Pond Boss
Posted By: Big Jake Fertilizer - 06/28/05 01:03 PM
I am using liquid fertilizer 10-52-0. In the past I have been able to get the standard greenish tint bloom, but this tear my bloom is more of a tea color similar to a plankton die off after several days of cloudy weather however the skys are clear and sunny. I have a sechi desk reading of about 16-18 inches. Is this a bloom or what?

Thanks, Jake
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fertilizer - 06/28/05 01:28 PM
Can you measure dissolved oxygen? If so check it in afternoon, report DO reading back here. Also take temperature. I can find somewhere around here a sturation chart. If at 16-18 inches if phyto bloom it will 140% or higher. I have a % saturation on my meter but this is best way to tell if color is from something non photsynthetic producing.

Jake you just need to get the water solube fertilizer from us when you use the last of that liquid. ;\)
Posted By: Big Jake Re: Fertilizer - 06/28/05 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info Greg, I am in the process of calibrating the D.O. meter and will post the results in the next day or two. Should I take the D.O. reading at differnt depths with the temps coresponding with those depths or just one readings and temp about 18 inches?

Jake
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fertilizer - 06/29/05 01:58 AM
Actually not even 18 inches. Right on the surface is what you want to measure to determine if phyto is there.
Posted By: Big Jake Re: Fertilizer - 06/29/05 12:08 PM
Greg, here are the results
Surface D.O. 5.85 temp 81F
3 foot 4.60 temp 81F
6 foot 2.84 temp 79F

Thanks for the help

Jake
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fertilizer - 07/02/05 04:45 PM
BJ, you are definenetly not super saturated with these DO readings. If taken on sunny day your visibility is 100% not from phytoplanktobn. We checked a pond yesterday 21 inch visibility and 10.4 DO at 82 degrees.

Did you ever add any ag lime to the pond? If not it seems thts might be necessary before the fertilizer will work its magic.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fertilizer - 07/02/05 04:57 PM
Greg, I thought oxygen saturation was 7.9 ppm at 82 degrees F.

Does that mean that the water you were testing was supersaturated from all the phytoplankton? How high above saturation can water get?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fertilizer - 07/04/05 02:25 PM
Bruce yea that is exactly my point. When looking at phyto blooms we measure the % DO saturation. If checked in afternoon after day of sunlight it can be above 150%. I have readings of 150% or higher quite often. This is why I say if 100% or less more than likely not from phyto bloom. Pretty good tool to employ along with secchi disc.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Fertilizer - 07/04/05 03:06 PM
Good info Greg!
Posted By: Joey Re: Fertilizer - 10/23/06 11:15 PM
Next year I will give fertilization a try. I got the pond soil and water ready to go out tomarrow for testing.

I bought some of Dunns trophy grower liquid. I wasnt thinking when I bought it but now I am wondering something. Does fertilizer have a shelf life? Also can it get cold, if I left it in the garage it could freeze, or should I bring it inside.
© Pond Boss Forum