Pond Boss
Posted By: nvcdl Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/23/19 05:01 PM

Not having any luck finding adult bluegills in Virginia or nearby. Most of places withing driving distance only have fingerlings (even if they advertize big ones).

Any suggestions?
Maybe head to a local lake with pole and worms? Lake Orange? Know anyone with a pond with bluegills?
Posted By: CJD Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/24/19 04:04 AM
Wait until mid summer when they will be more plentiful. Same thing for me when I was looking to add some larger gills to my NC property earlier this season.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/24/19 12:24 PM
Solitude Lake Management

Have you reached out to these guys?
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/24/19 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Solitude Lake Management

No - they seem to be more about pond management than providing stock.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/24/19 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: nvcdl
Solitude Lake Management

Still probably worth a phone call.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 05/24/19 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: nvcdl
Solitude Lake Management

Still probably worth a phone call.

Thanks for the suggestion
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/07/19 11:47 PM
Never got a response from that outfit.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/11/19 01:50 PM
Drove up to Zetts in WVA and picked up 275 4"-5" bluegills Sunday - weather was perfect for transporting - around 71 degrees and overcast. All seemed to survive the trip. Zetts had them nicely packed up and ready for me on arrival.
What did they cost?
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/13/19 01:01 AM
2.50 ea - he threw in 25 for no charge (charged me for 250). The prep was nice with the fish packed 25 to a bag placed in heavy duty cardboard boxes with a couple frozen water bottles to keep them cool (11 boxes total) - no extra charge for the boxes et al.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/13/19 02:11 AM
It is great that you was able to find some.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/13/19 03:45 PM
Yes - the key was talking to Mr. Zett himself. I was suprised to find out that they do NOT pellet feed their fish - they live off the natural food in the ponds. Had hoped to get some bigger fish but in retrospec these fish are probably the best option - too big for all but a couple bass in the pond to eat and all young fish that should be spawning next spring. They were all pretty consistent size wise - about 4.5" to 5.5".
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 06/29/19 10:31 PM
Update: I've been had feeding the bluegills for last couple weeks. As none of fish were pellet trained at first only a few small bluegills seemed to be interested in pellets. Interest has picked up and now I have good crowd of bluegills gathering around the dock with the bulk appearing to be the recently stocked Zetts bluegills. Also have a good sized bass that is hanging out to attack distracted feeding bluegills.
Posted By: JohnR Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 08/10/19 07:19 PM
Have you seen the FishWagon? https://www.fishwagon.com/index.html
I know they deliver in southern, VA.

I'm trying to find someone that will sell golden shiners to me in my area. Need some variety for my LMB's other than just bream.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 08/15/19 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnR
Have you seen the FishWagon? https://www.fishwagon.com/index.html
I know they deliver in southern, VA.

I'm trying to find someone that will sell golden shiners to me in my area. Need some variety for my LMB's other than just bream.

Just sent them an email to see if they are making any central Virginia deliveries.

I wouldn't mind picking up some more bluegills and a few bass fingerlings.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 08/15/19 05:30 PM
I have bought stock from the Fishwagon for years. Generally, they dont have anything but fingerlings. Their stops are normally at Southern States Co-OP locations.

My favorite supplier in recent years has been Southeast Pondstockers from Curry, NC. Except for grass carp, and in cooler months Hybrid Striped Bass, they too generally only provide fingerlings. Their stops in Virginia are usually at Tractor Supply locations.

Regards,
Ken

Frederick County, VA
Hampshire County, WV
Brunswick County, NC
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Source for grown bluegills in Virginia - 08/15/19 07:52 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I have bought stock from the Fishwagon for years. Generally, they dont have anything but fingerlings. Their stops are normally at Southern States Co-OP locations.

My favorite supplier in recent years has been Southeast Pondstockers from Curry, NC. Except for grass carp, and in cooler months Hybrid Striped Bass, they too generally only provide fingerlings. Their stops in Virginia are usually at Tractor Supply locations.

Regards,
Ken

Frederick County, VA
Hampshire County, WV
Brunswick County, NC

Thanks for the info. I'd consider stocking more small bluegill in the spring once the weeds add a lot of cover. I'm thinking they would be easy pickings for the bass in the fall/winter once the weeds start dying.
© Pond Boss Forum