Pond Boss
Posted By: Rad Fertilizer - 03/06/05 09:32 AM
Hi'
I am new here and have a new pond, 2/10 acre. It's a trapizoid shape borrow pond about 10 deep at the deepest point. The water is ground water and started filling the pond during excavation. Two weeks later it is about 7'and about all I will get until the monsoon in April/May. I am located in southern Thailand and the government will sell, tilapia, various barbs and catfish for about 2 1/2 cents per fingerling. I am very limited to what is available for predator fish. But, will work on that later. What I am wondering is are the fertilizers mentioned here just commercial fetilizers that are available at any feed store or are they specilized for fish ponds? I am in a farming community and fertilizer is readily available.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Fertilizer - 03/06/05 04:02 PM
This link might help with your question.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000040

If the fertilizer is not made to quickly disolve in water it will sink to the bottom & encourage rooted plant growth.

In the last post on the above thread Greg suggests ways to make it work such as drilling holes in buckets, filling with fert. & putting in the pond.
Posted By: Rad Re: Fertilizer - 03/07/05 01:52 AM
Thanks, just might do the trick.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Fertilizer - 03/07/05 02:16 PM
Rad,

You didn't ask, but from one who has been there...go very slow on the fertilizer...it can turn into disaster very quickly.
Posted By: Rad Re: Fertilizer - 03/08/05 01:51 AM
Thanks for the hint, I will everything seems to grow well here, wanted or not. I am fertilizing the bank plantings and expect some run off will be what I start with. I am adding 200 forage fish today.
© Pond Boss Forum