice to say so). Lets keep them separate. Thanks \:\)
Posted By: Joey Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 02:16 PM
OK since this thread is heading someplace..hehe I thought I would send you all something. If you have a bad heart dont look...!Very scaryyyyy... quick instuctions. Turn the volume way up on your pc so you can hear it and stare kinda by the picture on the wall, while your staring go closer slowly and you will soon see it, it take a while to see. Happy Halloween. hehehe

http://www.amanda.radom.net/~werewolf//flash/whatswrong.swf
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 02:22 PM
Joey :

You are right -- don't look at that with a bad heart. Once you have the pic up --then right click and then click on zoom-in -- and be ready.
Posted By: Joey Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/29/06 02:25 PM
Hahaha I didnt know about the right click part kinda lets you see it even better hehehhe
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/30/06 02:18 AM
Thanks I did not see that before. Clear now.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 10/30/06 02:51 AM
I just wanted to point out to rmedgar that I'm the original owner of the moniker of "thread killer". Read the following thread...

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001725;p=1

Once again...

;\) ;\) ;\) :p ;\)
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 11/01/06 04:24 PM
Wow, you folks create a great site with an tremendous amount of information, give us access to experts that will answer our questions, put up with our ignorance, and ignore our over active sense of humor, and then thank US for being here!

Joey said it better than I could. We should be thanking you.

So in a rare moment of clarity I will be serious and say...Thank you. Thank you to Bob Lusk for creating this site, writing the great books, producing the fantastic magazine, and bringing well needed attention to this obsession/hobby/unintentional vocation that we call pond management. Thanks you Mike Otto and Sherman Wyman, although I am ignorant of what roles you are playing here I'm sure that you are helping to keep this forum alive and well. Thank you to the moderators of this board, Bruce, Theo, Ewest, Bill, and Dave [I apologize if I left out anyone] for donating your time and effort to make this place possible. Your wisdom and sense of humor is greatly appreciated by this lowly member. I don't think that any of us members truly realize the time committment that it takes to make this such a great place. With out your effort this site simply would not be possible. And finally thanks to my fellow members, it's great to have a chance to "chat" with some of you, see photos of your ponds, share your victories and defeats. Special member thanks to DIED, for welcoming me into his home, being so generous with his both his time and Gambusia (spelling). I am a better person for having had interaction with you all.

And my final thanks goes to the "Sunnyville Institute for the Very Very Very Nervous" for declairing that I am no longer a threat to myself and others and allowing me to participate in this forum. PS please send more of the blue pills.

ok, come on, did you REALLY think that I was going to get through all of that without some humor... \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 11/01/06 11:04 PM
Jeff we are all on the same journey just at different points along the way. It is as much fun for number 3 ( Bob Lusk) as it is for me (1798) and for the members in the 3000s . Its about learning and sharing the many experiences with the remarkable PB members who we interact with along our collective path. I have said this before and will again -- there is no better group of people to be around and share the journey with than those here!!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 11/01/06 11:35 PM
jeff, i've never seen mr. otto post here, perhaps he did long ago. but if i figure him correctly, he'd be happy to talk direct on the phone about dirt, dirt moving, bottomscaping, leaky ponds, anything pond construction related. he's probably too busy for this computer stuff cause he's either movin dirt, tellin someone where to move it, designing a dam or tellin someone how to build one......you get the picture. i have the profoundest respect for guys like otto and i'm glad to know a couple out here like him, couldnt have done my project w/out them. if he's anything like my friend mike, his fingers are too big to work the dern keyboard anyway but they can tickle a lever on a 23 ton trackhoe and pick up a pebble with a 4 ft bucket.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 11/01/06 11:55 PM
I know Otto (dang sure not Mr. Otto) and you are close to right. He is also the most generous soul you will ever meet. Oh yeah, he has a world class temper and a sense of humor that can only be described as evil. Ya gotta be careful around him.

For those who will be coming to the Convention next March, I have been making plans on just how much enjoyment the attendees can get out of Mikey. Those who showed up in Georgia will understand that type of preparation on my part.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: All you crazy newbies!! - 11/02/06 01:39 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:
Thank you to the moderators of this board, Bruce, Theo, Ewest, Bill, and Dave [I apologize if I left out anyone] ...
Just "DD1" and most of my assorted multiple personalities. But 4 out of 5 of us forgive you. \:D

You're welcome, 5 out of 5.
© Pond Boss Forum