Pond Boss
Posted By: Pottsy 7-7-7 Fertilizer - 08/07/02 05:18 PM
The cheapest fertilizer I can come up with around here that I can easily get and trasport that doesn't come pre-loaded with weed killer. (In bags) is 7-7-7. What are peoples thoughts on this? I tried to locate an X-X-0, but no dice...
Posted By: Don Wray Re: 7-7-7 Fertilizer - 08/07/02 05:43 PM
The phosphate content is pretty low Pottsy....will take more to accomplish the same...are there no fertilizer plants around Ottawa
Posted By: Pottsy Re: 7-7-7 Fertilizer - 08/08/02 03:42 PM
There is a couple of feed/seed stores but relative closeness to 'wealthy' area's has driven all of their prices up. On the advice of Dave Davidson I am going to go for a drive and see if I can find a store with bulk liquid fertilizer... something in a 10-26-0 should be correct from what I have seen posted.? Phosphate is the second number correct?
Posted By: Don Wray Re: 7-7-7 Fertilizer - 08/08/02 05:09 PM
Right....first number is nitrogen, don't want alot of that, second is phosphate, and third is potassium. The liquid will probably work quicker too...it took mine about 3 weeks to even begin to develop but it's looking good now. I just carried the bags out about 10 feet and laid them on the bottom in about 2 feet of water, tied a string to one corner of the bag and the other end to a snag on the bank, then split the bag open in a cross and removed the center plastic. It is dissolving slowly and seems to be about half gone.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: 7-7-7 Fertilizer - 08/09/02 02:33 PM
Potts, I would talk to someone knowledgeable about the amount of fertilizer to add. It might be different in Canada than here in Texas. Overfertilization can be lethal to your fish but highly appreciated by noxious vegetation. Be careful. Another point: The fertilizer is heavier than water. Make sure that you mist it onto the water instead of dumping or spraying. I've seen a lot of recommendations about how to add fertilizer but this method has worked well for me. Just remember that it is better to slightly underfertilize than to overdo it.
© Pond Boss Forum